MLS Player Salaries - April 2017 Edition

Big_M

Shamit Shome making $128K this year. While I don't think the move was the best for his short term development, it's hard to argue with the move from the financial view. That's probably 4-5 years of salary at FC Edmonton.

Larin at $192K is a damn steal, especially when compared with the other big name goal scorers in Giovinco ($7.1 mil), Villa ($5.61 mil), Wright-Phillips ($1.64 mil), and Kamara ($800K). Dude is going to get a massive raise when he moves to Europe, and is easily worth a DP deal if he stays in MLS long term.

Ricketts, Edgar and de Jong are on $193K, $183K and $140K respectively. Pretty decent paycheques for their limited roles in MLS. 

Davies makes more as a 16 year old then I do as a 33 year old. That is....depressing.

55 minutes ago, badname22 said:

How is Edwards making roughly 1/6th of what Mavinga makes?

Mavinga played in Ligue 1 and RPL and is a PSG and Liverpool academy grad with several caps for the Congo. Edwards is a local man.

Here's my view of the best bargains/worst rip offs for each of the Canadian teams.

Montreal: Best bargain - going out on a limb here I know, but it just maybe, just possibly, be Piatti

Worst rip-off: Right now it's, unfortunately, Shome though obviously he has time to correct this once he gets healthy. Otherwise I'd suggest Oduro's salary is a little high. Overall this team of the three Canadian team probably has best value for money, nobody here is really at a "rip-off" salary.

TFC: Best bargain - got to be Edwards at that piddly little $53k minimun salary

Worst rip-off: At the moment got to be Daniel Lovitz, as according to that link they are paying him $79K to play for Montreal! Assuming that's a mis-listing, then it would have to go to Mavinga who has the highest salary of any TFC defender (but his only contribution to the team so far is to have cost his team two points against Atlanta).

Vancouver: Best bargain - given how much they play him, probably Davies (followed by Harvey)

Worst rip-off: Geez, almost too many to choose from. Vancouver as at the opposite end of the spectrum to Montreal IMO. Brek Shea for nearly $700K? Christian Techera for $377K? Andrew Jacobson for $175K? $131K for Hurtado to constantly miss the net? Yikes. You might add De Jong to that list since (unlike Edgar) he's healthy but doesn't seem to play much. But other than Hurtado, he is making less than all of these other players.

I notice that Babouli is listed along with one other player as having no club but still earning a salary (an almighty $54K for what would have been a 2nd year player). Perhaps an announcement of a new signing is forthcoming in the next day or two, but right now, absent anyone in the media bothering to ask TFC why they cut him, you can only look at that salary and ask why did they bother?

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Tesho Akindele at 112k is a pretty good deal. 

He would probably be starting on most teams in MLS but in a way it is good that he faces the competition for a spot that he does in Dallas. He is a much better player for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 10:52 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Worst rip-off: Right now it's, unfortunately, Shome though obviously he has time to correct this once he gets healthy. Otherwise I'd suggest Oduro's salary is a little high. Overall this team of the three Canadian team probably has best value for money, nobody here is really at a "rip-off" salary.

I could be wrong, but i believe that Shome might be a generation addidas player which would explain the salary.  Also, i think that generation addidas salaries dont count against the cap and are not paid by the club.

But on another note, has Shome seen any minutes this this year?  Generation addidas players are seen as promising players but if they are not getting playing time, then you have to question the club or coach's decision and or the designation bestowed was warranted.  Maybe they just didnt want that opportunity to go to waste.  

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I could be wrong, but i believe that Shome might be a generation addidas player which would explain the salary.  Also, i think that generation addidas salaries dont count against the cap and are not paid by the club.

But on another note, has Shome seen any minutes this this year?  Generation addidas players are seen as promising players but if they are not getting playing time, then you have to question the club or coach's decision and or the designation bestowed was warranted.  Maybe they just didnt want that opportunity to go to waste.  

Shome hasn't had any playing time but I believe he just returned to light training last week. 

Archived