What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

And if he brings Davies, Tabla, Wotherspoon, Edwards and Aleman, Chapman etc (guys fans want to see there) how does he get them all into games??  He would have to leave, Hutch, Hoilet, Arfield, Johnson, Peitte and Osorio at home.  SOME experimenting means working into the program 3-4 guys in camp that are new, with not all of those guys seeing the field.  

I think Hutch is done so he stays home. Hoilet and Arfield are essential players for the next several years so only injury will bench them.

I think he goes crazy with experiment post-Gold Cup. He'll be looking to build a core 30 that'll include Latin bloc of Cavallini, Aleman and Cordova and a sort of select side of 15-20 MLS/CPL guys and 10 or so guys playing in European tier 1 or 2 guys that he can rely on for the Nations League. But again this is post-Gold Cup, at the event I think he limits himself.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Aird is in the same boat as Aleman, not a guy most would pencil in as a starter when everyone is available, but might be a sub depending on the situation. And I would put Haber and RIckets above Cavallini.  Maybe Zambrano wants to see AJH, or even Kacher with Colorado springs if we really want to reach.   

Both Aird and Aleman are  super subs but Aleman Is fighting for minutes in a much bigger team and More people are picking Aird anyway due to the Scotland game. Cavallini is a much better striker in general but Ricketts would do better as a strike partner with Larin.

Just now, badname22 said:

Both Aird and Aleman are  super subs but Aleman Is fighting for minutes in a much bigger team and More people are picking Aird anyway due to the Scotland game. Cavallini is a much better striker in general but Ricketts would do better as a strike partner with Larin.

Out of curiosity, how many full matches of Aleman and Cavallini have you watch in the past six months?

55 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Aleman would bench Aird hands down. The Last time  Aird started a game for Falkirk was March 31.

Cavallini and Larin are our best strikers but those two up top wouldn't have much pace and would likely fail.

Aleman and Aird play different positions first off.  Second, Aird is coming off a MotM performance against Scotland.. whereas Aleman didn't even stand out for our U23s in Qatar.  And he hasn't exactly been playing either.. for a moment there it looked like he was in with a shot of making the Gold Cup team but with his lack of appearances and emergence of more competition he's too far down the pecking order now.  

Also Larin is one of the fastest strikers in MLS so definitely won't be short of pace.  

It's nice seeing how different opinions are with our players at the moment and shows how much depth we're building.

FWIW I don't think we're going to see Tabla or Davies at the Gold Cup.  I think it would be huge to have both and we should have both but who knows what's going on with Davies citizenship and it's unlikely Tabla commits to us anytime soon.

I also don't see Piette on a lot of lists.. I think it's pretty clear that he's a mainstay for the MNT right now I can't see him being left out.

Here is my 30 man preliminary roster

GK: Borjan, Leutwiler, Thomas

D: James, Vitoria, Attakora, Straith, Ledgerwood, Jakovic, De Jong 

M: Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett, Johnson, Piette, Edwards, Aird, Wotherspoon, Bernier 

F: Larin, Akindele, Haber, Ricketts

Fringe: Stamatopolous, Ouimette, Tissot, Teibert, Osorio, Cavallini, Chapman

We definitely have a ton of depth this time around.. even with that 30 man roster there are a ton of guys left off: Crepeau, Irving, Corbin-Ong, Gasparotto, Petrasso, Lefevre, Jackson-Hamel, Cordova, Aleman, Jackson, Fisk, Bustos, Dixon, Bekker, Hume, Hamilton, Adekugbe, Froese, OCCEAN.. (and still the wild cards of Tabla and Davies)

There's by my count 50+ guys who we could see named to this roster.  

We need to have a good squad, I just have this fear that somehow we're going to see Aparicio, Pasher and Morgan called because it's Canada Soccer and we never seem to get anything close to an A squad.  

33 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Larin, Haber, Jackson-Hamel

Hoilett, Aird, Edwards, Akindele, Ricketts

Arfield, Piette, Osorio, Teibert, Bernier, Johnson

Corbin-Ong, deJong, James, Vitoria, Straith, Ledgerwood

Borjan, Leutwiler, Crepeau

Swap out Crepeau for Thomas and I think this is a pretty good guess at the lineup barring injuries.

