Patrick Metcalfe

toontownman

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bumping this thread. Based on nothing more than getting a few minutes of time in the Whitecaps pre-season game vs Portland today, Metcalfe could be an interesting player to watch. Shows some physical play in central mid and is not easily knocked off the ball. Given how thin the Caps are in midfield, he could work his way into the picture. 

On 2/17/2020 at 3:46 PM, Northvansteve said:

Bumping this thread. Based on nothing more than getting a few minutes of time in the Whitecaps pre-season game vs Portland today, Metcalfe could be an interesting player to watch. Shows some physical play in central mid and is not easily knocked off the ball. Given how thin the Caps are in midfield, he could work his way into the picture. 

I wrote some stuff about him in the VWFC thread in the MLS sub-forum. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with what he can do.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I would think USL or Europe

What's the difference between CPL, USL and the whole of Europe?

Why does it matter that he would choose one over the other?

Is there a thought that one would carve him in to something the others wouldn't as far being a footballer and would it be enough to really matter?

I'll tell you where he should play.. whoever is willing to pay him the most money and or offer the most rewarding personal experience. At his age, he should choose money

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

What's the difference between CPL, USL and the whole of Europe?

Why does it matter that he would choose one over the other?

Is there a thought that one would carve him in to something the others wouldn't as far being a footballer and would it be enough to really matter?

I'll tell you where he should play.. whoever is willing to pay him the most money and or offer the most rewarding personal experience. At his age, he should choose money

You answered your own question…

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Here is the official Tweet. Second division of Norway, but they are a yo-yo club so good chance of going back up.

Norway has been really good to Western Canadian players in particular.

Rob Friend got his big break there, Hirschfeld spent most of his club career in the Eliteserien, Adekugbe found his footing at Valerenga, Simon Thomas probably speaks the language by now, and more recently HamKam letting Bair show his stuff as a pro.

Tam Nsaliwa is the only Western Canadian I can think of who went to Norway and didn't launch their career further.

14 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:
17 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Tam Nsaliwa is the only Western Canadian I can think of who went to Norway and didn't launch their career further.

Wasn't this AFTER he had already played as a regular starter for AEK?  This was at a time when AEK was a top team in a Greek League that was good enough to send 2-3 teams to Champions League.  

Tam had already done good in my books. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Metro said:

Wasn't this AFTER he had already played as a regular starter for AEK?  This was at a time when AEK was a top team in a Greek League that was good enough to send 2-3 teams to Champions League.  

Tam had already done good in my books. 🙂

Yeah I believe it was just a short stint after falling out of favour in Greece. His best days predated his time in Norway

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

Norway has been really good to Western Canadian players in particular.

Rob Friend got his big break there, Hirschfeld spent most of his club career in the Eliteserien, Adekugbe found his footing at Valerenga, Simon Thomas probably speaks the language by now, and more recently HamKam letting Bair show his stuff as a pro.

Is Tam the guy who renounced his Canadian citizenship?

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Here is the official Tweet. Second division of Norway, but they are a yo-yo club so good chance of going back up.

The first tweet says they're in the first division and Wikipedia says they play in the top tier. But you say the second division. I'm confused.

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

The first tweet says they're in the first division and Wikipedia says they play in the top tier. But you say the second division. I'm confused.

Stabaek were in the Eliteserien (top tier) in 2021 but finished 15th and were relegated. The 2021 season ended in December 2, 2021. For the 2022 season they will play in the First Division (second tier) -- the season starts in April, 2022.

11 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

8 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Top League is Eliteserien, 1. Division is technically the 2nd league

image.png.fba4d94cf54a24c372c2e4cb1e6a3343.png

To add Wiki hasn't updated to put them in the second tier, but does have (relegated) beside their league placement in 2021.

Edited by VinceA

@Pottsy3 @Metro @VinceA

Nsaliwa never really played much in Norway, he spent a good chunk of his career in Germany, most notably with  Jahn Regensburg and Saarbrucken, two German clubs who have been good to Canadians. Germany is where he ultimately got his citizenship and dropped his Canadian one, which was a real bummer because he was an excellent player. The highest level he reached was in fact with AEK, who are/were part of the big 3 in Greece. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tam_Nsaliwa

As for Metcalfe, great move!

I was getting worried about this guy and after showing a lot of promise for the U23s (and even getting a CMNT call as a training player). I think this is a great level and club for him to find his feet. I am no expert on Norway, but I think Stabaek has more name recognition than HamKam, who just got promoted. I believe Bob Bradley coached them at one point and Mix Diskerud played for them. At any rate, I think it's a landing spot he can hopefully become a regular at. They'll eventually promote and he could find himself in the top flight before he knows it. From there who knows how far he can go (see Adekugbe).