Lofty

Valour FC - Launch / 2019 Pre-Season

Think to be fair that he was never at that high a level in the first place in terms of being a pro level player. Most former youth players at Inverness Caledonian Thistle don't make the grade as fully pro level players and will wind up with a smaller semi-pro club like Elgin in the lower division of the SPFL or a tier lower than that in the Highland League, which is definitely very much comparable to being in L1O or the top amateur league in Winnipeg.

What you have to remember about Scotland is that although the top few clubs draw relatively large five figure crowds, the smaller full-time clubs even in the top tier (as ICT were until recently) often have home supports in the 1500 to 3000 range and sometimes struggle to compete with clubs in the fifth tier in England on player salaries. That means they don't have the finances to pay high enough salaries to stop a lot of the better Scottish players from drifting south to lower division English clubs.

People on here tend to get a bit too excited about Canadian players being at that sort of level in Europe and build it up into more than it really is relative to what's readily available in North America.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

People on here tend to get a bit too excited about Canadian players being at that sort of level in Europe and build it up into more than it really is relative to what's readily available in North America.

People are excited because it exceeded most expectations, including mine. We're looking at a decent USL level (at the very least) year 1 CPL with very realistic progression curve placing the league where it should be, somewhere between MLS and USL.

Just go away and let us have this. You're free to go enjoy what's "readily available in North America"

Truly bizarre stuff. CanPL, L1O and the top amateur league in Winnipeg are all part of what is readily available in North America. I was expressing relief that a player who struggled to start for Elgin City is not a standout right now at the Valour's preseason practice games, because I'm of the opinion that there should be players not just from L1O but also potentially on WSA Winnipeg and local Winnipeg amateur clubs like Lucania that should be able to offer as much as a player like Calum Ferguson.

Here's a sample of what an Elgin City game looks like:

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Truly bizarre stuff. CanPL, L1O and the top amateur league in Winnipeg are all part of what is readily available in North America. I was expressing relief that a player who struggled to start for Elgin City is not a standout right now at the Valour's preseason practice games, because I'm of the opinion that there should be players not just from L1O but also potentially on WSA Winnipeg and local Winnipeg amateur clubs like Lucania that should be able to offer as much as a player like Calum Ferguson.

Dude...no one gives a **** about Elgin City or your twisted views on Canadian soccer

10 hours ago, RS said:

BBTB compliments the skill level of Canadian players in North America, and people here freak out over it. 

That's what I thought. I assume people are mostly either past reading his posts and assume its negative, or they assume there are negative undertones. Either way, pretty funny that he gets called out for one of his most positive posts in years

Latest Galey interview:

> Martin (apparently pronounced "marteen") Arguiñarena (apparently "ar-gee-nya-rena", but the "r" has a bit of roll to it, between "lr" and "thr", and "g" as in "get") has arrived!

> Stevie Hoyle is expected at the beginning of April.

Edit: Ha! Found this and corrected my pronunciation key for Arguiñarena above: https://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/Arguiñarena

Edited by dsqpr

On 3/24/2019 at 9:46 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's an example of a Queen's Park match.  Elgin are the visitors.  The reason Hamden is almost empty is that Queen's Park is the only amateur club that plays in the Scottish professional league system.  I can't remember the whole story of why they play at Hampden, but there was some agreement with the SFA letting Queen's Park use Hampden in exchange for two oat cakes and a spurtle.

Just now, SuperCanuck said:

That's an example of a Queen's Park match.  Elgin are the visitors.  The reason Hamden is almost empty is that Queen's Park is the only amateur club that plays in the Scottish professional league system.  I can't remember the whole story of why they play at Hampden, but there was some agreement with the SFA letting Queen's Park use Hampden in exchange for two oat cakes and a spurtle.

What the fcuk does that have to do with Valour? Take it to a Scottish football thread. People come here to discuss Valour FC.

Edited by dsqpr

2 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

What the fcuk does that have to do with Valour? Take it to a Scottish football thread. People come here to discuss Valour FC.

I was merely pointing out that it was a Queen's Park home match, not Elgin City.  I've seen threads become completely off-topic for a page or two without people getting sworn at.  I wasn't aware one little correction is not allowed on this forum.

2 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Just watched the interview with John Peacock from March 22. He came off as a bit hostile lmao.

Really, I was surprised to read this so I went back and watched it.  I did not hear a hint of hostility.  His face had a bit of a scowl, but I think that's because the lighting is in his face.  His answers were completely professional.  You should watch it again.

Are you a season ticket holder ?

Just bought a couple tickets in the supporters section for some friends. We absolutely need to make this the best off field experience possible in order to make casuals/doubters come back. One of the main reasons they decided to come is because I always send them videos of supporters sections jumping up and down with smoke and everything .. hopefully we can replicate that in our own way!

3 hours ago, Ngravs said:

Just bought a couple tickets in the supporters section for some friends. We absolutely need to make this the best off field experience possible in order to make casuals/doubters come back. One of the main reasons they decided to come is because I always send them videos of supporters sections jumping up and down with smoke and everything .. hopefully we can replicate that in our own way!

You have inspired me to do the same.  Going to ask my niece and nephew and their significant others.  Calling it a house warming gift.

Just picked up 4 additional tickets in section 106, row 4.

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

5 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

You have inspired me to do the same.  Going to ask my niece and nephew and their significant others.  Calling it a house warming gift.

Just picked up 4 additional tickets in section 106, row 4.

This is a good idea. I'm giving away a couple of gift tickets too.

When I see what is happening in Hamilton compared to Winnipeg, it makes me want to throw the entire Bomber head office into the Red River, head first. Kudos to Hamilton but the contrast is absolutely sickening. The players deserve better, the coaching staff deserve better, and the fans deserve better. At this rate the first ever game will be played in front of a half empty half stadium and it will only be due to the effort and generosity of the fans that even that many people are there. 

Edited by dsqpr

7 minutes ago, charlesmazz said:

The team is playing their first exhibition game this afternoon against Winnipeg's PDL team WSA Winnipeg.

At IGF  ?

I was hoping they would allow season ticket holders access to exhibition matches.  It would provide some incentive to be a season ticket holder.

8 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

At IGF  ?

I was hoping they would allow season ticket holders access to exhibition matches.  It would provide some incentive to be a season ticket holder.

Yes at 2:30 pm but it's not open to the public. 

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

At IGF  ?

You do know we are talking the Bombers here, right?

"Give us your money and **** off".

29 minutes ago, charlesmazz said:

8-0 victory for Valour FC over WSA Winnipeg 

Good start for first "competitive" match.

Any idea on line ups and goal scorers?