Patrick Metcalfe

toontownman

18 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Waterman developed and stepped up into a position of weakness, Metcalfe hasn’t done that. 

He's on a bigger club than Brym, with more fans, bigger stadium. Similar budget. Not as good a league, but still.

As soon as Brym went up to top flight Netherlands, on a rather modest team, he was immediately pushed back down.

Weird how we can be so demanding for some players and so soft for others. Adekugbe was playing for us out of top flight Norway, and he was not the first. So if Metcalfe makes the step up, there you are.

• 2 weeks later...

With the win today his club are 6 points clear of Start with two match days remaining. They are also sitting on an 11 GD cushion. In other words, they have nearly clinched promotion and it would take a massive implosion for them to relinquish their spot. I expect next match day the promotion will be official. 

What does that mean for Metcalfe? Hard to say. I haven't watched any of his games, but I see he's played about 800 minutes this season at Stabaek (I think he joined after the season started). He's played 21 matches, starting 8 and coming off the bench in 13, and he's got 1 goal to his name. Seems like he's done enough to stick around in the top flight, but I also don't know what his contract situation is. 

Anyways, positive news for Metcalfe!

Edited by Obinna
correction

56 minutes ago, Obinna said:

With the win today his club are 6 points clear of Start with two match days remaining. They are also sitting on an 11 GD cushion. In other words, they have nearly clinched promotion and it would take a massive implosion for them to relinquish their spot. I expect next match day the promotion will be official. 

What does that mean for Metcalfe? Hard to say. I haven't watched any of his games, but I see he's played about 800 minutes this season at Stabaek (I think he joined after the season started). He's played 21 matches, starting 8 and coming off the bench in 13, and he's got 1 goal to his name. Seems like he's done enough to stick around in the top flight, but I also don't know what his contract situation is. 

Good news is he’s taken a starting role over the last month.

34 minutes ago, jordan said:

Good news is he’s taken a starting role over the last month.

Hadn't been paying close enough attention to notice that trend, so thanks for that. Certainly bodes well for his top-flight chances next year. If he continues as a starter in the top-flight of Norway and Stabaek do decently well, I don't see why he wouldn't be in consideration for a call up. 

On 10/16/2022 at 9:11 PM, Obinna said:

Related, the rest of the teams played today and there's one now in third 5 points back now, KFUM Oslo, which is not sponsored by an American radio station don't think. With 2 matches to play. So they are not directly promoted yet, but have everything in their favour.

Stabaek drew away yesterday and virtually promote to top flight.

Metcalfe played 90 and had a yellow card. As they are 3 points up vs the closest rival and goal difference is the first tie-breaker, with them +16 on the rival, they celebrated the promotion on the field.

Metcalfe is no 18, you can see him in the first seconds of the video in the huddle, tall-ish, dark haired.

https://www.eurosport.no/fotball/obos-ligaen/2022/stabaek-sa-godt-som-klar-for-eliteserien-se-jubelscenene_vid1768129/video.shtml

Related, Julian Dunn is still injured and lost almost the entire season at HamKam. But he is on contract until the end of next season, and it looks like the club will stay in top flight, they are not safe with 3-4 matches to go but have points on their rivals.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The dude was playing 2nd div Norway and people were expecting him for the Bahrain camp? 

Liam Fraser is playing 2nd division Belgium, which is comparable. And I would say his club are better than Fraser's, having won promotion while Fraser's club is headed for relegation. That's not to say I expected Metcalfe, since he hasn't been involved at all, whereas Fraser has been (and has done well). That is more of a reason he wasn't called than the level he plays at, because if it was about club level Fraser over Metcalfe would arguably be a snub.

Dienze are seemingly awful. Staebek are currently and historically a bigger club - maybe not quite where we'd expect our players to be now a days, but a hell of a lot better than Dienze. 

Fraser is included solely on history and familiarity.  Metcalfe has neither of those with our senior program.

There is a big difference between calling the 20th man to our B squad who has played in big games for our program and is truly part of the brotherhood vs someone at the same level with neither of those.  I know for a fact that Fraser is very well liked by many of the regular Nationals especially that TFC core from a few years back.

That's all it is.  Unless the argument is Canada should have brought him as the 22nd man on the roster, there is really no discussion with his exclusion.  The fact we brought 21 was surprising to me considering how cheap we usually are. 

Bringing 21 players for a one off friendly for about 10 players to get some training and minutes under the belt before Qatar is not far off from the number of players we were bringing for 3 World Cup Qualifying games in a week earlier this year.

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Bringing 21 players for a one off friendly for about 10 players to get some training and minutes under the belt before Qatar is not far off from the number of players we were bringing for 3 World Cup Qualifying games in a week earlier this year.

Would that simply be a numbers game for training.  You need that many guys to run the drills and keep things consistent with other camps?  

21 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What kind of role has he been playing lately??  Def mid??  Would he and Fraser be comparable in position??

Not sure, but at Vancouver and the U23s he was more of an 8, which is how we've deployed Fraser for Canada. I don't have any memory of Fraser playing as a single defensive pivot for us. 

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Would that simply be a numbers game for training.  You need that many guys to run the drills and keep things consistent with other camps?  

No, I fully understand the numbers aspect of bringing players.  It's a fairly simple concept that most should understand here, I was just making a point. 

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not sure, but at Vancouver and the U23s he was more of an 8, which is how we've deployed Fraser for Canada. I don't have any memory of Fraser playing as a single defensive pivot for us. 

I havnt seen either one since they left MLS, just wondering if its still a like for like comparison between the 2, or maybe they are in new roles with new clubs.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I havnt seen either one since they left MLS, just wondering if its still a like for like comparison between the 2, or maybe they are in new roles with new clubs.  

Metcalfe was a latter game sub in Vancouver and even had a brief stint starting at wingback.  My memory of him at the two live matches I attended was that he was the guy in pre-game and half time corralling long clearances from the keeper and other players.  Compared to the other guys, I wouldn't describe his first touch as being velcro.