Lofty

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

18 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I believe Hoyle #17 was Valour's second announced signing (Skylar Thomas was first).

I was surprised to hear that Hoyle has been playing year round for the last three years. The New Zealand season is around six months long just like CPL, so I wonder who he played for during the other six months. And whether he will be fatigued and prone to injury now. Regardless, it seems pretty obvious that his playing time will need to be somewhat limited.

The other interesting thing is that the CPL and NZ seasons are almost perfectly opposite, so that a player could theoretically play in both.

Maybe that's his plan. Great interview, Love him so far.

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 5:23 PM, Wingback6 said:

Been meaning to post this for a few days... a little insight for those of you who aren't from the Peg. And... well... a salve..of sorts. for those who are. (And apologies, I try to keep the word count down normally)

Winnipeg Football Club has been around a long time. It is a publicly owned entity with a board of directors, and a president. None of these are association football people. To the people in charge of the club, yes, this is largely a side show. For the most part. According to one source I have, Wade Millar is on board. Unfortunately, the board is not.

While some of Valour's actions might seem... greedy -  for a lack of a better term - compared to those of the other clubs, we have to understand that trying to get a gridiron football club, to do soccer, in a soccer way, is a bit like trying to turn the Titanic. It is going to take time, and patience. Personally, I don't think they are doing half bad, all things considered.

That being said, while we may be a bit pooched, in some respects, in the ownership side of things (aside from a sweet field), we are more than blessed on the footie side of things. Galey is a right proper coach, with long experience in the game at a high level -  if we take into account his time as a youth at Fulham. What's more, he has lived in the Peg a long time, and I don't think he harbours many illusions about the situation he, and his team are in. Though I will cease further conjecture about what the gaffer may or may not think.

At the end of the day, we have a unique situation compared to the other teams in the league. We don't just have to win over the fans, we have to win over the owners. So far, from what I have seen, we will be able to do just that, though not until balls start getting kicked, and goals start getting scored.  I do worry that the attendance numbers will not be there at first. Perhaps that is the perpetually pessimistic Pegger in me.

In closing. To the disillusioned few, may I offer the following words of comfort, as ubiquitous with summer in these parts as mosquitoes and mayflies... "its the Bombers... what the **** did you expect?"

Agree with this post. I attended a Party that Wade was at (never met him before, we share a mutual friend). He seemed really enthusiastic about The team and the league. He was knowledgeable about the league and was proud of the fact that "we purchased L10". I share some of your concerns about attendance. A big crowd on opening day would be a huge step in winning people over. Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd!

Edited by johnyb

Posted (edited)

See you all at TYC this evening..................come introduce yourself..............if your lucky, I might buy you a drink  !

Valour FC Jersey Launch and Season Ticket Pick-up

Please join us for the Valour FC Jersey launch and for your first opportunity to pick up your season tickets. 5:45 PM- Doors Open 6:30 PM- Fashion show live streamed from Toronto Enjoy appetizers and a cash bar. Valour FC players will be in attendance following the Fashion Show with an opportunity for autographs.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 from 5:45 PM to 8:30 PM CDT

TYC Event Centre
Canad Inns Destination Centre Polo Park
1405 St. Matthews Ave.
Winnipeg, MB

Thank you again for registering for our event. This email is confirmation of your successful registration. If any of the information displayed below is incorrect, please contact us as soon as possible.

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

I agree. I felt the reveal steam was a dud for a whole lot of reasons but the hi-res photos make it look a lot better. I think Valour's kits were the best (although Pacific's are a good second). One thing I hate is on Valours home jerseys is the collar. I avoid those things as much as humanly possible!

Brilliant night tonight at TYC, first class !

I was there 5 minutes after the door opened and it was PACKED.  

Ownership did a bang-up job on this one, full credit.  Food, beer, players, mascot, merch, ..........even the wife was happy.

Without a doubt, Valour have the best jerseys, home and away !

36 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Brilliant night tonight at TYC, first class !

I was there 5 minutes after the door opened and it was PACKED.  

Ownership did a bang-up job on this one, full credit.  Food, beer, players, mascot, merch, ..........even the wife was happy.

Without a doubt, Valour have the best jerseys, home and away !

Have to agree-they look very sharp.  The away top could easily be ripped off by OSEG and made into the Ottawa Fury home top.  Ha Ha!  

55 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Have to agree-they look very sharp.  The away top could easily be ripped off by OSEG and made into the Ottawa Fury home top.  Ha Ha!  

You may see those 'sharp' jerseys up close in V-Cup.

3 hours ago, masster said:

Away...fantastic.

Agreed.  Everyone agrees.  How are these not the home kits?

Don't get me wrong.  Love the home bloods as well, very sharp but the away blacks are just outstanding.

Running joke seems to be "how much weight will I have to loose to wear that?"

I assume the jerseys were available for sale at the event. Did they say where else they will be going on sale locally? I notice they haven't yet gone up on the Valour FC online store, and so far only the home jersey is available at shop.canpl.ca.

Nope.  Some outerwear, all very sharp and selling well but no kits.  Clerk told us we'll be getting an email letting us know when we can get our shirts (next week maybe) and then they'll be made available to the public afterwards.  Assuming we're going to have to go to the Bomber Store?  Don't know.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Agreed.  Everyone agrees.  How are these not the home kits?

Don't get me wrong.  Love the home bloods as well, very sharp but the away blacks are just outstanding.

Running joke seems to be "how much weight will I have to loose to wear that?"

Home shirt is usually the club's "main" colour, which for Valour is the wine red. That said, I do hope we play a few home games in the black (and the opposition wear their home shirts) and conversely away.

I'm usually XL or maybe XXL depending on the brand. I tried on a XXL hoodie and was worried I wasn't going to be able to get it off again. Ended up with a 4XL. And I may not be exactly trim but I ain't no bat fastard (yet!) either.

Based on the Macron sizing chart, I ordered 3XL shirts. We shall see.

Edited by dsqpr

Posted (edited)

Duplicate post.

Edited by dsqpr

31 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Home shirt is usually the club's "main" colour, which for Valour is the wine red. That said, I do hope we play a few home games in the black (and the opposition wear their home shirts) and conversely away.

I'm usually XL or maybe XXL depending on the brand. I tried on a XXL hoodie and was worried I wasn't going to be able to get it off again. Ended up with a 4XL. And I may not be exactly trim but I ain't no bat fastard (yet!) either.

Based on the Macron sizing chart, I ordered 3XL shirts. We shall see.

Yikes.  I would not expect you to need to go anywhere near 3XL and 4XL.  Now I'm worried about what size I'll need.  I had to get a Men's if I want authentic, and if I need a kit big enough to fit my hips, I fear it's going to come past my knees ?

2 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Yikes.  I would not expect you to need to go anywhere near 3XL and 4XL.  Now I'm worried about what size I'll need.  I had to get a Men's if I want authentic, and if I need a kit big enough to fit my hips, I fear it's going to come past my knees ?

Never had to before. My flabber was definitely gasted.