Victoria CPL

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

That's exactly what's needed but I don't think the provincial bodies can do it outside of Quebec and Ontario. Going back to the CSA plan to overhaul D3 to change it into a CHL format with CPL announcing that they want to occupy D3 as well means that CPL might be the best way that this will happen as they could have the resources to coordinate such an endeavor.

Realistically, that would mean CPL would absorb PLSQ and L1O while starting a Western League like the CHL

• League 1 Ontario
  • Ligue 1 du Quebec et des Maritimes 
  • League 1 West

The 3 champions of each leagues face each other and the host city in a Memorial Cup tournament

Memorial Cup winner promotes to CPL II

Largely agree we won't see a single one for every province. I could see BC + Alberta and Saskatchewan +Manitoba leagues.

4 leagues would be a nice number.

don't exactly like the idea of adding a team to the maybe CPL 2 cause it could be bad for the d3 teams money wise and could kill some CPL markets if they had to drop to the regional leagues. I also want to see D3 stick to being about development (I know some might disagree and that's fine)

Also not big on Pacific FC. The use of Pacific feels kind of vague, played out and bland to me (the later especially after that really bland Weezer album last year...which I am now listening to lol). I feel there were better options, heck Cascadia FC would be better as it could drive a rivalry with the region's 3 MLS teams. Do wish they just had gone in as Victoria's team but I guess they worried about market size.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking: it could have been worse. I'd have preferred Victoria but it was obvious they wanted to represent the whole Island. Pacific FC kind covers it. There's more clubs out there which are named after a geographical feature, so it fits in soccer naming traditions.

Not too bad at all. 

I am surprised that so many people here are insisting on Victoria, when the team will not play in Victoria. 

This is by no means a minor point. Harping on it suggests you are simply not thinking the question through.

The city of Victoria has, as far as we can see, not put a single cent into this, nor did they show the interest when they had the chance. They could have thought about maximising the use of Royal Athletic Park, but they didn't. Victoria has not shown any interest in having a pro soccer club. Langford has.

Why gift the publicity, in terms of marketing and brand projection, to a town that has done nothing to deserve it?

If I were the mayor of Langford, I'd be asking: here I am saving a CPL franchise, floundering in the Fraser Valley, by offering a stadium we have built in my municipality. A stadium we are working hard to get us out of, with Canada rugby having a base there. We have it done with our political will, with our residents' tax effort and the administrative work of public and private sectors-- and the team is going to be labelled "Victoria"? 

This is not the case of a team starting in a city, then moving to the suburbs, retaining its metropolitan area branding. Like the Whitecaps did when they moved across a street into Burnaby, where Swangard is, after their first iteration at Empire Stadium. It is not like some NFL team moving miles out of the original city.

It is a new team, and it is going to Langford. Which if they are smart will develop an improved training centre out there for the team--they are probably working on this now in fact. 

Pacific is fine, not as poetical as Island, rather ambigous in terms of meaning. Soft, even, if you like. The irony: Langford only has a tiny bit of coast, an inlet at the extreme north end, the rest, nearer Victoria, is fully landlocked.

Yeah well of course Langford isn't Victoria, but marketing Langford would be pretty silly (I guess you'd agree). Victoria is the central city (not even the biggest), hence the naming after it. I can understand Langford not being ok with Victoria in the name, however the only name positive (I mean publicity wise) for that municipality would be Langford. And it's not that either. 

18 hours ago, ted said:

Fuuuuuuuck me! They did exactly what I was afraid of. Vancouver Island is not a city FFS. 

I truly hope this doesn't come back to haunt them and in the meantime I will still sing Victoria!

"Long ago life was clean
Sex was bad, called obscene
And the rich were so mean
Stately homes for the Lords
Croquet lawns, village greens
Victoria was my queen
Victoooooooria, Victoooooooria, Victoria, 'toria"

Do you guys sing this at Highlanders games?

13 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Does purple represent Victoria or the island in some way?

It is a "royal" colour and we are named for a Queen. Also Lavender is farmed here and it one of the mix of colours you will find in the ocean which surrounds us.

Also back in the 80's kids used to do something called "purple city". At night you would go downtown, stare into the floodlights at the Empress Hotel until you could see the bulbs and then turn around. All the lights on the Legislature building and around the harbour would be seen as purple instead of white for a time. Yeah, teenagers do dumb things. :)

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am surprised that so many people here are insisting on Victoria, when the team will not play in Victoria. 

