Patrick Metcalfe

toontownman

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I havnt seen either one since they left MLS, just wondering if its still a like for like comparison between the 2, or maybe they are in new roles with new clubs.  

Oh yeah, I understand what you're asking, but I am in boat as you, honestly. I have no idea how either are being deployed. I am just guessing that if nothing has changed, they'd sort of be like-for-like given what I know about them. 

• 4 months later...

Yup too bad. My guess is that he wants to make sure he's a regular, even if it means going back down to the 2nd division. 

The silver lining is that Fredrikstad FK are a big club as far as Norway goes, with a history that's more fitting for the top flight. Their 9 titles trump Stabaek's single title, but Stabaek won in 2008 and Fredrikstad hasn't won since the 1960s. They did win a Norwegian cup in 2006 at least. 

Anyways, stadium size is not everything, but they play in a stadium 3 times the size of Stabaek's, and as I said they have a bigger history of winning, so hopefully this can be one step back, two steps forward. 

• 5 weeks later...

Patrick was mentioned a couple of times last night during the British television broadcast of Gent v West Ham in the Europa Conference League. It was in reference to (I believe) the below interview about his former team mate and current Gent striker Gift Orban. 

https://www.thescore.com/eng_fed/news/2622606/amp

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Patrick was mentioned a couple of times last night during the British television broadcast of Gent v West Ham in the Europa Conference League. It was in reference to (I believe) the below interview about his former team mate and current Gent striker Gift Orban. 

https://www.thescore.com/eng_fed/news/2622606/amp

...and a reference to Jonathan David as the "most special player" that Smet has seen rep the Buffalos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

They won away 0-4 with Metcalfe playing 90… and Friedrikstad are promoted to top flight with 4 games to go. After promoting last year with Stabaek let's hope this time he can stay with the team in Elitserien.

https://twitter.com/fredrikstadfk/status/1711032550242558398?t=Y2n66ATNI2w8NU2-3zW0yw&s=19

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just wanted to add, since I was looking a bit more: Friedrikstad was a historically strong team in Norway and won leagues way back in the 60s, but has slipped. But the potential is strong, and with the traditional powerhouse Rosenborg no longer dominating (remember they won like a dozen leagues in a row back when), the league is quite open. 

So for Metcalfe to make this step up, and I think they would keep him, that would be important for his career and possibly make him interesting for our NT. The last 6-7 games he plays in the right side of the midfield, from what I've seen, or a right wingback in a 3-5-2. And usually playing 90 or almost. Before that he was the central mid, or sometimes appeared on the outside right in a 5-3-2. He was not starting as much earlier in the league, this last half he's appeared more.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

He started in a pre-season friendly vs. KFUM Oslo (the historical YMCA team), 1-1 tie. Good to see he will be part of their regular mix, but I did not see where he was playing. He is usually a right side midfielder.

This team just promoted but were a historical powerhouse in the 30s to 50s, winning leagues and cups. The last 50 years they've been much more modest, so I'd say they are aiming at not relegating and staying up this season. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

2 games in with Fredrikstad he's played 2 90s and got an assist last game. Fotmob has him as a right wing back but don't know enough about him to say if its accurate or not.

All last season he was a right mid or wingback.

I think they must have played Cup last night because I see it was a blowout, 10-0… he subbed in second half.

He's playing at the same level as Jayden Nelson but the comparative attention the latter gets here doesn't reflect that at all.

48 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Metcalfe is playing in the same league but not the same level as Nelson.  Metcalfe doesn't make the game day roster of Rosenberg, let alone get a minute of playing time if they switched teams. 

How much of him have you watched lately?

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

Metcalfe is playing in the same league but not the same level as Nelson.  Metcalfe doesn't make the game day roster of Rosenberg, let alone get a minute of playing time if they switched teams. 

Rosenborg is now a mid-level Norway top-flight team, they are not even good enough to make Europe anymore. If they could get their form and reputation back it'd be fantastic, as they are the winningest team in the league's history. It is what they aspire to, but they've been partially replaced by power shifts in Norwegian club football. 

Rosenborg had a losing record last year, and two games from the end was still relegation threatened.

True that Fredrikstad aspire to consolidate this year in top flight, after promoting, but the level of play is the same. I invite you to check which club in Norway has the second most league trophies (you guessed it).

There is no club in Norway that is good because it is the big club in the big city. No Oslo club is dominant, Brann in Bergen is not, Viking Stavanger is not, the bigger population bases do not dominate with big clubs. Which is why, following the model of Trondheim producing Rosenborg, any smaller population centre could aspire to success in Norway.

I have followed Norway football and things Norway since we had players there, but I was in Norway over Easter for personal reasons, I'm taking a special interest lately.

I get peeved by these comments, I admit: Metcalfe went from Whitecaps organisation to Norway 2 years ago, and is now in top flight, although his first team also promoted and did not take him with them. He promoted twice into Eliteserien.

Jayden Nelson left last year from TFC and is in Norway top flight for a second year. He's younger, and has a higher market value, no question. But still: Jayden was a late sub in a Rosenborg loss to Norwegian powerhouse Stromsgodset last weekend, I bet those were some impressive minutes that Metcalfe would never have sniffed.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's playing at the same level as Jayden Nelson but the comparative attention the latter gets here doesn't reflect that at all.

Same thing I said about Bair and Johnston.

49 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

You're right, the difference is Jayden is 21 and Patrick is 25. This might be the highest level for the latter.

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

Same thing I said about Bair and Johnston.

You're right, the difference is Jayden is 21 and Patrick is 25. This might be the highest level for the latter.

I looked at transfer values and Jayden is far higher, ten times more; and his next 2-3 years are critical, as obviously, if he does well, he could go to Bundesliga. But the team also has to perform. If Rosenborg are mid-table, he is not going to move.

I doubt Metcalfe has that ceiling, as you say, but if you consolidate in top flight Norway, or Sweden, that is a damn good career. I think Metcalfe winning a starting spot on two teams that promoted, and now being in top flight, shows a very consistent, reliable career path. He certainly did not look like anything more than journeyman material when at the Caps.

I am rooting for Metcalfe here because he is forging a pretty decent career for himself despite being very unremarkable technically or physically. He's the type of player I thought would settle into a CPL career but he's doing far better than that at the moment.

If he can somehow earn a Canada cap before it's said and done, it would be a massive success considering the level of player he is.