Victoria CPL

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, C2SKI said:

I moved from Victoria years ago now, but for whatever reason it's never seemed to me like the fanbase on the island bought into the Highlanders.

When they had games at Royal Athletic, where I went just once, I thought it was cosy and friendly. It had potential. U Vic is a long way out and that venue has no warmth. 

I don't think the name is great, but I doubt it is the key factor by any means.

But there is another thing to consider: maybe PDL is in fact too small for Victoria. Just a musing, but thinking this way: PDL is very successful in Thunder Bay, for example, because it is the right fit  for T-Bay. They don't have a long summer, there is not a lot to do sports-wise, it is smaller. And then, they can put a decent team on the field, get results, win a championship, and get near to a thousand fans out. That is wonderful, it fits right. 

Maybe Victoria needs a bit more than that. 

My feeling, deep down, is that I am glad the mayor of Langford was on the ball, but if they went to Royal Athletic, they would have the potential to draw 30% more fans. I think Westhills will have problems getting 5000 out, for reasons of distance, traffic, parking and because the area has none of the charm of being near the centre.

Update https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/sports/langford-cpl-team-a-one-touch-pass-away-from-being-a-done-deal/

Mayor met with BC Hydro last week

• “I’m so encouraged that this is going to happen unless there’s any unforeseen circumstances,” Young said. He added B.C. Hydro is doing the leg work to figure out the exact cost of moving pole while the City of Langford is applying for federal and provincial funding. 

11 hours ago, shamrock said:

I hope they do. But as that would mean the CPL group would probably have to buy out the new ownership, chances are small. 

Buying out the current owners couldn't be that much especially if they were to become minority owners, retaining a stake in the team. We cannot be talking huge numbers here.

11 hours ago, C2SKI said:

You like the name? I've never understood how someone chose Highlanders to represent Victoria

A colony founded by a man named Douglas, built by men with names like Tolmie, Rithet, Finlayson were all important to the building of Victoria. Our local army regiment is the Canadian Scottish (Princess Mary's). Our annual highland games have been going on for 150+ years. ( see more: http://www.timescolonist.com/our-history-the-scots-who-helped-build-b-c-1.1065061)

It may be six degrees of separation to Kevin Bacon, but in Victoria it's one degree to someone of Scots heritage.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

When they had games at Royal Athletic, where I went just once, I thought it was cosy and friendly. It had potential. U Vic is a long way out and that venue has no warmth. 

I don't think the name is great, but I doubt it is the key factor by any means.

But there is another thing to consider: maybe PDL is in fact too small for Victoria. Just a musing, but thinking this way: PDL is very successful in Thunder Bay, for example, because it is the right fit  for T-Bay. They don't have a long summer, there is not a lot to do sports-wise, it is smaller. And then, they can put a decent team on the field, get results, win a championship, and get near to a thousand fans out. That is wonderful, it fits right. 

Maybe Victoria needs a bit more than that. 

My feeling, deep down, is that I am glad the mayor of Langford was on the ball, but if they went to Royal Athletic, they would have the potential to draw 30% more fans. I think Westhills will have problems getting 5000 out, for reasons of distance, traffic, parking and because the area has none of the charm of being near the centre.

Could not agree more with everything you said here. 

RAP would be better, the PDL is too small, UVic's Centennial has the warm, homey charm of a high school cafeteria.

4 hours ago, ted said:

It may be six degrees of separation to Kevin Bacon, but in Victoria it's one degree to someone of Scots heritage

I'm well aware. I'm largely of Scots heritage myself. I've got the kilt and bagpipes and all that shit, but I don't see that as good reason to name a team that plays 5 meters above sea level The Highlanders. Or to choose team colours for my Scottish clan. It just doesn't make sense, and it's not inclusive or representative of the city. 

19 hours ago, ted said:

Buying out the current owners couldn't be that much especially if they were to become minority owners, retaining a stake in the team. We cannot be talking huge numbers here.

