Jump to content

Victoria CPL


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ted said:

Yeah, the T-C article talks about the market being the "Southern Island" or some such. I can't imagine many people coming down from Nanaimo and beyond, but maybe some diehards and for "big" games.
 

Yeah they should go with local. The die-hard wil; come regardless but you need the local as your biggest fans obviously. Especially in a small market. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Footscray said:

Too bad Rob Friend wasn't getting involved in the community in his own town and trying for a team or even a lower level team here in Kelowna, it's been growing faster than Victoria and while Kelowna metro is only 200k there are as many people in the valley within an hour drive of Kelowna as there are in Victoria now.

Happy for you guys in Victoria but I'm disappointed in how dead the scene is here lately and would have been nice to see our one pro product engage here instead of some other random city.

Be patient.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what I had posted in the new teams speculation thread on May 5th:

If you look at the tweet that the CSA put out announcing the four groups that have been accepted for professional club membership, it says Halifax, York Region, Calgary and Port City, BC. Well Port City is obviously not a place. So maybe I am reading into things too much, but perhaps the fact they were not specific lends credence to the theory that they don't exactly know where Port City is going to be yet. Maybe playing municipalities off against each other? Maybe waiting to see which stadium situation comes together first?

I think it is fair to say that this was pretty accurate. If they knew at the CSA AGM that it was going to be Victoria, or Southern Vancouver Island, they just would have said so. 2 weeks ago you had the Commish saying that Victoria still needed to be vetted. So I think the CSA approved an ownership group that was working on multiple locations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ted said:

We have been told they will be at the game tonight and we have the meeting tomorrow to make a goofy video that Peter Schaad can introduce. ;) 

All of those 'goofy videos' were shot at meetings that took place prior to the CSA AGM. Meetings took place in the lower mainland prior to the AGM. Meetings are taking place on the island this weekend. I think it is safe to say that there was a change in plans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, masster said:

This is what I had posted in the new teams speculation thread on May 5th:

If you look at the tweet that the CSA put out announcing the four groups that have been accepted for professional club membership, it says Halifax, York Region, Calgary and Port City, BC. Well Port City is obviously not a place. So maybe I am reading into things too much, but perhaps the fact they were not specific lends credence to the theory that they don't exactly know where Port City is going to be yet. Maybe playing municipalities off against each other? Maybe waiting to see which stadium situation comes together first?

I think it is fair to say that this was pretty accurate. If they knew at the CSA AGM that it was going to be Victoria, or Southern Vancouver Island, they just would have said so. 2 weeks ago you had the Commish saying that Victoria still needed to be vetted. So I think the CSA approved an ownership group that was working on multiple locations.

Reading the bottom half of that page is fun again:

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/31783-cpl-new-teams-speculation/?page=32

"Seems like Port City could just be a placeholder and might not know where the team will be based yet"

"CONSPIRACY THEORIES!"

Edited by mpg_29
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ted said:

Yeah, the T-C article talks about the market being the "Southern Island" or some such. I can't imagine many people coming down from Nanaimo and beyond, but maybe some diehards and for "big" games.
 

Will the CPL teams play in the Canadian Championship? If so, I could see potential games against Canadian MLS clubs attracting a regional audience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FootieFool said:

Will the CPL teams play in the Canadian Championship? If so, I could see potential games against Canadian MLS clubs attracting a regional audience.

Yes, CanPL teams will be playing in the VCup and yes, playing the Whitecaps at home will be special.

Just now, masster said:

Why would they release this news on the exact same day another large Victoria soccer story breaks?

That did seem odd, and certainly makes it less likely they have been working together in any way. :(

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crushed at this news of Friends group switching to Victoria as I was planning to buy seasons tickets along with some family and friends of mine.

 

Happy for the Victoria area fans though as they get their CPL club. This will be my club for now and I'll make it out for at least one or two matches in 2019. Hoping they go with Victoria United FC, the Victoria United moniker going back to 1904 and one of the oldest in North America.

Edited by CDNFootballer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think it's fair to say that the BC situation has been fairly messy and probably not the way the league wanted things to go.  That's not to say things won't work out, but the ownership probably has a bit of work to do.

BC squads are going to dominate this league.

Edited by C2SKI
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, shamrock said:

"Islanders" it is! Nice ref to the Highlanders as well.

They still have BCFC trademarked. We'll see what happens, but I think it makes more sense in the capital than it would in Vancouver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

They still have BCFC trademarked. We'll see what happens, but I think it makes more sense in the capital than it would in Vancouver.

God no! Horribly generic name. Although playing out of Langford, they might steer away from Victoria (bad idea). 

17 hours ago, masster said:

All of those 'goofy videos' were shot at meetings that took place prior to the CSA AGM. Meetings took place in the lower mainland prior to the AGM. Meetings are taking place on the island this weekend. I think it is safe to say that there was a change in plans.

If there was, it's for the better. If there's anything we've learned from MLS, it's that teams operating form of near the urban core are the most successful in gaining fans. The downside to that is of course the stadium location, you can say it's easier for fans from other parts of the island but you still need most of your supporters from Victoria / Saanich and to lesser extend Wester Suburbs. There's just more people living there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, shamrock said:

God no! Horribly generic name. Although playing out of Langford, they might steer away from Victoria (bad idea). 

I don't like it either. I actually quite like the idea of marketing to Vancouver Island, but definitely not all of BC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...