Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

21 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Shaffelburg has the look of a young Marcel de Jong.  

It's the blonde hair...am I right?

Seriously though, I do see the similarity in their play, but even at that age when de Jong had more pace, he still wasn't as fast as Shaffelburg is, I don't think.

Iike a young de Jong though, Shaffelburg has a propensity for taking players on and serving up some nice crosses!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It's the blonde hair...am I right?

Seriously though, I do see the similarity in their play, but even at that age when de Jong had more pace, he still wasn't as fast as Shaffelburg is, I don't think.

Iike a young de Jong though, Shaffelburg has a propensity for taking players on and serving up some nice crosses!

He has a stockier type of build similar to De Jong and he demonstrated a good left peg with service.  He'll need a string of starts to prove that he has that special pace needed to beat a defender in a set posture 1 v 1.   He might eventually find a good niche at LB, like De Jong.

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He has a stockier type of build similar to De Jong and he demonstrated a good left peg with service.  He'll need a string of starts to prove that he has that special pace needed to beat a defender in a set posture 1 v 1.   He might eventually find a good niche at LB, like De Jong.

Hmm...if anything it looks like he needs to beef up a little bit. 

I can also see him developing into a good left back!

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thought he played well for the most part last night against Leon. Has some great wheels. I wouldn't transition him to LB yet, even though he's the traits to excel in that position. He needs more playing time as a winger, hopefully Armas will continue to put him on the field. I like what Deleon brings to the side, but would still rather see Jacob over him, and definitely over Endoh and Gallardo.

4 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Thought he played well for the most part last night against Leon. Has some great wheels. I wouldn't transition him to LB yet, even though he's the traits to excel in that position. He needs more playing time as a winger, hopefully Armas will continue to put him on the field. I like what Deleon brings to the side, but would still rather see Jacob over him, and definitely over Endoh and Gallardo.

Yea I’ve always liked him and it see like he’s found a new gear, not sure Gallardo has much time left in red.

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

Yeah, I definitely thought he was the best of the 3 young guns last night.  A threat early on, then ran his ass off until he was subbed off late, exhausted.  Priso and Okello had their moments, with the better moments coming from Okello.

I’d take it a step further and say he was the best of the Canadians. Laryea was a little concerning defensively at times. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah I haven’t been high on him but there was a lot more than hustle. He beat players and put in a great ball for altidore in the first minute. Those saying he can’t take on guys.. I’m not sure what match you were watching.

That was more hustle than skill. He didn’t really beat anyone, but just outworked them on that sequence. 

1v1 skill is capable of beating an opponent in front of you by a jink, feint, step over or move to get by them. I haven’t seen him do any of that in his limited minutes, but I’ve seen Jayden and Jahkeele do it for comparison. 

He hasn’t shown that he’s skillful, reason why I think he would benefit from being a wingback with his hustle and speed being great assets for that position.

To add just looking at some of our current crop of players. Tajon, Ballou, Liam, and Theo C. All those guys are skillful, and will look to take you in 1v1 - try to beat you to create, vs route 1 whipping in a cross.

I hope I can quote myself and he can prove me wrong. But I don’t see it.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

That was more hustle than skill. He didn’t really beat anyone, but just outworked them on that sequence. 

1v1 skill is capable of beating an opponent in front of you by a jink, feint, step over or move to get by them. I haven’t seen him do any of that in his limited minutes, but I’ve seen Jayden and Jahkeele do it for comparison. 

He hasn’t shown that he’s skillful, reason why I think he would benefit from being a wingback with his hustle and speed being great assets for that position.

Yes, thank you. Does a nutmeg count as well? Because he had one or two of them. ;) 

I haven't seen much in terms of end product with goals or assists, or be able to work in the half spaces like other modern wingers. The Altidore cross was good, but if that's his best attribute, he can easy do that on the overlap.

I don't think it's an indictment to be pegged more as a wingback. He looks like he has the tools to dominate the left side with his workrate and pace in a back five. He may not have the defensive tools for a back four though and that may hold him back.

Edited by PopePouri

His strengths are his speed, positioning and ability to make the right runs. If he develops his IQ further and works on his technical ability like his crossing accuracy, passing, he can make it far IMO. His ceiling could be someone in David Beckham's mold, a guy that is 100% technique but he will need to work really hard to get there. 

Reminded me of a poor man's Craig Bellamy the other night. An absolute pest for defenders and incredible work rate up and down the pitch. Surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Agree with all the points here, it's a big season for him. If he shows some end product like he did the other night and improves one on one he could be a solid player. 

Given Armas is a workrate guy I would imagine Jacob gets decent minutes this year. I don't really know why he dropped of the radar so much last year. He looked bright in his first season.