They are playing in Greater Victoria. The postal address is "Victoria". Josh grew up in Langford but at the meeting he repeated what EVERYONE says when asked where they are from by outsiders, "I am from Victoria."

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Victoooooooria, Victoooooooria, Victoria, 'toria"

Do you guys sing this at Highlanders games?

Yes, we have been singing that one for years. :)

There may even be video of us doing it on an epidode of LSB TV.

29 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Why is this team not playing at Royal Athletic Park in the heart of Victoria ?

Because the Victoria Harbourcats baseball team play there and have priority on the schedule at the city-owned and operated facility.  

14 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Does purple represent Victoria or the island in some way?

For me, the problem is not so much does purple represent Victoria...it is does purple represent Pacific?

I like the colour purple for kits. I don't mind the name Pacific. It is the combination of the 2 that I can't wrap my head around. When you think of Pacific, purple is not the colour you think of.

3 minutes ago, shamrock said:

How awesome would it be the have St Johns joining as Atlantic FC? That's what you call coast-to-coast!

Which town would be the home of Arctic FC to make it coast-to-coast-to-coast?

13 hours ago, shamrock said:

I'm thinking: it could have been worse. I'd have preferred Victoria but it was obvious they wanted to represent the whole Island. Pacific FC kind covers it. There's more clubs out there which are named after a geographical feature, so it fits in soccer naming traditions.

Not too bad at all. 

That's a stretch given the size of the Pacific ocean. Also fuck tradition

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am surprised that so many people here are insisting on Victoria, when the team will not play in Victoria....

The team is playing in the Greater Victoria Region. It's not uncommon for teams based in the burbs to take the name of the main city.

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm not from there, but personally I hear "Pacific FC" and I start thinking of tiny tropical islands. Sounds like a lot of people like the name though, so that's good.

I picture hippies driving to California

Just now, shamrock said:

Yeah well of course Langford isn't Victoria, but marketing Langford would be pretty silly (I guess you'd agree). Victoria is the central city (not even the biggest), hence the naming after it. I can understand Langford not being ok with Victoria in the name, however the only name positive (I mean publicity wise) for that municipality would be Langford. And it's not that either. 

Pretty silly, I guess...

https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/stage/1812/about

It is only a question of perception and tired old ideas that die hard.

Langford is not smaller than Hoffenheim and a bit less populated than Villareal, and it's bigger than the neighbourhood Hellas Verona represents. All with top flight legacies in major world leagues. That said, sure, you could call it Victoria, I am not dumb. Only that the widespread denial that Victoria has done NOTHING to want or deserve this team is glaring.

Wondering if "Vancouver Island" will be on the crest. Hope so, and the club can be billed "Vancouver Island's Pacific FC" when the market moniker is attached to the CPL club as will happen as well with some of the other CPL clubs not having the City/Market name officially in their club name.

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Wondering if "Vancouver Island" will be on the crest. Hope so, and the club can be billed "Vancouver Island's Pacific FC" when the market moniker is attached to the CPL club as will happen as well with some of the other CPL clubs not having the City/Market name officially in their club name.

So you are suggesting VIP.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Pretty silly, I guess...

https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/stage/1812/about

It is only a question of perception and tired old ideas that die hard.

Langford is not smaller than Hoffenheim and a bit less populated than Villareal, and it's bigger than the neighbourhood Hellas Verona represents. All with top flight legacies in major world leagues. That said, sure, you could call it Victoria, I am not dumb. Only that the widespread denial that Victoria has done NOTHING to want or deserve this team is glaring.

True.

But on Hoffenheim, it's in a region with millions of people. 

Just now, shamrock said:

True.

But on Hoffenheim, it's in a region with millions of people. 

You are obviously right, Shamrock. Villareal, too, draws on the base of a larger nearby city whose team used to be in top flight, Castellon, as well as people with beach apartments in the region.

And using Victoria would be best, the ideal marketing. As I say, I am not dumb. 

But people are very stubbornly ignoring that Victoria, as a municipality, could not give a damn, and won't give a cent. Putting that name on the team, in those conditions, with such a poor political attitude on the part of that municipality, would be a slight to those who really do care. Namely a politician and his base in Langford. The same guy who incredibly shrewdly got the name of his town alongside Dubai, Sydney and Paris.

Archived