Jump to content
Lofty

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Lofty said:

@MrsC seems to have some connections. I'm hoping she will at least be able to procure a jersey for each of us going to Victoria for the Valour FC inauguration! Otherwise, Skylar Thomas is almost my size. So if you see him out there on the pitch in unofficial gear and an official #3 Thomas shirt in the stands, you will know what happened!

I don't know about connections, but I am going to be disappointed If I don't have a jersey to wear in Victoria.  It's not looking good for me though because I leave for Hamilton on Thursday.  I'm only back in Winnipeg for half a day on the Monday, and then I'm off to BC.  Unless they come in before Thursday, or I can convince the team to bring mine to Victoria, I'm probably going to be out of luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 2:08 PM, Lofty said:

Opening game 10,000 sell out starting to look very possible. Other than the Bomber Gouge sections (and the group sales section, where no sales info is available) there look to be only about a couple of hundred seats left. Overall, probably north of 9,000 now (assuming some group sales!).

I've counted up about 6500 seats in the sections that they have opened up, so they'll have to open up a bunch more sections before we can get close to that 10,000 capacity that was mentioned in the fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Hmm. Sounds about right.   I have it in my head the lower bowl capacity is 20,000.  Seating is pretty consistant the whole way around so if you went roughly by linears you could carve that number in three, east grandstand, west grandstand, and the combined end seating.   Just shy of 7K per. 

There's an interesting question.  If needs be do they creep further out into the end seating or live with the capacity as it's currently drawn up?  Can't imagine they'd add the whole lower bowl unless demand really required it.  During the WWC we caught the Japan match and I think there were around 13-14K for that one.  Was all right but roomy in more than a few spots. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go onto the ticketmaster system they show the upper bowl sections 201-215 unlike the rest of the stadium, but they are grayed out. Suspect if ticket sales in the lower bowl in sections 101-115 & 144 start consistently selling out they plan to open those sections up as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

There's an interesting question.  If needs be do they creep further out into the end seating or live with the capacity as it's currently drawn up?  Can't imagine they'd add the whole lower bowl unless demand really required it.  During the WWC we caught the Japan match and I think there were around 13-14K for that one.  Was all right but roomy in more than a few spots. 

 

Rob Gale posted in the RRR Facebook group that they will open up more sections if they sell out what is there now.  It's a good question about which sections that would be though.  I assumed it would be the end zones, but who knows.  Maybe they would do the upper deck.  I believe they are putting sponsor logos on the tarped sections on the other side of the pitch, so I'm sure that area will not be touched. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BCM said:

The track record doesn't "inspire" much hope. For the last five years, Mitter has dipped in and out of the English 7th division along with a string of semi-professional gigs in various countries, mainly the Philippines. His stint in the only league that could be called professional, Singapore, was halted mid-season when the team cut him. 

I find it hard to believe the CPL couldn't attract character players with at least a fourth or even fifth division pedigree. Digging up semi-pro journeyman can't be the way to success, or the best use of foreign spots.

The AVERAGE wage bill in the English fourth tier (in Jan 2018) is approximately triple what has been mooted as the CPL MAXIMUM.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/yeovil-town-v-manchester-united-1113063

That is why CPL cannot attract all its players from that level. Mitter fills an important gap in the Valour squad and replaces a player who let us down at the last minute -- always a tricky thing to do.

Personally, I am done with the whinging about the level of play. That will inevitably be determined by the wage cap. I really don't care whether it is more Bournemouth, Bury, or Bradford Park Avenue -- I will support it because I enjoy going to watch the footy at any level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MrsC said:

I've counted up about 6500 seats in the sections that they have opened up, so they'll have to open up a bunch more sections before we can get close to that 10,000 capacity that was mentioned in the fall.

Your eyes will go googly counting all those dots! But yeah, I think you are right in saying the sections shown do not add up to 10,000 as I had been assuming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong - I don't expect him to 'work out'. However, they have contracts available and he's a somewhat competent body. 

 

And it's all good - if that's the worst dust up we get into today online, we're gold!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lofty said:

The AVERAGE wage bill in the English fourth tier (in Jan 2018) is approximately triple what has been mooted as the CPL MAXIMUM.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/yeovil-town-v-manchester-united-1113063

That is why CPL cannot attract all its players from that level. Mitter fills an important gap in the Valour squad and replaces a player who let us down at the last minute -- always a tricky thing to do.

Personally, I am done with the whinging about the level of play. That will inevitably be determined by the wage cap. I really don't care whether it is more Bournemouth, Bury, or Bradford Park Avenue -- I will support it because I enjoy going to watch the footy at any level.

If you want to play the numbers game, the average wage in the Filipino league is less than CDN10,000 A YEAR. Something in the middle would suit. But I also find it hard to believe that a veteran of the 4th/5th tier wouldn't fancy a move to Canada, for personal reasons or to reboot the career. But again, I am happy to eat crow if he turns out to be a useful player.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex D said:

I thought it was 7,000 though i can't remember where that number came from. Nothing to scoff at still

The actual number I counted was 6600, so it's certainly possible I miscounted by 400.  The number I have been told for the capacity is 8000, so I'm assuming some of that is accounted for in the suites and lodge seating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BCM said:

If you want to play the numbers game, the average wage in the Filipino league is less than CDN10,000 A YEAR. Something in the middle would suit. But I also find it hard to believe that a veteran of the 4th/5th tier wouldn't fancy a move to Canada, for personal reasons or to reboot the career. But again, I am happy to eat crow if he turns out to be a useful player.

