Lofty

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

Sure you want your imports to be good, but first they have to want to come, then you need to be able to pay them.  If Valour have shot their wad on paying the first import (striker hoyle) and CDN players so be it.  And I dont think every team is going to have the max imports starting anyway.  Pacific only has 1 signed, Y-9 has 2 etc. You'll see teams starting 8-9 CDN, the narrative of 5 great imports high above the CDN in quality starting doesnt look to apply. We'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out.  Personally I wouldnt give a rats ass if the imports dont play at all and the CDN are better.  

Defenders seem to be the weakest aspect not just of CMNT but our whole player pool (which maybe explains why Valour FC have signed 15 midfielders, much to the dismay of @dsqpr ).

Seems like clubs are having a tough time finding Canadian defenders with solid resumes, which explains a signing like this one.  Valour have a pretty solid roster, and almost every CPL analyst has them ranked near the top.  Perhaps they just wanted a solid experienced defender to round out the roster.

Posted (edited)

Adam Mitter looks like a very solid signing to me: he fills a massive hole in the squad in that he plays CB and DM and those are the two areas where Valour desperately needed some depth. Appears to be a like-for-like replacement for Navia. Not easy to find a good replacement when someone you had signed suddenly lets you down so kudos to Rob for this one. We will have to wait to see how good Mitter is but transfermarkt gives him a non-zero value, unlike the majority of CPL players.

As for "uninspiring", we have to understand where we are financially. In these early years, journeyman imports are exactly what I would expect. You seed that international experience into your squad and the Canadian youngsters will all be better for it: which is why I think it is important to try to fill every one of those import places. There are 13-16 places on each squad for Canadian players and that is more than enough to accommodate all those who are good enough.

Further to "uninspiring", a little anecdote: In 2010 QPR appointed Neil Warnock after struggling the previous season. Most fans expected a relegation battle. Warnock brought in 4 journeyman players, who were almost universally called "uninspiring": Paddy Kenny, a vertically challenged keeper, Clint Hill, a journeyman defender, Shaun Derry, a journeyman midfielder, and Jamie Mackie, a young-ish striker with a less-than-inspiring scoring record. All 4 players had one other thing in common: "character". QPR won the (football) league.

Edited by dsqpr
Uninspiring

13 hours ago, dsqpr said:

...Further to "uninspiring", a little anecdote: In 2010 QPR appointed Neil Warnock after struggling the previous season. Most fans expected a relegation battle. Warnock brought in 4 journeyman players, who were almost universally called "uninspiring":  ...

Colin is a legend and not just because of his unusually intelligent for English football nickname. It will take a decade or two of doing that sort of thing before it's safe to assume Rob Gale is capable of those sorts of signings as well.

Posted (edited)

I've been checking in on the seat map on Ticketmaster every few days for the home opener on May 4th, and it's starting to look like a good crowd. Lots of progress in the last week. The unfortunate bit is that the club seems to have miscalculated the maximum ticket price fans are willing to pay as the two centre sections are still looking pretty thin.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I've been checking in on the seat map on Ticketmaster every few days for the home opener on May 4th, and it's starting to look like a good crowd. Lots of progress in the last week. The unfortunate bit is that the club seems to have miscalculated the maximum ticket price fans are willing to pay as the two centre sections are still looking pretty thin.

I liked what they did with season ticket prices for those two centre sections: it was a nice little jump from $28 to $39 (+GST) to get the "best" seats. So $29.40 to $40.95 all in). Surely there are a bunch of fans who want the best seats and are willing and able to pay a BIT more for them.

But for single game seats, things have changed: now the price change is from $30.32 to $53.32 (+ fees of $4.25)! I was shocked when I saw that. Applying the same percentage increase as for season tickets (just over 39%!) the price should be $42.23 (+ fees of $4.25), which again I think would make sense. 

It smacks of the "Bomber gouge" to me. Never mind what is reasonable, let's just squeeze the fans for every penny we can get. Seems like they miscalculated here. And the price we all will pay will be not having a sell out for the inaugural match, which is so short sighted it is absolutely infuriating.

Edited by dsqpr

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Colin is a legend and not just because of his unusually intelligent for English football nickname. It will take a decade or two of doing that sort of thing before it's safe to assume Rob Gale is capable of those sorts of signings as well.

