What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Gator I was thinking something similar.

We suddenly seem blessed with all kinds of attacking players.

Wingbacks and 2 strikers upfront would make other teams adapt to us.

There's something to be said for TFC's 3-5-2 formation.  It floods the midfield and doesn't isolate a single striker.  

Larin and Hoilett upfront with Ricketts as a supersub would look good.  Certainly both are super dangerous.

Edwards and Wootherspoon are also dangerous out wide in space.  Aird could also be a super sub there

A central midfield of Arfield, Johnson and Osorio is certainly pretty strong (Assuming Hutch is done).

At the back we could then play 3 CB's.  It's Pretty weak back there right now but Attakora, Oiumette, Jakovic and Straith are all regular starters and James continues to get PT.  There's at least a core we can use.

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

@Gator I was thinking something similar.

We suddenly seem blessed with all kinds of attacking players.

Wingbacks and 2 strikers upfront would make other teams adapt to us.

There's something to be said for TFC's 3-5-2 formation.  It floods the midfield and doesn't isolate a single striker.  

Larin and Hoilett upfront with Ricketts as a supersub would look good.  Certainly both are super dangerous.

Edwards and Wootherspoon are also dangerous out wide in space.  Aird could also be a super sub there

A central midfield of Arfield, Johnson and Osorio is certainly pretty strong (Assuming Hutch is done).

At the back we could then play 3 CB's.  It's Pretty weak back there right now but Attakora, Oiumette, Jakovic and Straith are all regular starters and James continues to get PT.  There's at least a core we can use.

I like all of this a lot. CB is the clear weak spot, I'd assume that the 3 could be James, Vitoria and Straith. I'd like to see Wotherspoon play first, and wouldn't mind Aird starting at the RWB spot instead.

I've said it before...but somehow, someway we need to play with two strikers.....and considering we aren't blessed with  a plethora of proven defenders 3-5-2 is looking like out best formation. Based on current form, here's the lineup we need to try. 

-----------------------------Larin-----------------Hoilett(Ricketts)---------------

--------------------------------------Tabla(Hoilett)--------------------------------

Edwards--------------Arfield-------------------Johnson(Hutchinson)-----Aird

----------------Kapor-----------Vitoria or Jakovic-----------James--------

--------------------------------------Borjan-------------------------------------

- If Tabla says no, switch Hoilett in and put Ricketts up top with Larin. 

- Vitoria or Jakovic is solely based on leadership. 

- If Hutchinson is available, Johnson goes to the bench.

Realizing how that hit and run cunt has truly messed us up with Edgar being out. If he was healthy, we suddenly have a legit backline for 3-5-2.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Maybe aird...but Tabla offers something completely different then what Johnson does.

Exactly. Its either Aird or Tabla in the starting 11. Johnson deserves to be fitted in the team. Aird struggles to make the 11 of a scottish d2 team who had one good game

6 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Exactly. Its either Aird or Tabla in the starting 11. Johnson deserves to be fitted in the team. Aird struggles to make the 11 of a scottish d2 team who had one good game

I hear you...but it was a really good game.

All in all we need an engine on the flank who can get service into the middle. 

12 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

At this point I think our best central midfield is Arfield, Johnson, Osorio (assuming no Hutch).  Tabla and Davies certainly offer unique skill sets for us but they're not ready to be regular starters for us.

exactly.

-----------------------------Larin-----------------Hoilett/Akindele---------------

------------------------------------Chapman/Tabla----------------------------------

Edwards--------------Arfield-------------------Johnson/Hutchinson-----Davies

----------------Kapor/DeJong-----------Vitoria/Jakovic-----------James--------

--------------------------------------Borjan/Thomas-------------------------------------

I find it hilarious how people are trying to fit the 3 youths into the starting 11 and let Johnson ride the bench

If they haven't made their senior team debut, I wouldn't expect them to start in the gold cup. Not just the youth, but this also goes for kapor and probably cordova. Of course, this can change if they're called in against curaçao and prove themselves.

6 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I find it hilarious how people are trying to fit the 3 youths into the starting 11 and let Johnson ride the bench

The thing about Johnson is that he's not better than Arfield (at least in my opinion) or Hutchinson (in everyones opinion) and he's arguably neck-and-neck with Osorio.

I can understand the eagerness to select someone like Tabla as a starter, since we struggle to create chances. If you want to insert an attacking player, are you going to pick Johnson or Tabla?

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

If they haven't made their senior team debut, I wouldn't expect them to start in the gold cup. Not just the youth, but this also goes for kapor and probably cordova. Of course, this can change if they're called in against curaçao and prove themselves.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The thing about Johnson is that he's not better than Arfield (at least in my opinion) or Hutchinson (in everyones opinion) and he's arguably neck-and-neck with Osorio.

I can understand the eagerness to select someone like Tabla as a starter, since we struggle to create chances. If you want to insert an attacking player, are you going to pick Johnson or Tabla?

Johnson is by far better than Osorio this season. And sure you can put Tabla up there but just slot Arfield on the right and but Johnson in the center. Davies shouldn't be in the 11

Cordova was on the Best XI in a major SA country and will up to the first division next year. He apparently was one of the most impressive players, maybe the top, in the most recent U23 camp. Would you rather start Ledgerwood? Or who?  

I mean, why stick with what hasn't been working for years? 

I'm wondering if Thomas gets called. He has lost his starting role in 2nd Div Norway. Maybe you call up Tomer instead. he starts every game and his team will be playing Europa League. i appreciate that the Irish Premier league isn't exactly top notch (I watched about 10 minutes of one of his games the other day and it did not look awesome) but he is playing consistently and also playing well. We no longer call up guys from unattached fc I think we should try and move to calling fewer guys from Ridingthebench FC. which might also leave Vitoria out too.. he hasn't seen a starting line up since Christmas. 

44 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Johnson is by far better than Osorio this season. And sure you can put Tabla up there but just slot Arfield on the right and but Johnson in the center. Davies shouldn't be in the 11

No argument there from me. I trust Arfield in the middle more than Johnson though, fwiw.

---------------------Larin-------------Cavallini---------------
-----------------------------Hoilett---------------------------
De Jong--------Hutchinson--------Arfield----------Johnson
-----------James--------Jakovic---------Attakora--------

or maybe a little

----------------------------Larin-----------------------------
Hoilett---------Johnson---------Arfield------------Akindele
-------------------------Hutchinson---------------------
De Jong--------James--------Jakovic----------Ledgerwood

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Yea the Davies wave has been quietly settling....he hasn't been saying much recently. 

Tabla plays over Osorio right now on the fact that he's currently playing better than Osorio and that "were begging him to play". 

Archived