Jump to content
Lofty

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, LatinInuk said:

Any idea what's happened to Valour FC North? I was loving their idea of having a fanbase in Thompson, but they seem to have disappeared off social media.

The guy who was running that got disillusioned with the way Valour was running things and decided he was no longer interested in supporting.  He cancelled the account and is supporting Pacific FC now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Posted (edited)

Each CPL squad is apparently required to include at least three U21 players, who must play at least 1,000 minutes between them during the season.

Valour's U21 players (birth year) are:

> Tyler Attardo (2001)

> Raphael Garcia (1999)

> Glenn Muenkat (1999)

Assuming birth year is used to determine age group, all three players will also be U21 next season.

 

Edited by dsqpr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On 3/20/2019 at 9:34 PM, MrsC said:

Is anyone planning to go to the first game in Victoria?  Work takes me to Vancouver on May 1st, so I'll be going to that game.  The away section is 101.  I'll be buying my ticket when they go on sale at the beginning of April, and I can make a group purchase if anyone else is planning to go.

Looks like I'm going. Please get me one ticket.

I'm staying at the Accent Inn Victoria, 3233 Maple St, Victoria, V8X 4Y9. Just for the one night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Looks like I'm going. Please get me one ticket.

I'm staying at the Accent Inn Victoria, 3233 Maple St, Victoria, V8X 4Y9. Just for the one night.

I will definitely pick up a ticket for you.  I'm just there for the 1 night as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 7:34 PM, top cheese said:

I think danto played with the WSA group. 

Id imagine that they will act as a reserve team to get some bench players some more playing time.

Moses Danto did not play with the WSA Group on Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding marketing, finally heard a radio advertisement for Valour on 1290 TSN radio the other day. The ad didn't mention the home opening date or anything, it was basically just a general call to buy season tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
42 minutes ago, fengshui said:

Regarding marketing, finally heard a radio advertisement for Valour on 1290 TSN radio the other day. The ad didn't mention the home opening date or anything, it was basically just a general call to buy season tickets.

 

kendrick-lamar-reaction-meme-5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fengshui said:

Regarding marketing, finally heard a radio advertisement for Valour on 1290 TSN radio the other day. The ad didn't mention the home opening date or anything, it was basically just a general call to buy season tickets.

My family heard it yesterday on 94.3 FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like they are ramping up the ads, as there was a new ad for mini-packs this morning on 1290 TSN radio. And it did mention the home opener date in a "coming soon, don't miss out" style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been meaning to post this for a few days... a little insight for those of you who aren't from the Peg. And... well... a salve..of sorts. for those who are. (And apologies, I try to keep the word count down normally)

Winnipeg Football Club has been around a long time. It is a publicly owned entity with a board of directors, and a president. None of these are association football people. To the people in charge of the club, yes, this is largely a side show. For the most part. According to one source I have, Wade Millar is on board. Unfortunately, the board is not.

While some of Valour's actions might seem... greedy -  for a lack of a better term - compared to those of the other clubs, we have to understand that trying to get a gridiron football club, to do soccer, in a soccer way, is a bit like trying to turn the Titanic. It is going to take time, and patience. Personally, I don't think they are doing half bad, all things considered.

That being said, while we may be a bit pooched, in some respects, in the ownership side of things (aside from a sweet field), we are more than blessed on the footie side of things. Galey is a right proper coach, with long experience in the game at a high level -  if we take into account his time as a youth at Fulham. What's more, he has lived in the Peg a long time, and I don't think he harbours many illusions about the situation he, and his team are in. Though I will cease further conjecture about what the gaffer may or may not think.

At the end of the day, we have a unique situation compared to the other teams in the league. We don't just have to win over the fans, we have to win over the owners. So far, from what I have seen, we will be able to do just that, though not until balls start getting kicked, and goals start getting scored.  I do worry that the attendance numbers will not be there at first. Perhaps that is the perpetually pessimistic Pegger in me.

In closing. To the disillusioned few, may I offer the following words of comfort, as ubiquitous with summer in these parts as mosquitoes and mayflies... "its the Bombers... what the **** did you expect?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoyle seems like a great addition. Well spoken and here for the right reasons. I haven’t picked a CPL club but I’ll definitely be cheering for him!

Interesting to note he mentions that he signed on early in the process and that at the time there were Canadian footballers that he knew who were skeptical about the league but now that things are a few weeks out they’re wishing they’d signed but are “stuck in the USL.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Hoyle seems like a great addition. Well spoken and here for the right reasons. I haven’t picked a CPL club but I’ll definitely be cheering for him!

