Teibert 

Osorio 

Vitoria 

Tissot 

Dixon

DeJong 

Leutwiler 

canada (2).jpg

I like the front 6 but definitely not the backline. 

James might be worthy of his spot, but I am not sold on Attakora yet in a starting role. I think we need to go with Straith there. Not enough experience between James and Attakora i'm afraid.

Corbin Ong I really like, but i'd like to see him again before I throw him into a starting role. He does have a golden opportunity though, with Tissot and De Jong not getting MLS games and Morgan and Adekugbe out of action. I think Raheem Edwards is the wild card and may be more match fit come GC time.

Johnson I think can cover at RB, but given his lack of time there recently with Orlando, I no longer think this is the best option. If he was playing week-in and week-out with Orlando at right back, I would personally consider him to be number one in the pecking order. As it were though, I think Ledgerwood and his experience at RB for Canada is the safest bet, especially on a backline that's potentially missing both Edgar (injury) and de Jong (lack of game time).

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 23 man roster:

Goalkeepers:

Milan Borjan
Simon Thomas
Jayson  Leutwiller

Defence:

Steven Vitoria
Manjekar James
Nana Attakora
Marcel De Jong
Fraser Aird
Dejan Jakovic
Juan Cordova

Midfielders:

Atiba Hutchinson
Patrice Bernier
Will Johnson
Scott Arfield
Adam Straith
Junior Hoilett
Ballou Tabla
Raheem Edwards

Forwards:

Cyle Larin
Tesho Akindele
Lucas Cavalini
Marcus Haber
Tosaint Ricketts

Potential Starting IX:

--------------------Larin------------------

Hoilett -------Tabla--------Arfield

----Hutchinson---Johnson------

De Jong--James-Vitoria---Aird

-------------------Borjan------------------

2 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

My 23 man roster:

Goalkeepers:

Milan Borjan
Simon Thomas
Jayson  Leutwiller

Defence:

Steven Vitoria
Manjekar James
Nana Attakora
Marcel De Jong
Fraser Aird
Dejan Jakovic
Juan Cordova

Midfielders:

Atiba Hutchinson
Patrice Bernier
Will Johnson
Scott Arfield
Adam Straith
Junior Hoilett
Ballou Tabla
Raheem Edwards

Forwards:

Cyle Larin
Tesho Akindele
Lucas Cavalini
Marcus Haber
Tosaint Ricketts

Potential Starting IX:

--------------------Larin------------------

Hoilett -------Tabla--------Arfield

----Hutchinson---Johnson------

De Jong--James-Vitoria---Aird

-------------------Borjan------------------

I was just writing my own line up, but it would have been extremely close to this anyways. Really like the choices here. Very strong looking squad. I would be thrilled if this was our selection on opening day.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think we need to go with Straith there. Not enough experience between James and Attakora i'm afraid.

What's experience to a loser?

Straith is a hell no for me at CB, especially partnered with James who is a better option if you're pickin either or. Maybe at CDM, but definitely not CB. He's time after time shown he's slow and easily beaten. 

3 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

What's experience to a loser?

Straith is a hell no for me at CB, especially partnered with James who is a better option if you're pickin either or. Maybe at CDM, but definitely not CB. He's time after time shown he's slow and easily beaten. 

I think Vitoria is the better choice to be honest (over Straith), completely forgot about him when I wrote that.

However, if it came down to Straith versus Attakora, I think we'd have to go with Straith. I trust him more than Attakora for numerous reasons.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Vitoria is the better choice to be honest, completely forgot about him when I wrote that.

However, if it came down to Straith versus Attakora, I think we'd have to go with Straith. I trust him more than Attakora for numerous reasons.

Even Jackovic....I've stated that Straith and (although younger) Piette, have had plenty of caps to show they belong or deserve the automatic call ups that they have seemed to receive. But have continted to fail on the real stages.

My 23 man roster:

Goalkeepers:

Milan Borjan
Simon Thomas
Jayson  Leutwiller

Defence:

Manjekar James
Nana Attakora
Marcel De Jong
Corbin-Ong
Dejan Jakovic
Jamar Dixon 
Steven Vitoria 

Midfielders:

Atiba Hutchinson
Jonathan Osorio 
Will Johnson
Scott Arfield
Fraser Aird 
Junior Hoilett
Ballou Tabla
Raheem Edwards

Forwards:

Cyle Larin
Tesho Akindele
Alphonso Davies 
Marcus Haber
Tosaint Ricketts

( I would like to include Lucas Cavallini, Samuel Piette & russel teibert but there is no room )

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Vitoria hasn't been in the 18 of Gdansk in 3 months but is fully match fit to be in a gc 23 and even starting 11...funny stuff

Hasn't stopped him from starting for Canada in the past. Club time has always been an issue for him, but still the coaching staff has used him often. That's probably a testament to his quality.

17 minutes ago, canuck_footy13 said:

https://goo.gl/photos/qZdRd9f3EjPW4pSJ8

Would love to see two strikers up top and seems that haber is seeing a good string of run-outs of late. Chapman probably the most creative player we have.. brilliant for Tfc on the weekend.. the right side is a bit of a toss up - could be ricketts or arfield but hopefully we get tabla capped.

