Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Does anyone know why he was able to meet HG requirements and sign now but not before?  Seems unnecessary if all it took was 5-6 months with the team. 

My guess is that there are some arbitrary minutes played requirement with an academy or developmental squad that had  to be reached first. 

He might even see some minutes tonight against Dallas as TFC are lacking squad numbers at the moment with injuries and call ups

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Does anyone know why he was able to meet HG requirements and sign now but not before?  Seems unnecessary if all it took was 5-6 months with the team. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Because MLS is all about BS optics

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

My guess is that there are some arbitrary minutes played requirement with an academy or developmental squad that had  to be reached first. 

He might even see some minutes tonight against Dallas as TFC are lacking squad numbers at the moment with injuries and call ups

Shaffelburg has been in and out of the TFC Academy since 2016. It can be assumed that he reached the threshold established by MLS to be considered a homegrown signing, but it's not like he just joined them this year.

Great game for Jacob. I can see he's still very raw, but I can also see why Toronto are high on him. Brings pace and good service out wide, willing to take players on, and wasn't overwhelmed with the speed of play. 

Definitely one to watch for the future. At 19 years old, he'll be aiming to make the U-23 team for Olympic Qualifying.

Edited by Obinna

Honestly I know we rip on TFC and Vanney for their roster construct but... Ali Curtis preached youth at NYRB and they played the kids, it worked. TFC are starting to be loaded with young players, at a point they can win and saves money by playing the kids. Bradley at 6 isn’t worth it when a guy like Chapman, Fraser, Okello, Dunn, Shaffleburg etc is looking for minutes and pushing for the somewhere across the field. 

Upfront Altidore has competition coming as well.

Much of the post-game discussion from Vanney is on Shaffelburg, praising him to the skies:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/06/26/postgame-sound-greg-vanney-june-26-2019?autoplay=

A few minutes in he confirms what I thought had been the case re: signing him as a homegrown player as soon as he fulfilled the number of minutes required to qualify as one.

Was at the game tonight. Definitely played well, had a lot of positive touches, drove the touchline and put in some dangerous balls. Def lots to improve upon but great to see overall and lots to be excited about. 

Fraser also impressed me. Loads of composure, demanded the ball, and succeeded with a lot of high risk passes. Looked well beyond his years and I liked how he made an assertive gesture towards Pozuelo at one point demanding Poz to give him a better option.

37 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Was at the game tonight. Definitely played well, had a lot of positive touches, drove the touchline and put in some dangerous balls. Def lots to improve upon but great to see overall and lots to be excited about. 

Fraser also impressed me. Loads of composure, demanded the ball, and succeeded with a lot of high risk passes. Looked well beyond his years and I liked how he made an assertive gesture towards Pozuelo at one point demanding Poz to give him a better option.

I think Fraser may prove to be more valuable than Delgado, if he hasn't done so already.

For me, he is already more dependable in posession and more creative when the game calls for it. His passing is also more accurate and he gets around the field and gets stuck in just as well as Delgado, if not better.

I would like to see Fraser start alongside Bradley more often.

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Fraser may prove to be more valuable than Delgado, if he hasn't done so already.

For me, he is already more dependable in posession and more creative when the game calls for it. His passing is also more accurate and he gets around the field and gets stuck in just as well as Delgado, if not better.

I would like to see Fraser start alongside Bradley more often.

I’ve been very high on Fraser for a few seasons. He hasn’t always had stand out performances but I saw enough to see has quality to add to the midfield. 

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Wenger moved Viera on when he was close to his peak in order to clear the way for Fabregas. Pep moved Deco and Ronaldinho on to make way for Iniesta and Messi. 

Now, we know that Vanney doesn't have anything like the vision of Wenger or Pep.

Micheal Bradley = Dax McCarthy 

Liam Fraser = Sam Davis

?