Interesting to note he mentions that he signed on early in the process and that at the time there were Canadian footballers that he knew who were skeptical about the league but now that things are a few weeks out they’re wishing they’d signed but are “stuck in the USL.”

 

“stuck in the USL.”   -    LOVE IT

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Hoyle seems like a great addition. Well spoken and here for the right reasons. I haven’t picked a CPL club but I’ll definitely be cheering for him!

Interesting to note he mentions that he signed on early in the process and that at the time there were Canadian footballers that he knew who were skeptical about the league but now that things are a few weeks out they’re wishing they’d signed but are “stuck in the USL.”

I believe Hoyle #17 was Valour's second announced signing (Skylar Thomas was first).

I was surprised to hear that Hoyle has been playing year round for the last three years. The New Zealand season is around six months long just like CPL, so I wonder who he played for during the other six months. And whether he will be fatigued and prone to injury now. Regardless, it seems pretty obvious that his playing time will need to be somewhat limited.

The other interesting thing is that the CPL and NZ seasons are almost perfectly opposite, so that a player could theoretically play in both.

Edited by dsqpr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, dsqpr said:

II was surprised to hear that Hoyle has been playing year round for the last three years. The New Zealand season is around six months long just like CPL, so I wonder who he played for during the other six months. And whether he will be fatigued and prone to injury now. Regardless, it seems pretty obvious that his playing time will need to be somewhat limited.

I'm curious about this as well. If this is in fact true, neither his transfermarkt and soccerway profiles have him playing anywhere professional in the last few years other than the NZ top division, so it may be some kind of amateur level?

Edited by jonovision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The New Zealand league is basically a small group of local all-star teams playing against each other in a short 18 game summer (our winter) season. They also have several local elite amateur leagues centred on each of the major cities for normal club teams in the winter months (our summer):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_in_New_Zealand#Regional_competition

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm curious about this as well. If this is in fact true, neither his transfermarkt and soccerway profiles have him playing anywhere professional in the last few years other than the NZ top division, so it may be some kind of amateur level?

A lot of the New Zealand Premier League players spend the other six months with Regional top level club teams similar to the League one Ontario level where you still get paid good $ at better teams. I spent a year playing there with Napier City Rovers (regional club) where his brother plays! Unfortunately I couldn’t secure a NZ Premiership deal for summer with the foreign player ruling. I know Hoyle was the Director of the academy at one of these clubs, and his Canterbury team is owned by 12 regional teams coming together. So a NZ prem teams like Canterbury strategically place their best players in roles like that to make a good living all year round. In 2018 he won the Mainland Regional player of the year and Golden boot scoring 23 in 20 games ha! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wafflecone90 said:

A lot of the New Zealand Premier League players spend the other six months with Regional top level club teams similar to the League one Ontario level where you still get paid good $ at better teams. I spent a year playing there with Napier City Rovers (regional club) where his brother plays! Unfortunately I couldn’t secure a NZ Premiership deal for summer with the foreign player ruling. I know Hoyle was the Director of the academy at one of these clubs, and his Canterbury team is owned by 12 regional teams coming together. So a NZ prem teams like Canterbury strategically place their best players in roles like that to make a good living all year round. In 2018 he won the Mainland Regional player of the year and Golden boot scoring 23 in 20 games ha! 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/sport/87808823/canterbury-united-striker-stephen-hoyle-links-with-nomads-united

Found this article for 2016 after searching the web.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Federico Pena being with Standard Liege's U-21 team is quite impressive. Standard Liege are usually one of the four strongest clubs (along with Anderlecht, Bruges and Genk) in the Belgian top tier.

https://standard.be/fr/joueurs/federico-pena

Nestor Navia was the Colombian midfield player:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-ink-midfielders-nicolas-galvis-and-nestor-naiva

Means they definitely still have a roster spot for Diego Forlan after signing the two today even if they went with 20 signed players.

 

 

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Interesting sidenote:

The club has also announced that defender Nestor Navia will no longer be joining the club for the 2019 season due to personal reasons.

This really hurts. Valour were shorthanded defensively anyway and Navia was apparently a big, strong holding midfielder who could also play centre back. Not looking good defensively now. So far as I can tell, Valour don't even have enough strong defensive players for a starting eleven, never mind cover for injuries, suspensions, and rest. You can't keep signing attacking mid after attacking mid and hope to win anything come the season. Valour are likely to be leaking goals like a rusty old sieve. Poor old Farago is going to get PTSD.

Not to mention that, according to wikipedia, forward Calum Ferguson has exactly 2 goals in 42 professional appearances. Some centre backs score more often than that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calum_Ferguson

My expectations for the season have taken a massive nosedive with this announcement.

Edited by dsqpr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...