Small tidbit from CanPL

Gordon

18 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Throwaway comment or statement of intent when Bob Young states at the end of his CanPL press release that as a father of 3 daughters he is aware that there is not a league for women "(yet)"?

Rollins said a few months back that the CPL leadership was tossing around the idea of a women's league in the years following CPL launch. I suspect it's along those lines 

I take it as a "we know it's not fair that there is no women's league, we are thinking about if it could work" sort of statement 

Yesterday Rollins tweeted that a CSA priority was looking at a team in Canada in the NWSL.  Most likely in Vancouver.  At work so can't find the tweet to post.  Hopefully the CPL might lead to some teams starting programs for the NWSL since the three MLS teams haven't done much of anything.

35 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Yesterday Rollins tweeted that a CSA priority was looking at a team in Canada in the NWSL.  Most likely in Vancouver.  At work so can't find the tweet to post.  Hopefully the CPL might lead to some teams starting programs for the NWSL since the three MLS teams haven't done much of anything.

"Yesterday Rollins tweeted that a CSA priority was looking at a team in Canada in the NWSL.  Most likely in Vancouver."

Complete and utter waste of money.  Imagine it's a nepotism thing anyway.

12 hours ago, Vic said:

"Yesterday Rollins tweeted that a CSA priority was looking at a team in Canada in the NWSL.  Most likely in Vancouver."

Complete and utter waste of money.  Imagine it's a nepotism thing anyway.

Care to explain since this is rather vague?

[ 1  ]   I should preface this by saying that I watch and enjoy a lot of NWSL streams and I cheer for good Canadian performances. In addition, I listened to Rollin's podcast and the takeaway there is that the CPL women's division is an ambition, a notion with no timetable, and likely governed by cautious economics when it happens.

[ 2 ]   To me, over the last four seasons, the NWSL has been a poor feeder system for the CANWNT. If anything,  the NWSL helped to shrink the CANWNT's talent pool. Some of this is on Canada; the players and prospects sent to the NWSL were not very good. On the other hand the NWSL clubs   showed little to no patience in developing non-American prospects. And because Canadians are deemed "internationals"  by the NWSL, Canada can barely get any prospects in the NWSL in the first place  ( especially through the NWSL college draft).

Now setting these complaints about the NWSL aside, Canada needs to do anything and everything  to create, to maximize,  as many Canadian women playing soccer professionally. The top women's nations all have large pools of women professional soccer players. Canada doesn't

In February,  the Australian PFA ( the  players union ) proposed the 60@60 plan which was provisionally endorsed by the FFA ( Football Federation Australia ). The plan's aim is to expand the pool of Australian women playing soccer professionally; by putting the Matildas on centralized contracts, by increasing the FFA's  dividend to women's clubs and by  a proposed minimum salary for W-League players. At the heart of it all, is Alen Stajcic , the Matilda's manager, saying that he wants a talent pool of 60  women professional soccer players!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/matildas-target-a-gold-medal-at-tokyo-olympics-as-part-of-ambitious-plan-to-overhaul-game/news-story/a96d7b3be6753ddf5df61375d868d1c9

[ 3 ]  For the sake of competitiveness, the CSA needs to strive for the largest possible pool of Canadian women playing soccer professionally. To that end:

- Canada needs to have Canadians playing on US-based NWSL teams.

- Canada needs to have NWSL clubs based in Canada

- Canada needs to have a Canada Premiere League women's division

- Canada needs to have as many Canadians as possible playing in the the top women's league abroad.

[ 4 ]     Simply put, they need it all and they needed it yesterday.

Archived