Is the only reason to buy out the current owners to retain the branding? Or are there other reasons that I'm not seeing? I'm not saying they wouldn't want to look into that, perhaps they want to have that branding enough to justify whatever the costs are.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Is the only reason to buy out the current owners to retain the branding? Or are there other reasons that I'm not seeing? I'm not saying they wouldn't want to look into that, perhaps they want to have that branding enough to justify whatever the costs are.

I would think it would be more to eliminate the competition, rather than anything to do with branding.  Not that PDL is on the same level, but in what's a smaller market you don't want any split in advertising/fan dollars.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I would "buy them out" in order to eliminate competition, bring useful people into the new team and to have a ready-made reserve/development team under whatever name.

The general public is easily confused. I heard a young man with his friends in the pub ysterday at lunch while watching Spain v Iran basically talk about how Victoria was building a new stadium to host World Cup games. I have heard from several people who were very excited to "hear" that the Highlanders were going to be in a new pro league.

1 hour ago, King_cheetah said:

I really don't think the CanPL owners are at all interested in the Highlanders branding. They seem (understandably) determined to start fresh on that front.

I don't understand the desire, "to start fresh". But then I'm a dinosaur who still thinks we should be Victoria United. I hate that I have to "change" teams every decade or so. I'd like to follow one team for the rest of my life like a "normal" fan.

22 minutes ago, ted said:

I would "buy them out" in order to eliminate competition, bring useful people into the new team and to have a ready-made reserve/development team under whatever name.

^^^ YES ^^^

24 minutes ago, ted said:

The general public is easily confused. I heard a young man with his friends in the pub ysterday at lunch while watching Spain v Iran basically talk about how Victoria was building a new stadium to host World Cup games. I have heard from several people who were very excited to "hear" that the Highlanders were going to be in a new pro league.

Hopefully a concerted marketing effort post-reveal will clear this up? If the CanPL is going to succeed, I think they're going to have to reach these casual, (momentarily) ill-informed fans.

25 minutes ago, ted said:

I don't understand the desire, "to start fresh". But then I'm a dinosaur who still thinks we should be Victoria United. I hate that I have to "change" teams every decade or so. I'd like to follow one team for the rest of my life like a "normal" fan.

I hear ya. I'm optimistic that our CanPL team will be that one that we can support forever, but I recognize that I might be overly optimistic. I'm certain that they want to be that team in any case. As far as their desire to start fresh, well, this is how I see it. They're a totally new venture, and they want a chance to establish themselves as a success from the start. Not that the Highlanders haven't had some level of success, but I think that they basically don't want any baggage weighing down their lofty dreams. No idea how close to the mark I am, just speculation on my part.

PS I feel ridiculous having a conversation on the forum with someone who's door I could knock on at coffee break ;) 

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

Considering the issue with the Hydro pole and the electricity lines beside the stadium, I vote that the side is named Dinamo Victoria or Dynamo Victoria.  You might as well embrace the reality of your existence. 

lol fairly appropriate. There's nothing quite like a team looking at their flaws and owning them.

46 minutes ago, ted said:

I don't understand the desire, "to start fresh". But then I'm a dinosaur who still thinks we should be Victoria United. 

I think I'd be willing to bet money that the team won't have Victoria in the name.  With the exception of the already established Edmonton club, no other team has put the city name in the club name.  It's clearly not want Peter Schaad wants for the marketing and "narrative" of each team.

Just to clear things up, there is a geographical/topographical region really close to where they are building the stadium called The Highlands, as well. Not entirely ethnically based, although the tartan has always made me uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, King_cheetah said:

PS I feel ridiculous having a conversation on the forum with someone who's door I could knock on at coffee break ;) 

Well you could have been at Felicita's for the comedy show that was Argentina v Croatia. ;)

2 minutes ago, yyj2cpl said:

Just to clear things up, there is a geographical/topographical region really close to where they are building the stadium called The Highlands, as well. Not entirely ethnically based, although the tartan has always made me uncomfortable.

Yep we have a Highlands and what's wrong with Tartan?!? I guarantee you that no matter what the name is for the CanPL team, there will be kilts and bagpipes in the stands. 

