Lofty

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

Is anyone else waiting on who the captain will be, my guess is between Josip Golubar, Skylar Thomas and Stephen Hoyle. Perhaps they haven't announced It unlike FC Edmonton and Cavalry because they're gonna give it to Edgar who's season in England ends next week and is a free agent after that 

^ Interesting. But I don't see any way Garcia starts ahead of Arguiñarena unless he has been absolutely lights out in training.

I have not been able to find out much about Ohin but even so I think it far more likely that Carreiro starts instead.

I like Muenkat at LW.

That is all predicated on the proposed 4231, which I do not think we will see.

Instead, I'm anticipating 352:

------------ Hoyle ---------- Petrasso* ------------

----------------------- Golubar -----------------------

Arguiñarena ------------------------ Gutierrez

-------- Carreiro ------- Beland-Goyette-----

---- Murrell ----- Thomas -- Mitter/Edgar

----------------------- Farago -----------------------

* Petrasso actually playing a bit behind Hoyle. So you might call it a 3511.

Anyone happen to know when kits will finally be available? When I picked up my tickets they didn't know. Would suck to have a packed house with 0 kits. 

7 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Anyone happen to know when kits will finally be available? When I picked up my tickets they didn't know. Would suck to have a packed house with 0 kits. 

You may want to brace yourself. At least this SNAFU isn't down to the Bumbling Bungling Bombers.

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

You may want to brace yourself. At least this SNAFU isn't down to the Bumbling Bungling Bombers.

You do understand that both the Blue Bombers and Valour are owned by the Winnipeg Football Club, right? You seem to have an unyielding hatred for the Bombers which is really silly considering they're the SAME DAMN BUSINESS.

1 hour ago, T_Bison said:

You do understand that both the Blue Bombers and Valour are owned by the Winnipeg Football Club, right? You seem to have an unyielding hatred for the Bombers which is really silly considering they're the SAME DAMN BUSINESS.

Eh? My criticism is with the way Valour is being run. Most people say that the Bombers own Valour, although technically it is one Board running the whole thing. These Board members are naturally CFL people and are there for the Bombers because Valour have only just started. What is your point? That you don't like my calling these "Bomber" people "the Bombers"? If so, I suggest you just get used to it.

Posted (edited)

West side sections for the opener are now about half full. It now looks as though the group sales (youth soccer?) section on the east side is the biggest hole to fill.

One wonders whether they will consider opening more sections on the east side for walkup sales if the existing sections are sold out or close to it by game day.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/valour-fc-vs-fc-edmonton/event/1100566571121BCE

Edited by jonovision

Best part is I don't know if there's even 100 of the top priced seats left.  And yeah, have to expect any day now the youth team section will be opened for general sales.  Kickoff is in 5 days, that promo has run it's course and doesn't exactly look like it's been a roaring success though to be honest of the few people I know that still have kids in youth soccer they've already got seasons with Dad (and yes, it's always a Dad).   Clubs may have a team night here and there where Pops is on his own though so maybe not a bad idea to continue carrying the program forward but setting aside a block of 500 or so must be overly optimistic. 

Few radio promos and internet adds have finally started.  That's good.  If the forecast holds looks like the weather is going to be arse (wear your scarf).  That's bad.  Oh, and Saturday will be the 3rd home opener of the season but the 1st one without the home support in team colours.  That's stupid. 😠

P.S.  Valour away to Pacific on Wednesday.  Don't ever want to tell the lads to pace themselves but it well be Pacific's 2nd match in 3 days and we have our home opener 3 days later so...take advantage of a less than rest Pacific but maybe pace yourselfs.

20 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Valour away to Pacific on Wednesday.  Don't ever want to tell the lads to pace themselves but it well be Pacific's 2nd match in 3 days and we have our home opener 3 days later so...take advantage of a less than rest Pacific but maybe pace yourselfs.

Do you start your best 11 vs Pacific?

Absolutely, whoever that best 11 are.  Better to come home with points and heavy legs than saving it for Edmonton.  Bit of good press coming from the teams 1st road trip could sell some tickets!

Four matches for Valour in 10 days.  Hell of a way to start the season.  Guess on the plus side if the players can stay healthy the match fitness will come real quick.    

15 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Do you start your best 11 vs Pacific?

Start, yes. But Golubar will likely only play 55 mins and a couple of other key players will be subbed well before the end. Petrasso comes to mind.

Also, best 11 might not be obvious just yet.

Still waiting for the Edgar announcement. 😁

6 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Start, yes. But Golubar will likely only play 55 mins and a couple of other key players will be subbed well before the end. Petrasso comes to mind.

Also, best 11 might not be obvious just yet.

Still waiting for the Edgar announcement. 😁

Is Edgar back on? Why did they leave it so late?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Is Edgar back on? Why did they leave it so late?

Speculation on my part. It just makes so much sense...

(Left it late because he was/is under contract to Hartlepool.)

Edited by Lofty

As a Pacific fan... I would say definitely start the best 11 you have now. It is not the middle of the season, so Pacific may not be as tired as they will be in a few weeks (they are also a really young team mostly). Also a few guys like Issey/Blasco only played a half basically, and will still be fresh. Also McCurdy will likely start giving us one fresh CB at least. There could also be other rotation. 

In addition, I think having played a full real game, Pacific FC will likely have the advantage early in terms of crispness. 

Here is to a great first game between our teams! (It really is weird not hating and in fact wanting all other teams to succeed as well)

A bit of irony that the FREE press article can only be read if one pays for it.

I don’t care if that’s not the free they mean, as that’s the one I’m choosing. 

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

It's me!

Posted (edited)

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/valour-kickoff-several-years-in-the-making-509271302.html

Wade Miller's introduction to the idea came at a meeting of interested movers and shakers during Grey Cup week in Vancouver during the fall of 2014.

Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani and Hamilton Tiger-Cats CEO Scott Mitchell were making a revolutionary pitch — the establishment of a Canadian professional soccer league, a concept that had previously withered and died with the demise of the Canadian Soccer League in 1992...

^^^Fits the old blog and podcast narrative that the first iteration on attempting to have a league was a CFL-oriented division that would hook up in some way with the NASL. What's strange is that the Blue Bombers never seemed to rate a mention as being interested at the time. It was usually the Stampeders that we were told were on board with the Ticats.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

CPL App has the following for projected starting lineup FWIW:

Farago, Thomas, Murrell, Mitter, Galvis, Beland-Goyette, Golubar, Gutierrez, Petrasso, Hoyle, Musse

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

CPL App has the following for projected starting lineup FWIW:

Farago, Thomas, Murrell, Mitter, Galvis, Beland-Goyette, Golubar, Gutierrez, Petrasso, Hoyle, Musse

Based on what VERY little I know:

1. I have Carreiro ahead of Galvis in the pecking order.

2. I had thought Mitter too if 352 but Rob Gale hinted in his latest interview that Mitter may not yet be ready. (There are other options.)

3. I would think that the only way Arguiñarena doesn't start is if he has a knock.

4. Otherwise, it looks good to me.