Victoria CPL

13 minutes ago, ktf said:

The launch event was quite nice and gave off a good vibe. I was not confident in the purple, but with the lagoon blue I really like the combination. I think, in my incredibly bias opinion, that it is easily in the top two logos so far. I do really like Halifax as well. 

I am also member number 80! Sorry for not showing the tweet;)!

Totally agree the logo is way better than expected. Even the purple looks nice. 

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, King_cheetah said:

lol, you're not from here I take it. There's actually non-binding ballot measures about this in two of the 13(!) municipalities that make up Greater Victoria in the elections this year. As much as it would make sense to have some level of amalgamation, you're basically asking bureaucrats to work themselves out of jobs.

Which is why most of the amalgamation ballots failed in the last election as well. We've also seen this in the ongoing waste treatment debate.

Raeside had the best description of the issue

Image result for Raeside victoria municipalities

The end result is that one can expect the media in Victoria to be supportive of the local team as they have been when the Highlanders played in Langford and when the Rebels decided to move there as well.

Not to mention the support for the University of Saanich Vikings.??

In regards to RAP, the difference is not about leases being written in stone but how organizations flex their political muscles. The HarbourCats have been successful in this regards as they have control over RAP long before the season starts. The stadium is already in baseball configuration by the spring and there is little that the city can do about it.

86 in the first 7 hours is not quite York 9 territory, but probably closer to its trajectory than Hamilton and Winnipeg I would have thought. Given the move of "Port City" from Surrey to Victoria was a last minute thing that's not surprising. They'll still have more work to do to reach the people they need to reach in awareness terms. This is the latest that shows up on twitter:

Best bit of news in the official press release was this:

http://canpl.ca/article/pacific-football-club-unveiled-as-vancouver-islands-new-canadian-premier-league-club

Pacific FC will play out of a redesigned Westhills Stadium in Langford, BC. The venue will feature steep intimate seating for 6,500 spectators, a world-class grass pitch along with top-tier training facilities.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The venue will feature steep intimate seating for 6,500 spectators, a world-class grass pitch along with top-tier training facilities.

I missed that. Really?

There's turf right now, are they going to replace that with grass? That would be awesome!

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm no. 86, rarely tweet, sorry.

I'm no. 22

The event was good. The name and colours work. The crest looks to me like the logo for a Klingon Hippie commune but the trident is cool and could be used as a kind of secondary badge. At least that's how we (LSB's) were talking about it.

It's never good when a badge needs to be explained but the vibe in the building was excitement especially as everyone got to take photos in the new stadium thanks to a little green screen action:

new-stadium.jpg

15 hours ago, Rheo said:

Lots of new stuff in here including stadium details https://juneof86.com/2018/07/20/former-players-want-to-ease-pathway-for-future-stars/

-4000 seats added next year, another 4000 in  the second wave when they get rid of the pole. Also will be switching to grass

“Because we’re last to launch we’re maybe a little bit behind some of the other clubs, but we have an entire plan on the business side and the soccer operations side that we’re working towards,” Friend said.

Anyone esle notice this quote at the end? Does he mean last to launch of the 7 do far or the last as in the final team to launch? I assume Ottawa is still to be announced, and that there will be 8 teams to start.

I'm in at #19. I thought the event went well. Good energy in the room. At the end though, it seemed like quite a few people were leaving without lining up at the ticket table. What was up with them? Did they just come for the party? I thought they could have had a few more stations so people weren't waiting in line as long. Would have been nice to see a bit more selection in terms of merchandise.

There seemed to be quite a few news cameras. What has the media coverage been like in Victoria?

35 minutes ago, masster said:

I'm in at #19. I thought the event went well. Good energy in the room. At the end though, it seemed like quite a few people were leaving without lining up at the ticket table. What was up with them? Did they just come for the party? I thought they could have had a few more stations so people weren't waiting in line as long. Would have been nice to see a bit more selection in terms of merchandise.

There seemed to be quite a few news cameras. What has the media coverage been like in Victoria?

I didn't line up, because you could just sign up on your phone ?

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

“Because we’re last to launch we’re maybe a little bit behind some of the other clubs, but we have an entire plan on the business side and the soccer operations side that we’re working towards,” Friend said.

Anyone esle notice this quote at the end? Does he mean last to launch of the 7 do far or the last as in the final team to launch? I assume Ottawa is still to be announced, and that there will be 8 teams to start.