Mitter could have been making substantially above or below the average wherever he played.

I wasn't playing any "numbers game". I was merely pointing out that when your wage cap is south of $1m you will not be attracting many players at English tier 4 or even tier 5 because they will make more playing over there. So whinging about getting players who appear below that level is deluded and pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Just checking the Valour training schedule and there is nothing stating it is closed to the public.

It was closed before because they said it was a Health & Safety issue due to snow.  Looks like that has now been rectified.

See you at the field at 2:30 !

 

They have now added the following line:  Sessions will be closed to the general public.

 

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Don't get me wrong - I don't expect him to 'work out'. However, they have contracts available and he's a somewhat competent body.

I'd be interested to hear what he would have to do for you to think he 'worked out'. He is clearly coming in behind Thomas and Murrell at CB and I fully expect to see David Edgar in Winnipeg on 28th Apr. So Mitter is here to provide defensive depth and for me, the only way he doesn't work out is if he can't play with all the other tier 5-7 players that CPL is sensibly starting with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lofty said:

... and I fully expect to see David Edgar in Winnipeg on 28th Apr...

Hartlepool have a game on Saturday, so that seems unlikely. Assuming he is out of contract after that there is still time to get him in during the current transfer window, however, if the gig in England was about gearing up his game again for the Gold Cup before a return to Canada to play regularly in CanPL. I suspect he has been looking for one last reasonably large contract in the lower divisions in England after showing he can still contribute during his recent run of games. Time will tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hartlepool have a game on Saturday, so that seems unlikely. Assuming he is out of contract after that there is still time to get him in during the current transfer window, however, if the gig in England was about gearing up his game again for the Gold Cup before a return to Canada to play regularly in CanPL. I suspect he has been looking for one last reasonably large contract in the lower divisions in England after showing he can still contribute during his recent run of games. Time will tell

Hartlepool play their final match of the season on the 27th. If he gets on a plane the next day he will be here on the 28th.

He only played a handful of games for Hartlepool so he is now ready to play a full season. And already match fit. And Valour only have 3 centre backs. And two vacant squad places. And there have been rumours. Surely if Rob has landed him, he will want him here asap. And Edgar will want to be here asap.

Might be a bit much to expect him to play on 1st May but I wouldn't rule it out and I could certainly see him starting on 4th May for Valour's home opener.

So far as Gold Cup goes, I think that is just pie in the sky considering how little he has played recently. Surely job one right now is getting some matches under his belt. And he won't do that in England over the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, KW519 said:

The Hartlepool owner claimed Edgar was signed for the future. Then there's this article which says his future is uncertain, but is loving life being back in north England https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/hartlepool-united/david-edgar-talks-home-comforts-family-connections-and-loving-life-at-hartlepool-united-1-9717647

Maybe a loan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They opened up up 4 sections on the other side of the pitch, which  appears  to take the capacity to 8200.  I see those seats selling quickly because they are prime seats at the center of the pitch, for only $35.  And I believe they are on the same side as the player benches.  Looks like we will have a nice crowd for May 4th :) 

Edited by MrsC
mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Would you look at that.  At $35 per?  Wonder if the concessions will be open on that side?  Has to be.  Football without beer is like a Jeep Liberty without a "check engine" light on.  Unnatural.

Gawd I hope those tickets sell.  If for no other reason than WEST SIDE SUCKS!  WEST SIDE SUCKS! WEST SIDE SUCKS!

It's a Winnipeg thing. 

Edited by Cheeta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 2:32 PM, MrsC said:

Rob Gale posted in the RRR Facebook group that they will open up more sections if they sell out what is there now.  It's a good question about which sections that would be though.  I assumed it would be the end zones, but who knows.  Maybe they would do the upper deck.  I believe they are putting sponsor logos on the tarped sections on the other side of the pitch, so I'm sure that area will not be touched. 

I was really hopping for this. Looking across at all those empty seats would kill the atmosphere. I like what the Whitecaps do with the upper deck seats in BC place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KW519 said:

The Hartlepool owner claimed Edgar was signed for the future. Then there's this article which says his future is uncertain, but is loving life being back in north England https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/hartlepool-united/david-edgar-talks-home-comforts-family-connections-and-loving-life-at-hartlepool-united-1-9717647

Pretty sure I read it was a short term contract until the end of the season, which would make him a free agent right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Would you look at that.  At $35 per?  Wonder if the concessions will be open on that side?  Has to be.  Football without beer is like a Jeep Liberty without a "check engine" light on.  Unnatural.

Gawd I hope those tickets sell.  If for no other reason than WEST SIDE SUCKS!  WEST SIDE SUCKS! WEST SIDE SUCKS!

It's a Winnipeg thing. 

It's a Bomber thing. **** the Bombers. Time for some VALOUR traditions to be born.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...