Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

Unfortunately next match is likely going to be the last time you'll see him for TFC's first team until the Voyageurs Cup.  He's on a TFC II deal so that he can meet homegrown status and then they're going to sign him to the first team.  Not sure how long that will take to be honest.  

To be fair the Dorsey kid did not play bad either, if he was Canadian most on here would be singing his praises lol, however, when you start guys with no pro experience in a Champions League game unless they are the second coming of Messi you deserve to get lambasted by what was essentially a USL side that Panamanian team. Shaffelburg shows promise and showed he has talent when he came on. If TFC was that desperate for players could they have not signed the Canadian former Orlando MLS player  Laryea   who has been in training camp since it started , who at least has pro experience , on a short term contract and played him to see what he could do in that sort of game ?

Edited by 1996

Dorsey was friggin horrible. But we can add, several players to that list including Delgado and Morrow specifically.

Shaffelburg I thought showed some good promise. But he became the only option quite quickly. The number one things with TFC's attack is their transparency. I can tell which player they are passing too and I am not a pro. I can only image how the other teams just wait to pick them off. The thing I couldn't help but notice is how his arms flailed around as he ran. I hope he is never defending in the box or an opposing player will kick the ball at his arms!

Anyway, Canadians... Laryea should've been given a shot IMO. Morgan didn't look great but I still rate him over Morrow. Could be the fact that he rarely gets any time on the pitch... Osorio was okay first touch on a few balls was not good, Chapman was okay - was on too late to make any impact. Would've liked to have seen Fraser in there for Bradley at some point.

I'm not sure how many TFC players would agree with that assessment of Dorsey (Edit - the one that said suggested that he wasn't bad, not the one immediately above) - they seemed reluctant to pass to him (not helped by some of the poor positions he was taking up in relation to his teammates) whereas they seemed to want to find Shaffelburg far more eagerly. And on the same token, he looked a lot more eager to take players on than Dorsey. Granted, I'm not sure either player should have been making their pro debut as a 19 year old in these circumstances.

In any event, looks like the kid has a good attitude:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/02/20/just-be-confident-and-trust-your-abilities-and-do-what-youre-supposed-do-jacob?autoplay=true

Edited by Gian-Luca

To me, Dorsey made runs when he should've passed, passed when he should've run, first touch was not great, was easily knocked off the ball, was super easy to predict. First impression was that he was very average at best. Shaffelburg had way more ability and appears to have a much higher ceiling.

I don’t think it’s fair to say Dorsey was awful.  He didn’t impress but it’s to be expected. Vanney is just a moron the way he gets these little crushes on certain guys - hoping Dorsey actually has to prove something before playing again. 

MLS in general just sucks for Canada.  

Particularly with TFC: An American draft pick walks into the squad while a Canadian kid can’t even sign for a club in his own country.  Draft picks are always given chances ahead of players who have been in the system for years as pros.  Basically TFC is admitting that their academy/system sucks as they’re willing to throw in a guy like Dorsey at first instance and Shaffelburg just joined a few months ago. 

Who wants to watch that crap?  No Canadians and still getting embarrassed off the pitch anyway... Why would anyone support this team this year? The one exciting player from last night can’t even play this season - it’s a farce.  

More inportantly, why would any player in TFC’s system want to sign for the first team? It’s just not worth it - a guy like Marcel Zajac is doing it right. 

I wonder if we drafted Buchanan if he would have got a start?  Somehow I really doubt it.. 

Oh how I am getting that ole TFC feeling from 5-10 years ago.  To be comepletely fair, Dorsey was awful...but that is expected coming out of college and playing his first big game in Panama for cripes sakes!!    But I'm sure Vanney will give him multiple chances to prove himself (grr).  The way Shaffleburg reacted to the same bad situation shows some character and hopefully where he is as a player.  He didnt look physically out of place, didnt look intimidated or scared and showed some nice bits of skill. 

