What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

I think that we can all agree that the selection of most of our players, but especially our defenders, should be based on their actually form and how much they are playing. Although experience is important, I still think that players who are constantly playing at a good level can help our squad more then someone who is barely seeing the field and not at their peak. The CB position is the most debated upon of them all because that is the weakest position of our squad for the past few years. The biggest and most reliable statistical platform used by professional teams around the world is InstatScout and on there you can see who the best players are at the moment. Here is a picture of the best listed "Canadian" CBs playing at the moment around the world based on their stats from this season.This picture only shows players with an Instat Index greater then 205.  https://ibb.co/iWZu0k This is why I would maybe give Kapor a chance vs. Curacao. Let's see at least what hes got.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bully said:

---------------------Larin-------------Cavallini---------------
-----------------------------Hoilett---------------------------
De Jong--------Hutchinson--------Arfield----------Johnson
-----------James--------Jakovic---------Attakora--------

or maybe a little

----------------------------Larin-----------------------------
Hoilett---------Johnson---------Arfield------------Akindele
-------------------------Hutchinson---------------------
De Jong--------James--------Jakovic----------Ledgerwood

I like the second one.

-----------------------------Larin-----------------------------

-----------------------------Tabla-----------------------------

Hoilett---------------------Arfield---------------------Davies

------------------Hutch--------------Johnson----------------

Edwards------------------James-------------------Ledgerwood

Borjan

Bench: Ricketts, Akindele, Haber, Petrasso, Bernier, Wotherspoon, Chapman, Jakovic, Kapor, De Jong, Leutwiler, Crepeau

1 hour ago, ThiKu said:

@Arfieldfan7 - your line-ups are fun but ill-advised. Hutch is retiring no? Davies and Table are too young - bring them off the bench. Start them in a "meaningless" game if we have one. Edwards-James-Ledgerwood as a back 3? Have you lost your mind?

If you're questioning him. ...you got question @BrennanFan @NVsoccer for agreeing/liking.

I'm in the start Tabla category, too. And I give Edwards the first shot at left back. If he can earn it in camp and Curacao, it's his for the time being. 

FW: Larin, Cavallini 

MF: Tabla, Johnson, Arfield, Hoilett

DF: Edwards, James, Someone, Cordova

GK: Borjan

I believe in starting Tabla....just not Davies.

And whats with putting Raheem at LB. In his professional career he has never played there.

He's a winger/foward/midfielder in that order fellas.

LWB is a completely different position then LB, and it's dependent on the system we play.

If you're in the start Tabla camp you should be in the start Cristante and Fernandes camp too because none of them are coming to this tournament 

Left back is my biggest worry for us if Hoilett is on the left wing. Him and De Jong together would be a disaster and I don't think Edwards at left back is getting the most of him. I really think 3 5 2 is the way to go for us. 

44 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I believe in starting Tabla....just not Davies.

And whats with putting Raheem at LB. In his professional career he has never played there.

He's a winger/foward/midfielder in that order fellas.

LWB is a completely different position then LB, and it's dependent on the system we play.

Actually Edwards played a number of games at LB for TFC II. 

In 2015, Edwards started his professional career at LB and Mark Anthony Kaye played at LM in a diamond formation. Those roles switched to Kaye at LB and Edwards at LM. It's probably the reason why Kaye left TFC because of Edwards' emergence in his preferred position. He also played a bit in 2016 as well most notably in the Canadian Championship final and filling in late in games.

28 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Actually Edwards played a number of games at LB for TFC II. 

In 2015, Edwards started his professional career at LB and Mark Anthony Kaye played at LM in a diamond formation. Those roles switched to Kaye at LB and Edwards at LM. It's probably the reason why Kaye left TFC because of Edwards' emergence in his preferred position. He also played a bit in 2016 as well most notably in the Canadian Championship final and filling in late in games.

Ok he played a few games there....but is that where he made his "name"...No.

He played there because Kaye at the time was suppose to be the better prospect.

His talent/skillset/preferred position has nothing to do with being a traditional LB....especially for Canada.

41 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Ok he played a few games there....but is that where he made his "name"...No.

He played there because Kaye at the time was suppose to be the better prospect.

His talent/skillset/preferred position has nothing to do with being a traditional LB....especially for Canada.

Traditional full back is relative term these days. Graham Zusi, Joevin Jones, DeMarcus Beasley, Mattarita are very similar players to Edwards. He's is actually a better one vs. one defender than most of those mentioned above. 

In all cases, the team compensates by shifting their defensive mids or playing them with a defensively responsible wide midfielder. Someone like Arfield would be a good foil for him.

7 hours ago, One American said:

I'm in the start Tabla category, too. And I give Edwards the first shot at left back. If he can earn it in camp and Curacao, it's his for the time being. 