My point was that often it is the "uninspiring" unsung heroes who are the backbone of a successful team, so that bringing in such players is often a crucial move that goes unappreciated at the time. It is possible that Valour's unappreciated signings will not turn out to be such players. It is also possible that they will. Which is why the suggestion that they are "underwhelming" may be very misleading.

Glad you understand Warnock's nickname although I fail to see what it has to do with this discussion. Other than to show us all how clever you are of course. (For those not in the know, "Colin Wanker" is an anagram of "Neil Warnock".)

Edited by dsqpr

10 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I liked what they did with season ticket prices for those two centre sections: it was a nice little jump from $28 to $39 (+GST) to get the "best" seats. So $29.40 to $40.95 all in). Surely there are a bunch of fans who want the best seats and are willing and able to pay a BIT more for them.

But for single game seats, things have changed: now the price change is from $30.32 to $53.32 (+ fees of $4.25)! I was shocked when I saw that. Applying the same percentage increase as for season tickets (just over 39%!) the price should be $42.23 (+ fees of $4.25), which again I think would make sense. 

It smacks of the "Bomber gouge" to me. Never mind what is reasonable, let's just squeeze the fans for every penny we can get. Seems like they miscalculated here. And the price we all will pay will be not having a sell out for the inaugural match, which is so short sighted it is absolutely infuriating.

I wouldn't be surprised if those seats sell out yet, especially if, as seems likely, the Jets are no longer involved in the playoffs by then. Still a miscalculation and one that will affect attendance at matches beyond the opener.

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I wouldn't be surprised if those seats sell out yet, especially if, as seems likely, the Jets are no longer involved in the playoffs by then. Still a miscalculation and one that will affect attendance at matches beyond the opener.

Yeah, I don't want to put a hex on the Jets but they are doing us a massive favour right now.

Opening game 10,000 sell out starting to look very possible. Other than the Bomber Gouge sections (and the group sales section, where no sales info is available) there look to be only about a couple of hundred seats left. Overall, probably north of 9,000 now (assuming some group sales!).

Anybody know if Valour will enter a U-20 team in the MMSL this year? I saw that Cavalry and FCE are putting teams in the AMSL, but doesn't seem like MMSL has any info on that yet, at least not on their website.

Tickets been steadily moving.  Bit better than 2 weeks to go so yeah, looking good.  For match #1 anyway.

Assume that at some point the youth team section will be opened for general sales, maybe end of next week? As mentioned the pickings are getting pretty thin.

As importantly, anyone here when the shirts are becoming available?  Haven't seen an email yet 

11 hours ago, Lofty said:

Opening game 10,000 sell out starting to look very possible. Other than the Bomber Gouge sections (and the group sales section, where no sales info is available) there look to be only about a couple of hundred seats left. Overall, probably north of 9,000 now (assuming some group sales!).

How does the ticketmaster seating chart/map look on the website? When you click on single game tickets, that can give you a pretty good estimate considering they only opening the west lower bowl up 

8 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

How does the ticketmaster seating chart/map look on the website? When you click on single game tickets, that can give you a pretty good estimate considering they only opening the west lower bowl up 

Basically only the two central sections and the alcohol free corner section have significant unsold seats. The section reserved for youth club group sales is the other great mystery. Even the middle sections have started to sell in the last few days. I'd expect a full sellout for the first match based on this.

Capture.PNG

On 4/17/2019 at 12:42 PM, Obinna said:

Anybody know if Valour will enter a U-20 team in the MMSL this year? I saw that Cavalry and FCE are putting teams in the AMSL, but doesn't seem like MMSL has any info on that yet, at least not on their website.

I doubt it. Edmonton already had their youth program and Cavalry had foothills. Valour would have to start a U20 team from scratch. They have enough to worry about in season 1.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:57 PM, masster said:

I doubt it. Edmonton already had their youth program and Cavalry had foothills. Valour would have to start a U20 team from scratch. They have enough to worry about in season 1.

Thanks. A few other posters have said something similar, so I'll assume no plans are in the works. As I mentioned elsewhere though, I don't think foothills are a factor for Cavalry u-20 either way. We'll see how much spill over there is though, in due time.