1 hour ago, ted said:

Well you could have been at Felicita's for the comedy show that was Argentina v Croatia. ;)

Yep we have a Highlands and what's wrong with Tartan?!? I guarantee you that no matter what the name is for the CanPL team, there will be kilts and bagpipes in the stands. 

As well there should be.

19 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Phony romanticized nonsense created to turn the Scots into canon fodder for the imperial war machine, if my well to the left of Karl Marx grandmother was to be believed.

Wait...you mean Mel Gibson"s movie Braveheart was not historically accurate? I'm shocked. Next someone will state that it used to be men who danced over/around swords, unlike all of the Highland dances of today.

AFTN with Rob Friend-Podcast isn’t up yet but direct link from CITR (starts an hour in)

https://playlist.citr.ca/podcasting/audio/2018/The-AFTN-Soccer-Show-June-24-23-01-00.mp3

-Goes over his story

-Vic got him involved, first mentioned three years ago. Skeptical but a year later met with PB and Mitchell and liked the business set up.

-Lower mainland (Surrey and Langley) was first option, thought underserved market.  Spent a year and a half working on it.  Stadium is important, offered investment but needed land lease from municipalities.  Took too long for 2019 launch.  Believes market is still viable and they’re put a lot of work in there already

-Josh Simpson is a business partner in real estate with Friend, was working on Vancouver Island himself with Friend advising and they merged when lower mainland wasn’t viable.

-Hydro pole update-can’t say much, phase 1 and 2 options if it can’t get done  to meet CPL stadium standards

-Talked Lake Side Buoys issues, said they’ve talked to Highlanders and engaged with supporters. Put over the good job the Highlanders have done as an amateur club but city deserves a professional club.  It’s two different product.  Open to partnerships because that level below the CPL is important.  Believes once they’re out in the community people will see that it’s for the island.  Said CPL will be working on an amateur league for college players to keep their amateur status.

-Repeatedly stressed “it’s not about who the owners are” and emphasis is on what the CPL will do for the greater good of the game in Canada.  Sounds like he’s still in play to own a team in the lower mainland at some point, stressing the year and a half of work they put into the region.  Still lots of talks going on.  Also said he's open to looking outside of Surrey and Langley to other places in the Fraser Valley (hosts speculated Coquitlam, Delta or Burnaby)

-Internally they have a lot to work on in the business end, that’s why they haven’t been out in the community yet.  July 20 plan for launch.

Hosts discussed everything he said, lots of local context talk especially with Highlanders.

As I just posted on the CPL thread, I think it is not correct that Friend has a hand in Victoria, in fact taking the lead, and thinks he can continue to work through (ie burn out) contacts in the Fraser Valley-Lower Mainland. So he spent a lot of work on the Vancouver options? Well maybe he is not really qualified, or did not do the best job. In Victoria, he has not done as well as he might have either. Personally, he seems like a weak link for CPL club ownership.

As I see it: let Friend concentrate, if he can, on Victoria, and make that work. And please: let someone else take the lead in Vancouver. Maybe even someone with more ability and knowledge would be able to pick up lost leads and revive them, something Friend does not at all seem willing to do (talking about other municipalites no originally in the mix).

On 6/21/2018 at 10:48 AM, ted said:

If the dinosaur only knew the true, dark history of Victoria United then he would probably recant that statement real quick.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

If the dinosaur only knew the true, dark history of Victoria United then he would probably recant that statement real quick.

That sounds like the beginning of a really interesting article or conversation some time. It also sounds like a great opportunity to face unpleasant history which is the first step in true reconciliation.

But since they are unlikely to use it, no point discussing it in this thread.

9 hours ago, ted said:

On a more relevant note: Victoria CPL Launch Party

If you are in Victoria come join the Lake Side Buoys and celebrate our community's re-entry into professional soccer.

Is that the official launch, or a Lake Side event?

Just asking, since we have not heard from the organisation officially it seems odd that the initiative in announcing the event is yours, not the club's.

If it is official: are we to be expecting a name release, merchandise, clear information on the stadium set up?

And if they will or will not find a way to have an endzone stand and supporter section when the configuration makes it a bit difficult?

Archived