Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

47 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

http://www.nesoccerjournal.com/berkshire-jacob-shaffelburg-professional-soccer-options/

Jacob Shaffelburg, the reigning Massachusetts Gatorade Player of the Year, has significant interest to sign a professional contract in Europe or with Major League Soccer, said a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Shaffelburg, a Nova Scotia native entering his senior season at the Berkshire School, could sign with MLS and be eligible for the 2019 MLS SuperDraft in January. German clubs 1. FC Nürnberg, Werder Bremen and Fortuna Dusseldorf have also shown interest in the forward

Impressive 

Does player have dual citizenship? Looks like he won’t  be playing much in NCAA as he’ll eitheir strive for MLS or Europe 

How good is this kid? If he’s just going to play u19 I think it would be better to stay on the North American route.  Having a GA deal and being a top pick is almost guaranteed to get him playing time at a good level even if I’m not the biggest MLS fan.. of course the question becomes what happens if you’re good enough to leave. 

Then again if he does go to Germany what are the chances he gets a summer loan to Halifax?  Now that would be amazing.. also nice that he apparently caught the eye of Düsseldorf.

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How good is this kid? If he’s just going to play u19 I think it would be better to stay on the North American route.  Having a GA deal and being a top pick is almost guaranteed to get him playing time at a good level even if I’m not the biggest MLS fan.. of course the question becomes what happens if you’re good enough to leave. 

The ongoing problem with choosing MLS and signing that GA deal is the option years and the fact that it is usually not worth it for an MLS club to sell a good GA player as it is great for their salary cap situation.

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

My emoticon feelings are conflicted! Happy to see him progress, but was sort of hoping he would land in Halifax. Crossing my fingers for a loan deal!

That might be the plan, grab as much talent around and loan them to CPL or USL and see which one pan out 

I was hoping he would land in Germany and be loaned to Halifax in the summer.  

This feels like a defensive move since I can’t see how TFC signs him if not for CPL coming in.  How do they sign him?  Shouldn’t he have had to go through the MLS draft?  As I understand it he has spent time with New England and Toronto.  Seems like he would be perfect as a Canadian GA player to be drafted (I would prefer that honestly because I’ve always felt players who get drafted have an added incentive to get playing time). 

19 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I was hoping he would land in Germany and be loaned to Halifax in the summer.  

This feels like a defensive move since I can’t see how TFC signs him if not for CPL coming in.  How do they sign him?  Shouldn’t he have had to go through the MLS draft?  As I understand it he has spent time with New England and Toronto.  Seems like he would be perfect as a Canadian GA player to be drafted (I would prefer that honestly because I’ve always felt players who get drafted have an added incentive to get playing time). 

That’s a good point. He tore the Düsseldorf RB to pieces during the prospects game in Halifax - thought the Germans may have been using the game as a little scouting venture as well.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Nothing prevents Halifax from trying to buy his USL contract...

Seems unlikely though. Can’t imagine we’ll be in a position financially to be purchasing players any time soon.

Now that I think of it, it’s unlikely TFC will be doing any loan agreements to CPL at all with TFC II available. I imagine Montreal, Vancouver, or another MLS squad without a “farm” team would be better suited for potential loan agreements. 

• 1 month later...