FW: Larin, Cavallini 

MF: Tabla, Johnson, Arfield, Hoilett

DF: Edwards, James, Someone, Cordova

GK: Borjan

If Hutch joins us...perhaps slide Johnson to RB, Cordova at LB. Edwards should see the field as well

Edwards at LB is probably better than Aird at RB - but that's not saying much. There's this idea that you can simply slot in a left or right mid into left or right fullback and everything will work itself out. As we saw with the Aird experiment at RB, the transition to defense is actually quite difficult and not every speedy wide player can simply be moved back. I've never seen Edwards at left back and have no idea if he's any good there but there's another reason to not put him there: it's a waste of his offensive talents. This guy is creating chances by the bucket load from a left mid position - don't we need that offense? Don't we need someone who can get Larin the ball?

10 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Edwards at LB is probably better than Aird at RB - but that's not saying much. There's this idea that you can simply slot in a left or right mid into left or right fullback and everything will work itself out. As we saw with the Aird experiment at RB, the transition to defense is actually quite difficult and not every speedy wide player can simply be moved back. I've never seen Edwards at left back and have no idea if he's any good there but there's another reason to not put him there: it's a waste of his offensive talents. This guy is creating chances by the bucket load from a left mid position - don't we need that offense? Don't we need someone who can get Larin the ball?

Why can't Edwards provide service from LB? I don't think we need to play him at LM for Larin to get that service. 

I think Hoilett at LM cutting inside is perfect for Edwards playing LB, overlapping and whipping in dangerous crosses. I know he hasn't played much LB, but I don't think that's reason not to try him there. His position may need work but he has the recovery speed to get back into position, so I'm not worried.

By the way, I don't think Aird was / is a disaster at RB. I think he is serviceable there despite his short comings defensively. I would much prefer him playing in midfield because his offensive talent warrants it. I like Juan Cordova at RB if we are experimenting with offense full backs. Anything that lends itself to more offense I support.

@ThiKu For my lineup, I tried to put the best 11 we have (with the exception of Ledgerwood). I would be open to a back four of james and henry/edgar at cb when healthy and edwards and cordova as lb and rb. I believe Edwards can play the lb position very well if tried. If hutch retires for this tournament I would start bernier in that slot or play a two striker lineup. If Cavallini commits we should see how he would pair with Larin. I would give consideration to Aird but he isn't even starting for Falkirk. Ferreira would be a big boost for the lineup if he could commit.

Put the Edwards at Lb for the friendly. If he excels at this position (which i wouldn't put money on) than start him against French Guiana

24 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Put the Edwards at Lb for the friendly. If he excels at this position (which i wouldn't put money on) than start him against French Guiana

I wouldn't bet against him right now, the kid is full of confidence and playing well, it's no coincidence that TFC's match improved last night when he came in, he was playing in the midfield however!

33 minutes ago, gator said:

I wouldn't bet against him right now, the kid is full of confidence and playing well, it's no coincidence that TFC's match improved last night when he came in, he was playing in the midfield however!

Which is my point

3 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Which is my point

And my point is why do we think putting him further back is going to bring the same results? And why are we putting a player who is in form outta of potion? 

He's lethal right now whenever in a 1v1 situation in the offensive third. It's almost a guaranteed beat.

Putting him further back doesn't allow him to be most effective. His skillset will be undercompensated for having to overlap get forward and track back. Meaning burn him out faster.

Id only want to experiment to see him at LB if Hoilett is in front of him. As per @Obinna mention.

But even still I think Hoilett needs to play further up the pitch (as in not LM) and be absent the tracking back responsibilities to create a potential lethal partnership with Larin up top.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Why can't Edwards provide service from LB? I don't think we need to play him at LM for Larin to get that service. 

I think Hoilett at LM cutting inside is perfect for Edwards playing LB, overlapping and whipping in dangerous crosses. I know he hasn't played much LB, but I don't think that's reason not to try him there. His position may need work but he has the recovery speed to get back into position, so I'm not worried.

By the way, I don't think Aird was / is a disaster at RB. I think he is serviceable there despite his short comings defensively. I would much prefer him playing in midfield because his offensive talent warrants it. I like Juan Cordova at RB if we are experimenting with offense full backs. Anything that lends itself to more offense I support.

Agree with you entirely - including your comment on Aird. My point is that it's not as easy or automatic a transition as some think.

I get that it's not exactly the position Edwards plays. But I also recognize that Hoilett is ahead of him at left mid, and one of Tabla or Davies are likely will to be there in the future.  And going 3-5-2 would mean subbing out a midefielder for a weaker player in central defense.  

On USMNT boards, I have this debate all the time about Kellyn Acosta playing central midfield vs. left back. That's his best position. Great. Who do you start him ahead of, now and in the future? People vehemently complained when Klinsmann put him out at left back. But that was a position he could earn, get on the field and help out the team. 

Archived