Canadians abroad: April 21-27, 2017

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for April 21-27, 2017.
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Froese scored again today. 5 goals in the last 5 games for him. Good to see him having success after a tough 2016.

Tough 2016? This is a pretty big step down from  MLS and CCL, is it not? 

Glad to see him doing well though. I've always liked his play. Transfermarkt seems to have him playing as a CF recently.

Chencinski started for Shamrock Rovers in a 4-2 loss to Bray. Rovers went up 1-0 9 minutes in but had a collapse at the end of the first half and gave up three goals in 8 minutes. Can't imagine their manager will last much longer at this rate.

13 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Tough 2016? This is a pretty big step down from  MLS and CCL, is it not? 

Glad to see him doing well though. I've always liked his play. Transfermarkt seems to have him playing as a CF recently.

Definitely, it is a step down from MLS. But given that his development had hit a wall in Vancouver in 2016, I'm glad to see he's having success in Germany.

15 hours ago, shermanator said:

Froese scored again today. 5 goals in the last 5 games for him. Good to see him having success after a tough 2016.

Good to see but I want to see him at least make the bench of the first team before the season is done. 

If you consider Cristante Canadian, he was just subbed on for Atalanta's star player Kessie in the 22nd minute. He must have went down injured.

Leutwiler's Shrewsbury win, and if I am not mistaken, with that they are safe from relegation, or maybe it depends on Port Vale not getting a win vs. Walsall tomorrow, not sure. In any case, they have a match left, and are 6 points ahead of the last relegation spot, with a game in hand.

Just saying as I think it is really important for him to be in L1 and not L2 next year.

ENGLAND

Junior Hoilett stayed on the bench for Cardiff in a 0-0 draw with Wigan.

Tomori stayed on the bench for Brighton yesterday in a 2-0 loss to Norwich.

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Leutwiler's Shrewsbury win, and if I am not mistaken, with that they are safe from relegation

They're aren't technically safe, but it's very improbable they'd be relegated. Shrews would need to lose their last game and Vale would need to win both of theirs AND achieve a GD swing of at least 12, e.g. Shrews lose their game by 4, and then Vale wins both their games by 4; in that case, Shrews would get relegated.

Simeon Jackson stayed on the bench for Walsall in a 1-0 loss to Coventry.

Kris Twardek started and played 65 minutes for Braintree in a 2-0 loss to Barrow.

Gavin McCallum started for Eastbourne in a 2-0 loss to Weston-super-Mare.

POLAND

Milan Borjan started for Korona in a 1-0 loss to Nieciecza in the last game before the split. Tied on points, they JUST manage to make the Championship group thanks to a combination of other results and having more wins in total to win the tiebreak.

SCOTLAND

Luca Gasparotto played 90 minutes for Falkirk in a 2-1 win over Dumferline Athletic. Aird stayed on the bench. Falkirk are sitting 2nd and are guaranteed a promotion playoff spot, but it is now mathematically impossible for them to knock Hibs off the automatic promotion spot.

Calum Ferguson started and played 75 minutes for Albion Rovers in a 1-0 loss to East Fife.

Dario Zanatta started and played 90 minutes for Queen's Park in a 4-0 loss to Livingston. They are still in a four-way tie for 3rd place (3rd/4th qualify for promotion playoff) with two games remaining.

Ricky Gomes started for Arbroath in a 2-1 win over Cowdenbeath. Arbroath have secured a promotion playoff spot but still have a very good shot at first place, trailing by only 1 point with 2 matches remaining.

5 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Tissot is starting for DC United.

Small sample size but reviews seem to have been fairly positive:

[–]New England Revolutionnotstarboard 1 point 2 hours ago 

I've been impressed by Tissot tonight

[–]DC UnitedDC-United1 2 points 2 hours ago 

Ya he has been very good defensively, wish he could bring something on the offensive end though.

13 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Opare is not and will never be eligible for Canada.

Is it the he wasnt eligible (5year residence) before he was 18 thing?  I'm fuzzy on Opare, there was a fair bit of talk about it from him a few years ago.  

Archived