Personally, I would love to see Gasparotto in place of Vitoria given that he's been the CB playing the most this past year, but I don't think that'll happen.

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Aleman and Aird play different positions first off.  Second, Aird is coming off a MotM performance against Scotland.. whereas Aleman didn't even stand out for our U23s in Qatar.  And he hasn't exactly been playing either.. for a moment there it looked like he was in with a shot of making the Gold Cup team but with his lack of appearances and emergence of more competition he's too far down the pecking order now.  

.Both Aird and Aleman have played on the right side at club level albeit with different playing styles. Aleman got  injured during the first game with the U23 and didn't have the time to show  his ability

1 minute ago, badname22 said:

.Both Aird and Aleman have played on the right side at club level albeit with different playing styles. Aleman got  injured during the first game with the U23 and didn't have the time to show  his ability

Aleman hasn't had a good performance with Canada at any level since the U17s in 2011 and hasn't been playing with Saprissa.  I think he would have probably got called to the match in June if he was playing but I doubt he's going to get that chance now, just too much competition.  

4 hours ago, canuck_footy13 said:

https://goo.gl/photos/qZdRd9f3EjPW4pSJ8

Would love to see two strikers up top and seems that haber is seeing a good string of run-outs of late. Chapman probably the most creative player we have.. brilliant for Tfc on the weekend.. the right side is a bit of a toss up - could be ricketts or arfield but hopefully we get tabla capped.

Fuck Arfield eh

45 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I also don't see Piette on a lot of lists.. I think it's pretty clear that he's a mainstay for the MNT right now I can't see him being left out.

Liked your whole post but Piette was only a main stay because Floro made him one. I see him as a fringe player

2 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Liked your whole post but Piette was only a main stay because Floro made him one. I see him as a fringe player

Not true though, Piette was first called by Hart to WCQ at 17 then he was a mainstay during Colin Miller's time as interim manager at 18 and now Findlay has used him ever since he took charge.  

The guy is 22 and has been used by every Canadian manager he's played under.. 30 caps to date.  Clearly he's rated.. who knows though?  Maybe Zambrano thinks otherwise.  

4 minutes ago, badname22 said:

so are you saying a 2 up top formation would work?

I think if we played like TFC do in a 3-5-2/5-3-2, definitely but we're most likely going to play a 4-5-1/4-3-3 

Exactly Zambrano might think otherwise. Piette showed a lot of potential when he was younger but now he is playing in the lower leagues of Spain. He might not rate him. We'll see

I thought Piette was fantastic against Scotland in defensive midfield. He was fantastic in breaking up the attack and he didn't have to worry about moving the ball forward by linking up with Arfield in midfield. 

If used correctly, I think he can be a big asset to the national team for years. He was rarely used in the defensive mid role during Floro's tenure, and as such, didn't look good.

43 minutes ago, shermanator said:

If used correctly, I think he can be a big asset to the national team for years. He was rarely used in the defensive mid role during Floro's tenure, and as such, didn't look good.

While he did have a good game against Scotland, but to say he rarely played defensive mid under Floro is bs.

He played it with the U23's, and the CMNT team on multiple occasions....if he wasn't then what position was he playing?

3 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

I predict many will select a newly capped Canadian to this roster following transfer news to be announced next week! Stay tune : )

A newly capped Canadian? Wouldn't the last Canadian capped be Arfield? is he transferring clubs?

Or are you talking about a player who has yet to represent Canada who will be capped?

Either way, if you can't mention it online and this is just a tease it's kind of shitty.

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

I thought Piette was fantastic against Scotland in defensive midfield. He was fantastic in breaking up the attack and he didn't have to worry about moving the ball forward by linking up with Arfield in midfield. 

This.

9 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

I predict many will select a newly capped Canadian to this roster following transfer news to be announced next week! Stay tune : )

I'm guessing this Juan Cordova or Corbin-ong 

Archived