I agree totally with Keegan about the draft pick vs academy kid situation, its like the value the picks higher than  kids that have been in the organization for years.  How does that encourage youngsters to enter the academy?? '  As well as the fact that if they were going to half ass this, why not play Telfer over Morrow (out of position) and at least give Hamilton/Akinola etc a run out as Boyd didnt look much better than Dorsey.  Oh well, at least I'll have the CPL to watch this summer.  

I'm not going to crap on Dorsey because sure he wasn't good, but almost everybody was terrible last night. Shaffelburg was bright, and Osorio was fine. Everyone else was pretty bad. Hopefully the Shaffelburg performance is a sign of things to come, but it's way too early to go projecting. I hope he proves his talents with TFC II and can earn a first team contract.

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Hopefully with Alie Curtis they play more younger academy guys.

they can produce good players they just haven’t done it consistently, Osorio is great but it’s fucking TFC, there should Hagen been 10 of him by now.

Osorio isn't even really an academy player. Years spent in TFC's academy doesn't seem to translate into performance as a professional. Their best grads so far I would say have been Osorio (a couple months with the organization before turning pro), Edwards (is he even homegrown? Not sure. They saw him in L1O and brought him on), Doneil Henry (must have been a short time since they had just started the academy, I'm guessing no more than a year in the academy but I don't actually know) and Ashtone Morgan (similar to Henry).

Chapman is probably the next guy on the list, and he left (or was booted?) and played in KW before returning. Hamilton is probably the next guy and he has spent a lot of time with TFC (at least since he was 14, and probably longer than that) but they didn't even trust him to be on the bench last night despite having a couple of players that don't have a first team contract in the 18, and a defender playing in the front 3.

15 hours ago, Kent said:

Osorio isn't even really an academy player. Years spent in TFC's academy doesn't seem to translate into performance as a professional. Their best grads so far I would say have been Osorio (a couple months with the organization before turning pro), Edwards (is he even homegrown? Not sure. They saw him in L1O and brought him on), Doneil Henry (must have been a short time since they had just started the academy, I'm guessing no more than a year in the academy but I don't actually know) and Ashtone Morgan (similar to Henry).

Chapman is probably the next guy on the list, and he left (or was booted?) and played in KW before returning. Hamilton is probably the next guy and he has spent a lot of time with TFC (at least since he was 14, and probably longer than that) but they didn't even trust him to be on the bench last night despite having a couple of players that don't have a first team contract in the 18, and a defender playing in the front 3.

I'd add Mark Anthony Kaye to that list even though he never played for the first team.  Think he was in the academy for a few years and played for TFCII before moving to Louisville and onto MLS success with LAFC.  Arguably the most successful "true" academy player and never got a chance to play a 1st team minute at TFC.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

Good for him! I'm still incredibly disappointed he didn't somehow make it onto a CPL squad. 

My guess is that if the CPL teams do alright against MLS opposition, we may begin to see a few more loans. I'm most surprised that the Whitecaps haven't loaned out any players, seeing as their team just below MLS is a side that only plays friendlies

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

My guess is that if the CPL teams do alright against MLS opposition, we may begin to see a few more loans. I'm most surprised that the Whitecaps haven't loaned out any players, seeing as their team just below MLS is a side that only plays friendlies

Forget loans, I am already excited to see the day MLS teams buy CPL players.

That will be a great day to if/when our domestic league becomes a reliable pipeline to MLS. 

I hear that TFC needs a winger. I hear that Borges has been incredible for Forge FC..... 😎

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Whitecaps just launched their U23 team to create games for their youth players and were on tour until about a month ago. It's poor timing that they both launched at the same time. 

15 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Whitecaps just launched their U23 team to create games for their youth players and were on tour until about a month ago. It's poor timing that they both launched at the same time. 

They knew CPL was coming. They were probably using this team to keep as many of their youth players as possible

• 3 weeks later...