Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

27 minutes ago, Big_M said:

A couple years ago he was listed 2001 but now 1999 on multiple sites including TFC so should be 99

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/11/28/toronto-fc-ii-sign-jacob-shaffelburg

It could just be everyone following the same mistake.  I mean, would this kid be so highly sought after by bundesliga clubs etc if he was just tearing up high school as an overager?  Unlikely imo. 

In a 2017 article on him playing with Bethlehem Steel they called him 15.

Edited by Keegan

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Copes said:

So what soccer is not popular at the youth level in Nova Scotia like it is in the rest of Canada ? From the article Shaffelburg states he was the only one of all his friends who played soccer, everyone else played hockey . 

8 minutes ago, 1996 said:

So what soccer is not popular at the youth level in Nova Scotia like it is in the rest of Canada ? From the article Shaffelburg states he was the only one of all his friends who played soccer, everyone else played hockey . 

He's from rural Nova Scotia, really rural. Not much soccer in really rural Canada outside of timbits.

I actually grew up where he is from, albeit a few years ahead of him. My best friend knows his family and made the joke to me today when I shared the news that "he was 4 years old and dangling 12 year olds at the family BBQ". 

In all seriousness though, its not that people didn't play soccer - it just wasn't the priority. Soccer was the summer sport, and hockey was the winter sport. Most of the guys didnt take soccer particularly seriously. Youd play on a school team, or maybe Timbits, for the organized play aspect. Pickup games on weekends would always be road hockey - no one heads down to the field to kick a ball. And once hockey tryouts start for the school team half the soccer players stop showing up. 

Kind of the nature of small communities. Not tons of kids to play, and even fewer who took it seriously. 

Based on tonight's performance anyone looking at this objectively would be hard pressed to explain he is on a TFC2 deal while Dorsey is with the first team, except for the Generation  Adidas status. Pretty crazy that TFC 's entire offensive plan tonight seemed to be "Let's give it to a teenage TFC 2 player playing his first game and let's see what he can do with it" but good on Jacob for being the only positive and giving a positive post game interview (presumably this means he is the new leader on the team).