Victoria CPL

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I’m not sure about the decision to operate separately.  How do the highlanders think that’s a good idea if their fan base is going to be pulled away?  A place for young players to go on loan?

Also, how are they satisfied with a season that ends in July?  That’s just crazy.

I agree with both Friend has said an now the PDL owners are saying...the leagues have fundamentally different purposes and can coexist. The Highlanders probably have to expect that their attendance may drop, but maybe they hope for a rising tide that will lift all boats. They said they will have discussions about partnerships, maybe port city will eventually help subsidize them in exchange for a loan agreement

Without an equivalent pro-am league in bc, and apparently little interest in forming one, I don't think they have much choice about the short season

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I’m not sure about the decision to operate separately.  How do the highlanders think that’s a good idea if their fan base is going to be pulled away?  A place for young players to go on loan?

Also, how are they satisfied with a season that ends in July?  That’s just crazy.

It's a good thing to have a clear pathway. Highlanders feeding CPL Victoria is a positive. It serves no one to merge everything as you create a hole somewhere else. Both are needed.

We need more, not less. Hoping for a D2 or D3 Nanaimo team

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'd like to see Highlanders and TSS Rovers lead the way on forming the BC equivalent of the L1O, but this probably isn't the forum for that.

That's exactly what's needed but I don't think the provincial bodies can do it outside of Quebec and Ontario. Going back to the CSA plan to overhaul D3 to change it into a CHL format with CPL announcing that they want to occupy D3 as well means that CPL might be the best way that this will happen as they could have the resources to coordinate such an endeavor.

Realistically, that would mean CPL would absorb PLSQ and L1O while starting a Western League like the CHL

• League 1 Ontario
  • Ligue 1 du Quebec et des Maritimes 
  • League 1 West

The 3 champions of each leagues face each other and the host city in a Memorial Cup tournament

Memorial Cup winner promotes to CPL II

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

That's exactly what's needed but I don't think the provincial bodies can do it outside of Quebec and Ontario. Going back to the CSA plan to overhaul D3 to change it into a CHL format with CPL announcing that they want to occupy D3 as well means that CPL might be the best way that this will happen as they could have the resources to coordinate such an endeavor.

Realistically, that would mean CPL would absorb PLSQ and L1O while starting a Western League like the CHL

• League 1 Ontario
  • Ligue 1 du Quebec et des Maritimes 
  • League 1 West

The 3 champions of each leagues face each other and the host city in a Memorial Cup tournament

Memorial Cup winner promotes to CPL II

The BC Soccer association proposed it a few years ago, but couldn't get teams to buy in at the time.  I don't know if they would now either, but considering the moaning from TSS about "why can't we be in the Voyagers Cup?" (a BC1 winner would surely get an early berth, like L1O and Quebec) and the Highlanders maybe needing something non-PDL, it would maybe make sense for BC to try again.

42 minutes ago, ted said:

Fuuuuuuuck me! They did exactly what I was afraid of. Vancouver Island is not a city FFS. 

I truly hope this doesn't come back to haunt them and in the meantime I will still sing Victoria!

They were never going to use Victoria in the name.  Never.  They very clearly don't want to use city names.  FC Edmonton got grandfathered in, and Ottawa might get the same.  That's it.  I think it's ridiculous to not use some city names, but that's how it is.

37 minutes ago, Raven1555362272 said:

I like the name. Pacific FC, as someone who lives close to Victoria I like how it takes in the whole coastal region. I feel like I can own it. 

You know what, I'll take "Pacific" over bloody "Vancouver Island" any day. ;)

44 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Not a chance. I've lived up and down this island and there really is a regional identity. Victoria often feels isolated from that though 

My main problem is that you try working "Vancouver Island" into a pithy, singable chant/song? ;)

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The BC Soccer association proposed it a few years ago, but couldn't get teams to buy in at the time.  I don't know if they would now either, but considering the moaning from TSS about "why can't we be in the Voyagers Cup?" (a BC1 winner would surely get an early berth, like L1O and Quebec) and the Highlanders maybe needing something non-PDL, it would maybe make sense for BC to try again.

Highlanders (and TSS) would be smart to push and help create a "League 1 BC/Western Canada" and ditch the USL PDL.

32 minutes ago, ted said:

My main problem is that you try working "Vancouver Island" into a pithy, singable chant/song? ;)

Ah yes. Different priorities I suppose. That would be tricky but I'm sure with a bit of creativity...

3 hours ago, ted said:

Fuuuuuuuck me! They did exactly what I was afraid of. Vancouver Island is not a city FFS. 

I truly hope this doesn't come back to haunt them and in the meantime I will still sing Victoria!

FWIW, the only city the CPL tweeted out in their pre-announcement hype videos that actually ended up in the club's name so far is Edmonton.

5 hours ago, ESG Shawn said:

Per multiple twitter accounts, the new club will be named Pacific FC. I do like the name and Purple as a primary colour will be nice. 

Don't live there but for my two cents, I love the idea of purple as a main colour for the club. Those of us in BCF are continuously hinting at a purple-gold-white colour scheme for the eventual Saskatoon club. So if Pacific FC, as it is strongly hinted as being name, does go purple as a main colour, well I'd be jealous right out of the gate.

I am not entirely sure on my feelings about the name yet. I like Pacific FC, but I feel like it could be better. Vancouver Island is a little unwieldy for names, which is why I find it hard to complain. I am less impressed with the fact that it seems purple will be the main colour. I was hoping for blue, but I guess we lost out to Halifax and Edmonton in that battle. 

Archived