The Jets have bottled it. Anyone holding back on Valour tickets in case the match conflicted with the Jets need hold back no longer. Will be interesting to see what happens to ticket sales on Tuesday. Full sell out now looking quite likely for the home opener.

^ Toyed with us.  Think everyone was saying this team doesn't have it after that March, then teased a little but showed the truth of it tonight.  So there it is. 

It's looking real good.  Adverts are getting out.  Have it on good authority most of the Loge seating has been commited to and after reading the Pacific topic would just like to point out that IGF is long ago build,  subsequently repaired, and good to go for footie.  Well feel a little less caverous with 10,000 asses warming things up!

Got an email today with bad news however, no ETA on the kits.  Be lucky to see them before launch from the feel of things.  Don't know if this is a manufacturing problem or a logistics problem (oversold?), demand exceeding excepted capacity sort of thing.  Here's hoping! 

Have a good quarter set up in the Bomber Store with all the usual bits and bobs otherwise, nicely done there.   

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

^ Toyed with us.  Think everyone was saying this team doesn't have it after that March, then teased a little but showed the truth of it tonight.  So there it is. 

It's looking real good.  Adverts are getting out.  Have it on good authority most of the Loge seating has been commited to and after reading the Pacific topic would just like to point out that IGF is long ago build,  subsequently repaired, and good to go for footie.  Well feel a little less caverous with 10,000 asses warming things up!

Got an email today with bad news however, no ETA on the kits.  Be lucky to see them before launch from the feel of things.  Don't know if this is a manufacturing problem or a logistics problem (oversold?), demand exceeding excepted capacity sort of thing.  Here's hoping! 

Have a good quarter set up in the Bomber Store with all the usual bits and bobs otherwise, nicely done there.   

@MrsC seems to have some connections. I'm hoping she will at least be able to procure a jersey for each of us going to Victoria for the Valour FC inauguration! Otherwise, Skylar Thomas is almost my size. So if you see him out there on the pitch in unofficial gear and an official #3 Thomas shirt in the stands, you will know what happened!

As for the Jets, well, that was an opportunity missed: this could have been their year. My casual observation is that goaltending let them down. Tyson Farago will not let that happen to Valour! 

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2019 at 12:56 AM, dsqpr said:

My point was that often it is the "uninspiring" unsung heroes who are the backbone of a successful team, so that bringing in such players is often a crucial move that goes unappreciated at the time. It is possible that Valour's unappreciated signings will not turn out to be such players. It is also possible that they will. Which is why the suggestion that they are "underwhelming" may be very misleading.

Glad you understand Warnock's nickname although I fail to see what it has to do with this discussion. Other than to show us all how clever you are of course. (For those not in the know, "Colin Wanker" is an anagram of "Neil Warnock".)

The track record doesn't "inspire" much hope. For the last five years, Mitter has dipped in and out of the English 7th division along with a string of semi-professional gigs in various countries, mainly the Philippines. His stint in the only league that could be called professional, Singapore, was halted mid-season when the team cut him. 

I find it hard to believe the CPL couldn't attract character players with at least a fourth or even fifth division pedigree. Digging up semi-pro journeyman can't be the way to success, or the best use of foreign spots.

Edited by BCM

6 hours ago, BCM said:

The track record doesn't "inspire" much hope. For the last five years, Mitter has dipped in and out of the English 7th division along with a string of semi-professional gigs in various countries, mainly the Philippines. His stint in the only league that could be called professional, Singapore, was halted mid-season when the team cut him. 

I find it hard to believe the CPL couldn't attract character players with at least a fourth or even fifth division pedigree. Digging up semi-pro journeyman can't be the way to success, or the best use of foreign spots.

Maybe not, but I suspect he's just someone who they took a flyer on. Not worth getting up in arms over

1 hour ago, T_Bison said:

Maybe not, but I suspect he's just someone who they took a flyer on. Not worth getting up in arms over

Yeah, sorry mate. Just felt the need to reply to him being called "a very solid signing", etc. He's not. Your description is much better, and if he works out then great. But we (as a league) should be aiming much higher than semi-pro journeyman.