I definitely took it as last of this batch of seven starting fresh to launch as opposed to this being it for 2019. Edmonton was their own special case because of the YEG4CPL movement and the push to get the first team back, but Ottawa is a pre-existing club that has an entire soccer operations in place. Everyone is behind them, but Pacific FC is weeks and months behind the other six, but Rob was basically saying that just because nothing is being announced Friday doesn't mean the work hasn't been put in.

We were talking about training facilities, how involved Rob and Josh were going to be on the soccer opps side, next priority/timeline for a head coach, so that was the context for the quote.

Thanks to Rheo for sharing these all of the time. I appreciate it. And thanks to everyone who has clicked the link and read an article.

cheers, matthew

One thing that is very positive, extremely, is the announcement on the seating configuration. Westhills has very limited end zone areas. You could have imagined they'd renounce them, as on one side there is a building, another backs onto a pond. The space is not too large. So for them to say they will take what they have and go steep on either end, well that is fabulous. It ensures a fully surrounded pitch, and it seems to respond to supporter group ideas about how to make a space behind a goal particularly lively and intense, and get more people closer to the pitch. Apart from the fact that steep viewing is superior for seeing how football is played (as it is for dance). 

The suggestion that these stands will have roofs, which will intensity sound, is also excellent (just so non-Victorians know, rain is not a huge problem in the lower Vancouver Island, and I think in Langford it might even be drier than other parts of greater Victoria). Langford is taking a modest but functional venue and projecting it into real quality, despite the modest size. Very well done.

If Lake Side Buoys were involved in helping them make those decisions, very good work on your part.

9 hours ago, masster said:

Quite thorough. The launch was front page in the Times-Colonist, well covered on the two local TV stations and all over the media from CBC.ca to local news sites. Don't know what radio coverage was like because I never listen.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If Lake Side Buoys were involved in helping them make those decisions, very good work on your part.

I wish we could take credit. When you have owners like Josh and Rob, who know what sort of atmosphere they want, all we have to do is smile and nod when they talk about the stadium.

ie. one story going around is that during a meeting with Stew Young, the Mayor of Langford, they spoke about how far seats should be from the pitch and Josh said he wanted our players to be able to high-five people in the front row when taking a corner or a throw in.

1 hour ago, ted said:

ie. one story going around is that during a meeting with Stew Young, the Mayor of Langford, they spoke about how far seats should be from the pitch and Josh said he wanted our players to be able to high-five people in the front row when taking a corner or a throw in.

But that could be Josh just admitting how high a level he really played at, or enjoyed.  Okay, I am being nasty towards the guy. But the influence sounds positive, nice to hear they are not convincing the guy to make it posh.

The thing is, if we were to be really serious about this, every club in any league should be in position to change the size of their pitch, a few metres here and there, to the advantage of the team. If Victoria wants to take the length down a bit, build stands close and have fans on top, and play very high pressure with tight spaces and make Westhills into a stadium rivals hate, focusing on direct football--well fantastic.

I also understand that they need deeper ends for rugby, so they will clearly have to be able to remove at least one stand, and shift the centre line perhaps. 

According to the Times Colonist this morning they will name a coach in the fall. Riley O'Neill is a leading candidate at the moment, but it says there are 3-4 leading candidates and others asking. O'Neill would certainly qualify as an attempt to develop young Canadian coaching talent. He also had a decent career, although nothing to write home about, in Europe for a Canadian who went through the NCAA. 

The article also mentioned Josh and Rob would co manage, which is probably a good way to save money in the early stages.

I thought they couldn't add any seats on the east end because of the arena next door.  I see they found a way to throw some temporary stands onto the rugby in goal area.  

Nice that they want grass and covered grandstands.  This might replace Spruce Meadows as my favourite ground once they tell that hydro pole what to go do with itself.

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 10.10.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 10.10.04 AM.png

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Ok. I just put down $50 rather than quote the post above for y'all on the ignore function. Who's with me? Let's make Pacific FC the Green Bay Packers of the CPL. Although VI is way nicer than GB if you can ever make it out.

Victoria is awesome besides the fact the temp drops to plus 10 at night during the summers.....that's the only drawback. I told Ted about this.....the fact all your establishments only push local craft beers.....????

Archived