I would love to see two strikers too....just not Haber nor Ricketts. I'm tired of seeing those guys and expectating something miraculously different to happen. They too me are both late game options, that only provide 1 asset per man. Aerial and speed for chasing a game.

While Chapman surprised me on the weekend, I now think he's battling with Osorio for a position on both club and international...however I don't see him as a starter even if Tabla is an option.

...Oh yeah and welcome to the Canadian soccer supporters forum!

Thanks! Pumped for the new CanPL and to see the next big moment in Canadian footy... another result in Gold Cup/qualifying for and scoring in a world cup!

I feel that Chapman has better speed of play than Osorio which is why I slotted him in the starting XI... he seems to not be too one-dimensional and can provide much needed service for Larin and whoever striker #2 ends up being...

G(3): Thomas, Leutwiller, Crepeau

D(7): James, Straith, Tissot, Attakora, de Jong, Jakovic, Ledgerwood

M(9): Arfield, Hoilett, Osorio, Edwards, Tabla, Wotherspoon*, Aird, Johnson, Teibert

F(4): Larin, Akindele, Ricketts, Jackson-Hamel

I went with guys who are playing often atm so that's why some expected names are not here. Pretty sure Tabla is going pick Canada very soon and Wotherspoon will be cleared to play for Canada. I don't think Borjan will be there, just a feeling. Davies and Cordova won't be able to play for Canada's senior team yet.

X Factors that are non-injury

Cristante if he isn't called to Italy U23 and jumps to Canada will replace Aird

The Gold Cup is more experimental and OZ wants to focus on the MLS and NASL to see his players

Larin refuses so he can rest prior to a European transfer

My idiotic suspision that Alex Bono has a Canadian parent or grandparent turns out to be true

1 hour ago, matty said:

I went with guys who are playing often atm so that's why some expected names are not here. Pretty Tabla is going pick Canada very soon and Wotherspoon will be cleared to play for Canada. I don't think Borjan will be there, just a feeling. Davies and Cordova won't be able to play for Canada's senior team yet.

Is this his new nickname? I hadn't heard.

Based on nothing (aside from a tweet some time ago which sowed a picture of Zambrano meeting Cavallini in Uruguay) I think Cavallini is in the squad.

Also does Aleman get called as a role player if we are thinking of players who are  exposed to Central American football on a regular basis.

6 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Based on nothing (aside from a tweet some time ago which sowed a picture of Zambrano meeting Cavallini in Uruguay) I think Cavallini is in the squad.

Also does Aleman get called as a role player if we are thinking of players who are  exposed to Central American football on a regular basis.

I'm curious about both those guys too but I think OZ is going to take a lot of input from Findlay on this selection and I don't see that resulting in too much of a change from Findlay's recent picks

30 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I feel like both players are starting quality

Just now, badname22 said:

I fell like both players are starting quality

Lets play the old "who would sit" if Aleman starts.  Hmmmmm....alot of the above lists dont even have Aleman in the squad.  Personally I think it would be nice to have him there, but he might not see the pitch.

Cavallini is closer to a starter I guess, but only because we are so thin up top.  But if AJH keeps playing and scoring Zambrano might just leave Cavallini and his baggage in South America.  He did say he wants to experiment though, so who knows??  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Cavallini is closer to a starter I guess, but only because we are so thin up top.  But if AJH keeps playing and scoring Zambrano might just leave Cavallini and his baggage in South America.  He did say he wants to experiment though, so who knows??  

That's my thought too. He can't go crazy cause it's a major event but he still should be getting a look at people. Besides Tabla, Edwards and maybe Davies there's also Wotherspoon and the matter of AJH becoming a breakout star. Bringing 4 or all 5 might be all the experimenting he can do for the Gold Cup.

Just now, Bison44 said:

Lets play the old "who would sit" if Aleman starts.  Hmmmmm....alot of the above lists dont even have Aleman in the squad.  Personally I think it would be nice to have him there, but he might not see the pitch.

Aleman would bench Aird hands down. The Last time  Aird started a game for Falkirk was March 31.

Cavallini and Larin are our best strikers but those two up top wouldn't have much pace and would likely fail.

And if he brings Davies, Tabla, Wotherspoon, Edwards and Aleman, Chapman etc (guys fans want to see there) how does he get them all into games??  He would have to leave, Hutch, Hoilet, Arfield, Johnson, Peitte and Osorio at home.  SOME experimenting means working into the program 3-4 guys in camp that are new, with not all of those guys seeing the field.  

4 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Aleman would bench Aird hands down. The Last time  Aird started a game for Falkirk was March 31.

Cavallini and Larin are our best strikers but those two up top wouldn't have much pace and would likely fail.

Aird is in the same boat as Aleman, not a guy most would pencil in as a starter when everyone is available, but might be a sub depending on the situation. And I would put Haber and RIckets above Cavallini.  Maybe Zambrano wants to see AJH, or even Kacher with Colorado springs if we really want to reach.   

Archived