• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

with all the attention on Baldisimo and rightfully so, I thought Derek looked really solid yesterday. 

I know your MO is to be critical of Canadian players (not sure of your motivation, reality check for all us pro-Canadian fans on a Canadian supporters site?) but can you honestly say that Cornelius ha

Such an odd gripe to have after a win in the first game of the season with 7 Canadians seeing the pitch 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Kent said:

That's what we thought when Raheem Edwards was left unprotected. LAFC picked him up and traded him to Montreal.

Exactly. I could see Miller taken .. he’s a young cheap Canadian international and definitely coveted by more than a few teams. If Orlando is trying to be strategic in leaving him unprotected they’re mistaken. 

As others have said he would fit nicely in Toronto but also a few others teams. Just look at Callum Montgomery - a higher pick in 2019 but has never played MLS let alone for the CMNT. Yet, coveted by Minnesota.

Edited by CanadaFan123
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, shorty said:

Agree with most of those picks except for Justin Glad 🤨

Yeah, I don't even thing he was the best US defender, gave the ball away (either directly or overhit passes out of bounds) quite a lot. I'd also have ranked Godinho over him based on that tourney.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, VinceA said:

Still hurt. Doesn't matter though Dos Santos doesn't seem to have any interest in using his bench.

I think he made all the right changes in last night game. 
You don't change your backline if their doing well...and he took off the guys who were doing the most running  and were a risk for burnout/being caught out. 

I think that was a well-coached game. 

15 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Such an odd gripe to have after a win in the first game of the season with 7 Canadians seeing the pitch 

Not really. You are managing a lead so you need to use your subs more wisely, not just toss in a few late for no reason. And not even use all you can, so not even benefiting from giving your team a breather. It is amateur coaching, leaving aside the fact that looking at that bench, well, there was not a lot to get out of it, you could be right there.

I thought the 11 that started still looked energetic late into the match, I'm not sure how strong the bench actually was because of injuries and covid protocols, Metcalfe and Raposo did ok in the short time they were on the field however, I thought is was a well coached good win vs potentially one of the top teams in MLS!

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not really. You are managing a lead so you need to use your subs more wisely, not just toss in a few late for no reason. And not even use all you can, so not even benefiting from giving your team a breather. It is amateur coaching, leaving aside the fact that looking at that bench, well, there was not a lot to get out of it, you could be right there.

I don't think the complaint had anything to do with tactics. It was in relation to young Canadians not getting minutes. 

59 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Should be noted that a full strength VWFC squad doesn't have Cornelius starting. That's not good.

I think we will have to see what happens when he is healthy enough for selection, I will be surprised if he doesn't play a lot of minutes this season!

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Should be noted that a full strength VWFC squad doesn't have Cornelius starting. That's not good.

Not 100% true. Godoy is considered the clear cut #1 but MDS has said #2 spot is still up for grabs between Ranko and Derek. Tbf though, Ranko had a strong game last night and usually loooks good when he’s starting. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I would normally defer to your experience, UT, but I disagree with you here.  I thought given who he had, those were wily subs.  I personally have more faith in Metcalfe and would have trusted him earlier, but I think MDS didn't see guys on the bench he could trust to hold the fort for 30 mins and didn't want to take off the few threats on the field in case Portland tied it up.  Once it was closer to 90, though, separating out the two subs a couple of minutes apart definitely stretched out and slowed down the extra time, and gave everyone a needed breather in the 5 added minutes.  I thought that was exactly the point of those subs. (And trust me, I usually do not like MDS' choices)

If I thought that Bair would dig hard and press Zuparic and Mabiala for the last two or three minutes, I would have made a third stoppage time sub for Cava as well.  Unfortunately, Bair seems too lopey and dopey to me for that, and COQ didn't shake that view.  Even defending a tired Cava > a fresh Bair.

Edited by shorty