What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should see the long list before the 13th. The regulations say that the provisional rosters are due 35 days before the first match, and that they would be published by Concacaf.  35 days prior to July 7 was Friday.  Lists should already be in. Published Monday maybe?

From the TFC website:

"After the 13 June match, Canada Soccer will announce their squad for the CONCACAF Gold Cup in mid June. The 40-man consideration list for the CONCACAF Gold Cup will be announced on 1 June."

Wonder why they didn't announce it Thursday.  The Canada Soccer news piece has the same text, but has been edited to say early June instead of June 1. 

14 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I wonder if the rumour of the national squad trying to cap both Davies and David is true. 

Who's David and OZ has already said Davies doesn't have a passport yet. If he's on the 40 man roster we know he'll be playing for Canada very soon.

edit: Westherspoon, I'm an idiot.

I wonder if they are trying to convince CONCACAF to allow them to include Davies on the long list. Even though he isn't eligible at this moment under the regs they might be arguing that his application for a passport is being processed and might arrive before July 7.

I had originally thought that it would make sense to just burn a couple of provisional spots on players you might not be able to call or who eventually said no in the end (better to have them on the list than not) but the regs say they need to be eligible and you have to provide a passport number. 

It's looking likely that the US and Mexico won't send a single starter to the Gold Cup. Costa Rica is sending a B+ team at best, since Navas and Mattarita aren't even on their 40-man.

If we can beat one on Honduras or Costa Rica in the group stage, all we have is Curacao/Jamacia/El Salvador standing between us and a winnable game against Mexico's B-team to get in the final.

9 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Who's David and OZ has already said Davies doesn't have a passport yet. If he's on the 40 man roster we know he'll be playing for Canada very soon.

edit: Westherspoon, I'm an idiot.

I was also scratching my head too mate.

Archived