Jump to content

Derek Cornelius


Grizzly
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, PiedPilko said:

Olympiacos / PAOK are really good teams. They could play in top 5 leagues - Cornelius isn't there. Probably a Lamia-type move, like James.

What about a squad like AEK Athens? Some of their other center backs seems to have similar resumes to Cornelius, right? Or am I stretching?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratos_Svarnas 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionuț_Nedelcearu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Cornelius

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What about a squad like AEK Athens? Some of their other center backs seems to have similar resumes to Cornelius, right? Or am I stretching?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratos_Svarnas 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionuț_Nedelcearu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Cornelius

Just from a quick look, Svarnas looks like he rose up through the ranks of the Greek system and is actively involved with the national team. Nedelcearu performed well in Romania and Russia before securing that move. 

 

Cornelius is struggling on one of the worst MLS teams, and one that hasn't shown a resistance to playing Canadians. When you make that kind of loan move, you generally won't be seeing an upgrade in teams. To bigger clubs, he's an unestablished, non-domestic defender. He'll likely end up on an unestablished team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, narduch said:

You are right. That is a weird loan period. My guess is that is the length of time remaining on his contract.

That's my thought too, but that still makes it strange. If he goes there and does well, you can't sell him to them - they can just wait out his contract and sign him for free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Just from a quick look, Svarnas looks like he rose up through the ranks of the Greek system and is actively involved with the national team. Nedelcearu performed well in Romania and Russia before securing that move. 

 

Cornelius is struggling on one of the worst MLS teams, and one that hasn't shown a resistance to playing Canadians. When you make that kind of loan move, you generally won't be seeing an upgrade in teams. To bigger clubs, he's an unestablished, non-domestic defender. He'll likely end up on an unestablished team.

While the bolded is accurate, it's also true (in my opinion, but we can debate on it) that Vancouver is a much better club than Dinamo Bucuresti (where Nedelcearu came up), as much as the Whitecaps are somewhat of a joke on this side of the pond. In fairness though, we should maybe compare the Whitecaps with Ufa, but even then Vancouver has double the transfermarket value, so harder nut to crack, arguably. Even though Nedelcearu is a year older, he has two more caps and goals than Cornelius, but a shit ton more club games (more than double), so you are probably right we are looking at a superior player. He also has double the transfer market value himself.

Won't go through the same detailed comparison for Svarnas, because anyone interested can check out the profile and compare for themselves.

What I would say though is that I hope he lands on a team more established than Lamia. AEK is a significantly bigger club than Vancouver by reputation, and slightly by market value, but this bigger club wouldn't necessarily see an unestablished, non-domestic defender as a negative, maybe they would see it as a bargain? The loan makes it a low risk proposition, unless there is some sort of stipulation where they must buy, but there is no word on that. 

What do you think on my thought process here. Am I still reaching? I really want to think Cornelius can do better than bottom of the table Greece, but maybe I am being too hopeful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

While the bolded is accurate, it's also true (in my opinion, but we can debate on it) that Vancouver is a much better club than Dinamo Bucuresti (where Nedelcearu came up), as much as the Whitecaps are somewhat of a joke on this side of the pond. In fairness though, we should maybe compare the Whitecaps with Ufa, but even then Vancouver has double the transfermarket value, so harder nut to crack, arguably. Even though Nedelcearu is a year older, he has two more caps and goals than Cornelius, but a shit ton more club games (more than double), so you are probably right we are looking at a superior player. He also has double the transfer market value himself.

Won't go through the same detailed comparison for Svarnas, because anyone interested can check out the profile and compare for themselves.

What I would say though is that I hope he lands on a team more established than Lamia. AEK is a significantly bigger club than Vancouver by reputation, and slightly by market value, but this bigger club wouldn't necessarily see an unestablished, non-domestic defender as a negative, maybe they would see it as a bargain? The loan makes it a low risk proposition, unless there is some sort of stipulation where they must buy, but there is no word on that. 

What do you think on my thought process here. Am I still reaching? I really want to think Cornelius can do better than bottom of the table Greece, but maybe I am being too hopeful.

You've just got to factor in the circumstances. When a player isn't getting minutes at one level, you can't expect them to make an upward move... especially when it's a loan. It indicates that Cornelius is pretty desperate for playing time.

 

Looking over at the Greek Super League though, there're 3 Serbian managers who might be familiar with Cornelius from his time at Ivanjica, so maybe a mid-table team is possible. My money's on Tripolis, since their coach was still in Serbia when Cornelius was.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Best of luck to him. Great to be out of the Vancouver shithousery. 

Maybe in a year and half a miracle happens and the club is back on track enough for him to return and lead the line. Hopefully he has gone on to bigger and better things though. 

I don't see him going back to Vancouver. If he plays well he'll stay in Europe. If he doesn't, it will prove MDS right and they won't want him back. But either way, I think his time in Vancouver is done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess this opens the door for the whitecaps to sign Campagna to a first team contract as they said they would once they had a spot.  I don’t know whether this is good or bad considering the current state of the Caps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If he doesn't, it will prove MDS right and they won't want him back. 

A potential c.v. highlight MDS can point to in his upcoming interviews for other coaching positions.

I hope Cornelius is able to get back on track with his new club.  And hopefully he gets back into the NT picture again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

I guess this opens the door for the whitecaps to sign Campagna to a first team contract as they said they would once they had a spot.  I don’t know whether this is good or bad considering the current state of the Caps

Probably Facchineri first. He's been on the bench.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

I guess this opens the door for the whitecaps to sign Campagna to a first team contract as they said they would once they had a spot.  I don’t know whether this is good or bad considering the current state of the Caps

He might get promoted to a first team home grown contract. That will make make 5 CBs, not including Brown who came in as being able to play there as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He might get promoted to a first team home grown contract. That will make make 5 CBs, not including Brown who came in as being able to play there as well. 

I wouldn't include Brown on that list.  He's been playing regularly at either rb or lb and has looked good there.  Can't see them shifting him to cb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I wouldn't include Brown on that list.  He's been playing regularly at either rb or lb and has looked good there.  Can't see them shifting him to cb.

He's capable of moving into that position if needed is my point.  I don't think the club will be looking to sign another CB from elsewhere for the remainder of this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...