Sebastian Breza

Dr.Dre

22 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t think that would be a good idea for Montreal. Sure we’d all be happy as Canadians but that’s very risky.

look Pantemis had a very good tournament but he also made 2 terrible mistakes in 4 matches. Is he a regular starter at MLS level? Not yet imo 

I don’t know if playing below MLS is going to be good for him though, he needs to play and the potential is there. If he was loaned and played inside MLS that would be very good. 

17 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Not sure why a young keeper would go on loan to be a back up. I am not sold on Pantemis being MLS quality at all -- ok shot stopper but poor in possession and set pieces.

It’s been rumoured for awhile though, I’d imagine he will start and Diop is out. 

18 hours ago, El Diego said:

Not sure why a young keeper would go on loan to be a back up. I am not sold on Pantemis being MLS quality at all -- ok shot stopper but poor in possession and set pieces.

Nowdays being a good shot stopper is the norm. Modern keepers need to be good with the ball at their feet too... let Pantemis be an example of that...

21 hours ago, El Diego said:

How many MLS keepers do you know that are great with their feet? Westberg is probably the best in the league. 
His feet will get better with gametime. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

How many MLS keepers do you know that are great with their feet? Westberg is probably the best in the league. 

And with having a coach that has a system to play out from the back. If you are not committed to it, then a keeper will never learn it.  But it is not just on the keeper, it is the entire system of playing out, including how fast and intelligently you execute, and how you decide to play long when it does not work right--which even the best control football clubs do when needed. 

I personally do believe that Pantemis has MLS potential, the rest is how his coach wants to play. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And with having a coach that has a system to play out from the back. If you are not committed to it, then a keeper will never learn it.  But it is not just on the keeper, it is the entire system of playing out, including how fast and intelligently you execute, and how you decide to play long when it does not work right--which even the best control football clubs do when needed. 

I personally do believe that Pantemis has MLS potential, the rest is how his coach wants to play. 

Before the tourney I wasn’t sold on him but one thing is clear a lack of experience hurt him. The talent is there, he could probably handle MLS now but will make more mistakes. 

24 with 12 pro games is a yikes and a big part of that is on CF MTL for not getting him playing time. I can’t fault him for his errors in high pressure situations because it’s a part of the learning curve that he’s just late in. Hopefully they will do better with their current youth group.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly....people are getting at him for his mishaps, but do we know what the game plan/strategy was? Seem's like Mauro was trying to teach them to play out of the back with a weeks worth of training. Seems like it was the way/encouraged when it shouldn't of been.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Exactly....people are getting at him for his mishaps, but do we know what the game plan/strategy was? Seem's like Mauro was trying to teach them to play out of the back with a weeks worth of training. Seems like it was the way/encouraged when it shouldn't of been.

This is the bottom line.  That first goal we conceded is as much on Herdman and Biello as it is on Pantemis (and to a lesser extent Norman who was the intended receiver of that insane pass up the middle).

3 hours ago, Shway said:

Fair question (and point at the end). I'll be honest and say I am not sure if I watch and focus enough on other teams to be able to say where Pantemis ranks in that skill compared to the rest of the league.

6 hours ago, Shway said:

I mean, those mishaps did prove extremely costly, so... It doesn't away from his performance and keeping Canada in games they had no business being in, but its still fair to point out that the first 2 goals Canada conceded this tournament were blunders by him.

Edited by LeoH037

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree with that.  I thought he was pretty good with his feet during the 4 matches I watched during the qualifying. And with his distribution overall. But it was the point of not deciding to hoof it when he had four Mexicans baring down on him and only one Canuck to play the ball to which was the error

54 minutes ago, VinceA said:

this a bad move but okay.

If he had any chance of starting in Italy I would agree, but it's looking more and more like that was never going to happen. As long as he gets a lot of PT in Montreal, this should be good for his development. 

47 minutes ago, johnyb said:

If he had any chance of starting in Italy I would agree, but it's looking more and more like that was never going to happen. As long as he gets a lot of PT in Montreal, this should be good for his development. 

He's not going to though. Not over Diop anyway. I'd say he's third after Pantemis.

I don't get it from Montreal's perspective, either. People are saying that Diop may be on the way out. If that's the case, do they see Breza as a starter? Pantemis beat him out for the u23 job. Maybe they are unsure of either and throwing two darts at the board, hoping one sticks?

Maybe he is just a (basically) free domestic back up?

Only thing I can think of is making sure he trains over the summer with a pro team. Doesn’t make sense to sit both of their young goalies. At this point it’s obvious that the 15yr academy kid and Sirois are their long term goalies. They’ll need to find a way to turn Pantemis and Breza into assets.

25 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I keep seeing people say he was beat out by Pantemis. Wasn’t he (at least rumoured) to be one of the players that had to quarantine and missed all the pre tourney training? Seems unfair to say he was beat out if that’s the case.

You might be right. I also think that Pantemis might have been favoured due to familiarity. I still find this move odd, though.

I am sorry guys, but Breza is a better keeper than Pantemis. I don't think Breza was meant to actually play for Bologna. This is a good move and I think it is what was intended all along. Breza definitely 2nd keeper choice and can push for first. Diop's technique is not my cup of tea, but has Breza beaten on experience. 

• 1 month later...