Lofty

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

20 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Home shirt is usually the club's "main" colour, which for Valour is the wine red. That said, I do hope we play a few home games in the black (and the opposition wear their home shirts) and conversely away.

I'm usually XL or maybe XXL depending on the brand. I tried on a XXL hoodie and was worried I wasn't going to be able to get it off again. Ended up with a 4XL. And I may not be exactly trim but I ain't no bat fastard (yet!) either.

Based on the Macron sizing chart, I ordered 3XL shirts. We shall see.

I was told to order 2 sizes up from the staff and players. 

Posted (edited)

I don't know what my normal size would be in men's sizes so I'm kind of shooting in the dark.  Apparently the training tops that they have at the Bombers store are one size smaller * bigger than the kits.  I liked the fit of the medium for me, so I guess that means a large in the kit should be my size.

Edited by MrsC
*oops

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

I don't know what my normal size would be in men's sizes so I'm kind of shooting in the dark.  Apparently the training tops that they have at the Bombers store are one size smaller that the kits.  I liked the fit of the medium for me, so I guess that means a large in the kit should be my size.

Wait a second. If the training tops are one size smaller, wouldn't that mean a training top medium would be the same as a match top small? So that the match top medium is one size bigger than the training top medium? Not that it matters if you get to try it on. I hope they have a 4XL available for me, just in case!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Wait a second. If the training tops are one size smaller, wouldn't that mean a training top medium would be the same as a match top small? So that the match top medium is one size bigger than the training top medium? Not that it matters if you get to try it on. I hope they have a 4XL available for me, just in case!

Yes, I wrote that incorrectly.  The training top is one size bigger.  ?

Edited by MrsC
my grammar sucks after a few glasses of wine

52 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

Good signing for both parties. I'll be rooting for him. 

I’ll be rooting for Béland-Goyette too. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him start in central midfield along with Golubar.

Excellent. Another midfielder. We needed a few more of those for the 1-8-1 formation we appear to be working towards.

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

Setting aside for a moment my qualms about the lack of defensive midfielders and the lack of depth in defence:

From what I have seen (and I watched a few Valour practices at U of M) and read, I consider Rob Gale to be a very progressive and technical coach. It takes time to get these types of ideas across to the players and to get them implementing the desired strategy and tactics. And after many years of following QPR, I have concluded that even in average circumstances, the correlation between pre-season results and competitive results is....zero.

So, while I am concerned about how competitive Valour will be, this result does not feed that concern at all.

Why worry about it?  Every team is in the same boat, and we'll just have to see. For me winning is not the most important thing to start with.  If its a decent level of soccer, and we are competitive with good crowds, that will be enough.  Oh and some sort of TV deal.  

Absolutely no clue where any side is going to be this year.  Until, that is, we know where any side is going to be this year.  

It's useless to look at what you supposedly have on paper, useless.  How it all knits together.  There's the magic. 

It's hard to get a gauge of that Dominican team 'Inter RD' that everyone seems to be playing. But given that the Dominican Republic is ranked 154th in FIFA rankings and it looks like this team finished 11th of 12th in the Dominican top tier in 2018 and are not even playing this year...one would kinda hope CPL teams would be comfortably winning...

I’ve seen it being called a Dominican all star team by some CPL people. I think Larson called it that. Not sure if it is just the Inter RD team or if they brought more players in. I am pretty sure they played York and Cavalry in the same day, so they definitely need more than just one set of players... not to mention they play every CPL team this week.

Just now, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I’ve seen it being called a Dominican all star team by some CPL people. I think Larson called it that. Not sure if it is just the Inter RD team or if they brought more players in. I am pretty sure they played York and Cavalry in the same day, so they definitely need more than just one set of players... not to mention they play every CPL team this week.

True that they would have to be rotating players. But by the looks of it the top Dominican league is going on right now...so would those teams send their best to play exhibitions?

So it's really hard to say what level that team is at.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:33 PM, Bison44 said:

Why worry about it?  Every team is in the same boat, and we'll just have to see. For me winning is not the most important thing to start with.  If its a decent level of soccer, and we are competitive with good crowds, that will be enough.  Oh and some sort of TV deal.  

You must be new to this whole football supporter thing!

14 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

True that they would have to be rotating players. But by the looks of it the top Dominican league is going on right now...so would those teams send their best to play exhibitions?

So it's really hard to say what level that team is at.

Exactly. Or indeed what level it will be at a month from now, which could be very different. Keep in mind that Valour have only signed 19 players, including only 4 internationals, so surely there are at least a couple more signings to come. Particularly in midfield, where we only have 15 players so far.

Posted (edited)

The level he played at in Sweden appears to have been glorified pub team stuff:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-sign-defender-adam-mitter

... In 2011, the defender signed a professional contract with Hibernian FC (Scottish Premier League), completing one season before joining Ange IF (Third Division Sweden) where he was named captain ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Mitter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ånge_IF

in a village of 3000 people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ånge

and the Phillipines where he was most recently isn't exactly renowned for soccer. To be charitable maybe he's a good fit for the believed to be favoured 3-5-2 in some way, but on paper he definitely doesn't look like someone that should be displacing a Canadian from the roster.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Doubt they would be signing this player as a centre back, if that was likely to happen, because they are fast running out of roster spots if 20 is the limit in the absence of U-Sports signings (time will tell on that). The point about this guy is that when you have a quota of seven imports and only five can start any game you would normally want an import player to be significantly better than what is readily available domestically. We'll soon find out if Adam Mitter fits the bill on that.