Sign in to follow this  
Toje

Jordan Webb

He has 5 goals in 5 games for Warriors in the Singapore 1st tier so far this season.  Last year he had 12 goals in 22 games for Tampines Rovers. He is 29 years old and started his career with the Toronto Lynx in 2009.  Jordan has played in Singapore for the last 7 years and has been active in trying to get citizenship in Singapore.  Probably was never going to get a look with the Canadian national team, but he has made a decent career for himself.  One article said that he was making $10,000 (Singapore dollars a month), which is about $9,500 Canadian.

Old article about his citizenship application http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/footballer-jordan-webb/2578878.html

He has spent the last 8 seasons in Singapore (181GP, 73G).

At least he has made a decent professional career for himself.  Earlier this summer, he rejected a move to Malaysia, because he still has hopes to represent Singapore.  He now has permanent residency in Singapore.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/football-asia/153/post/3149572/jordan-webb-now-has-pr-still-dreams-of-playing-for-singapore

Edited by Toje

On 10/20/2017 at 9:17 AM, Dicdan said:

he is another one interesting man to play in CanPL... the clubs should look on him !!

He's not Canadian (the moment his S'pore application for citizenship is approved). Singapore absolutely does not allow dual citizenship and has jailed those that try to sneak in another passport ...

Edited by BCM

On 21/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, BCM1555362349 said:

He's not Canadian (the moment his S'pore application for citizenship is approved). Singapore absolutely does not allow dual citizenship and has jailed those that try to sneak in another passport ...

lol how he is not canadian??????

while his dual citizenship is not approved he is still canadian.

17 hours ago, Dicdan said:

lol how he is not canadian??????

while his dual citizenship is not approved he is still canadian.

Got to read carefully, mate - "the moment his S'pore application for citizenship is approved".

That's going to be before CSL, so he'll be just another foreign spot (and we can do better).

On 4/30/2018 at 5:20 AM, nolando said:

Great article updating this long-standing saga -  with some interesting details as well.https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/sg/features/staying-put-singapore-webb-aims-put-citizenship-concerns-aside%3f_format=amp

Very interesting, stunning actually...he's never applied for citizenship because his employer hasn't sponsored him! This counters the assumed fact that he had applied and was waiting, or had been rejected and was re-applying/appealing. This makes it more likely he appears in the CSL, as long as the league pays a decent salary.

I play with him when he comes back home during his offseason..... I asked him if he would play in the CPL, he said they couldn't pay me. 

I do wonder if any team had contacted him. 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I play with him when he comes back home during his offseason..... I asked him if he would play in the CPL, he said they couldn't pay me. 

I do wonder if any team had contacted him. 

While people come to Asia for the money, something's not right here. The S-league doesn't pay very well. He'd get housing and tax rate is max 18% (maybe 16%) but the salaries are low. SGD is around par with Canadian dollar. Below is a figure from a recent(ish) news article, and since the federation hasn't sponsored him for citizenship it means they can't prove he'd be a regular national team contributor. That would likely put his salary around $4-6k a month on a 6 or 9 month contract (note, the average yearly salary in SG is around $70,000). The article also puts team spending on wages at 1.2 million (with 800k of it being a government subsidy!).

"Channel NewsAsia understands that average squad members earn less than S$3,000 a month, while players who regularly feature in the national team can pull in S$5,000 to S$8,000. There are instances where an elite local player can earn up to S$10,000 a month, but the players who Channel NewsAsia spoke to said such cases are rare."

And he's likely not there for the football...

“Honestly, I can’t find a worse word than to describe (the S.League) as a graveyard for footballers. We are just denying the truth, no matter how hard we try. Everybody knows it and you can’t hide it,” said the player, who is on the books of one of the former S.League champions."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/less-than-s-3-000-a-month-and-contract-worries-the-lot-of-the-av-7604810

So maybe it's time to come home to the CPL! I suspect he'd do well.

Edited by BCM

The S-League reminds me a bit of the Hong Kong Premier League; the term "professional" can only be equated with barely making a living while sharing a tiny two bedroom flat with 3 other players.  

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The S-League reminds me a bit of the Hong Kong Premier League; the term "professional" can only be equated with barely making a living while sharing a tiny two bedroom flat with 3 other players.  

.... much like the CPL ;)

Singapore Premier League - March 18th

Jordan Webb kept up his good run of form in 2020, scoring one goal for Tampines Rovers in a 4-0 win over Lion City. He also started and played the entire match.

His goal came in the 78th minute

On 3/4/2019 at 10:55 PM, Toje said:

.... much like the CPL ;)

So Matt lam isn't playing at the same level as in Singapore