Victoria CPL

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...and it's bigger than the neighbourhood Hellas Verona represents...

Think you mean Chievo Verona, but agree with the general thrust of your argument that still using Victoria could be awkward under the circumstances. It's possible that there would have been no 2019 launch without Langford paying for this stadium upgrade, so the whims of the municipal politicians that signed off on that should be catered to.  

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm not from there, but personally I hear "Pacific FC" and I start thinking of tiny tropical islands. Sounds like a lot of people like the name though, so that's good.

We are a (not so) tiny tropical island - well for the next few weeks anyway. ;)

19 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

As a former and future resident of Vancouver Island, I am satisfied by Pacific FC.  Much better than Port City. 

At this point, as long as the name is not terrible / an abomination to football tradition, we can consider it a win.

It is better than the alternatives that were "floating" around.  ;)

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

... the widespread denial that Victoria has done NOTHING to want or deserve this team is glaring.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But people are very stubbornly ignoring that Victoria, as a municipality, could not give a damn, and won't give a cent.

OK, you are missing the point. "Victoria" or "Greater Victoria" is a community and is not the same thing as the municipality called the "City of Victoria" (CoV) or sometimes referred to as "Victoria Proper".

Sure the CoV doesn't whore itself out to developers like Langford but that doesn't mean that everyone supports all the stupid decisions made by the current Mayor and Council. They are facing elections this fall and I expect the mayor to be defeated.

And BTW Royal Atheltic Park is not on the table because the Harbourcats control the dates available and the CoV takes forever to make a decisions not because of any antipathy to the club by council AFAIK.

This negativity is pointless and as you yourself have said, using "Victoria" just makes sense. 

49 minutes ago, ted said:

This negativity is pointless and as you yourself have said, using "Victoria" just makes sense

They are being more inclusive. In their promo, using Vancouver Island is aimed at getting the whole island behind the team.

The word Vancouver is good to get people on the mainland and medias to look that way.

Pacific makes pretty much all of BC care about the team as they view themselves as a Pacific province.

Whatever gets eyeballs on TV and buts in the seats is all that matters in year 1.

Down the road, if Nanaimo gets a D3 or D2 team and more teams like Surrey, Kelowna and Metro Vancouver pops up, they can always change to Victoria, although there's little reason to do that

53 minutes ago, ted said:

We are a (not so) tiny tropical island - well for the next few weeks anyway. ;)

It is better than the alternatives that were "floating" around.  ;)

OK, you are missing the point. "Victoria" or "Greater Victoria" is a community and is not the same thing as the municipality called the "City of Victoria" (CoV) or sometimes referred to as "Victoria Proper".

Sure the CoV doesn't whore itself out to developers like Langford but that doesn't mean that everyone supports all the stupid decisions made by the current Mayor and Council. They are facing elections this fall and I expect the mayor to be defeated.

And BTW Royal Atheltic Park is not on the table because the Harbourcats control the dates available and the CoV takes forever to make a decisions not because of any antipathy to the club by council AFAIK.

This negativity is pointless and as you yourself have said, using "Victoria" just makes sense. 

Off topic, but you seem plugged in. Any prospect of amalgamation of the various municipalities? To an outsider, it is baffling that there are three Saanich's or that View Royal even exists.  

1 minute ago, Soro17 said:

Off topic, but you seem plugged in. Any prospect of amalgamation of the various municipalities? To an outsider, it is baffling that there are three Saanich's or that View Royal even exists.  

lol, you're not from here I take it. There's actually non-binding ballot measures about this in two of the 13(!) municipalities that make up Greater Victoria in the elections this year. As much as it would make sense to have some level of amalgamation, you're basically asking bureaucrats to work themselves out of jobs.

30 minutes ago, King_cheetah said:

lol, you're not from here I take it. There's actually non-binding ballot measures about this in two of the 13(!) municipalities that make up Greater Victoria in the elections this year. As much as it would make sense to have some level of amalgamation, you're basically asking bureaucrats to work themselves out of jobs.

Not really. When Montreal, Gatineau, Quebec City and Longueuil merged, no one lost their jobs. You just make the bureaucracy bigger. Some roles for some of them do change.

Same for Toronto. 

Take it from a public servant, politicians cares very little about what the bureaucracy thinks.

3 hours ago, ted said:

I am, I think, only partially missing the point. If the City of Victoria had political will, they could simply add a soccer team to the deal at Royal Athletic Park. We know this because they did it before, when the PDL team played there. No agreement for use of a public facility is written in stone.

Apart from that, I think I have a post from early May where I analyse the Harbourcats schedule, and determine how many times the configuration of that venue would have to be altered in a season. First, consider the CPL season starts before the 3-month baseball season, and goes well after, there are dates allowing for more home games in those periods. Further, since a team does not play home every weekend, and the baseball team does not either, and since schedules can be adjusted so that two independently owned teams can share a venue (Whitecaps, BC Lions), it was by no means an unsurrmountable problem. And would have allowed the municipality to maximise use of a public facility. 

And of course, if the municipality of Vic had gotten in on this, and RAP had been the venue, then we all agree that the options for calling the team "Victoria" something would have been way higher. I imagine that now, with Westhills as the venue for launch, and the investment they will put into it, the CPL team will sign a mid-to-long term deal for the use of the venue, and that no stadium, and as a consequence name change would occur in the immediate future.

Pfc could be bigger but really sharp.  If you can barely make out the name on the logo on a big screen you have zero shot with a shirt or hat.  Also what does that logo/Pfc mean to a non fan? I’d think it was a local corporation.

56 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Pfc could be bigger but really sharp.  If you can barely make out the name on the logo on a big screen you have zero shot with a shirt or hat.  Also what does that logo/Pfc mean to a non fan? I’d think it was a local corporation.

It shows the Douglas fir, shape of Vancouver Island and Pacific Ocean. All connected for anyone living on the Isle.

The colours are also very apropos.

I have to say Voyageurs really seem to have a hatred for logos that don't fit a certain traditional mold.

16 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's a douglas fir?  I was thinking lighthouse. It's a bad logo.  The two colours don't work well together.

Blue & purple are close to each other on the colour wheel, so they actually are standard colours to match up together.

The first club membership of Pacific FC was given to every 14 year old on the island. That will continue as each year, on their 14th birthday, youth across the island will be granted club memberships.”

I think this is a great idea to build some good-will from the community, and hopefully help to build some support for the club in the short and long term. 

40 minutes ago, red card said:

Blue & purple are close to each other on the colour wheel, so they actually are standard colours to match up together.

Agreed that blue and purple can work well together, but that shade of blue and purple do not.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's a douglas fir?  I was thinking lighthouse. It's a bad logo.  The two colours don't work well together.

this is pretty much it. while the rationale and the 'inspiration behind the logo are cool, it's just executed poorly. the shades of blue and purple they chose clash and the actual design elements of the logo are poorly done. I actually don't mind the name at all, though.

The launch event was quite nice and gave off a good vibe. I was not confident in the purple, but with the lagoon blue I really like the combination. I think, in my incredibly bias opinion, that it is easily in the top two logos so far. I do really like Halifax as well. 

I am also member number 80! Sorry for not showing the tweet;)!

Archived