What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

I'm taking into account the rules from 2 years ago. I would expect something similar for roster rules and selection

The Gold Cup is a team of 23, including 3 goalkeepers. Teams will have a shortlist of 35 submitted 1 month before the tournament  and the final list of 23 1 week before the tournament. After the first round, teams that qualify can change up to 6 players. Those 6 would be among the 12 not picked from the list of 35 and would replace other players who were on the initial roster. 

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, badname22 said:

Since than Aird has become a benchwarmer for Falkirk so  I don't think he should be anything more than a 3rd choice RM

Aird has not become a benchwarmer. He was on the bench for 1 game and came in as a substitute in their most recent game. Previous to that he was a steady starter. It is also pretty clear to see why his playing time has reduced in the last TWO games. Falkirk is out of reach of the automatic promotion spot but have enough points to be in the promotion playoffs, ie. these are meaningless games for them. Aird's contract is over at the end of season and he is very unlikely to come back to them barring promotion (which the club may not even want for financial reasons) so they are giving some playing time to players they will have next season. This is no reflection on his abilities and he should definitely be called for the Gold Cup given his performance against Scotland.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

-----------Larin------------

Hoilett----Osorio-----Arfield

----Johnson--Hutchinson----

Edwards--James-Attakora--Aird

----------Borjan--------

A couple changes for me.

I like Arfield on the right and I think Raheem Edwards and Aird should assume the FB roles going forward now.  

Also with James and  Attakora's play they are our most in form CBs and deserve the start.

Both of the "fullbacks" play in attacking roles and we will be letting goals in like crazy. 

-----------------Larin-----------------

Hoilett---------Arfield----------Aird

----Johnson-----------Hutchinson----

De Jong--James--Attakora--Ouimette

----------------Borjan------------------

I've always liked Ouimette when he plays for Canada and he's finally found a decent level where he gets frequent starts. Him and attakora are starting at the same level as Jakovic, Straith and Ledgerwood and seem to be having a fine start. There chemistry is going to continue to develop which may make them a fine option.

I assumed that Tabla and Davies won't be there, but if they are I think that at least one of them should start in place of Aird. I like Arfield but I don't think he has the pace to play him out wide. Fraser is creative and fast, which is why I gave him that right wing spot. I could see Ricketts starting there instead but he's just so much better at striker.

Bench: Thomas, Leutwiler, Vitoria, Straith, Tissot, Ledgerwood, Osorio, Piette, Bustos, Ricketts, Akindele, Haber

------------Larin---------Ricketts--------------

Hoilett-----------------------------------Tesho

----------Arfield---------Johnson-------------

De Jong-------------------------Ledgerwood

---------Straith-----------James---------------

--------------------Borjan-----------------------

Larin ---- Hoilett

Davies-----------Tabla

Arfield-Hutch

Cordoba-CB--CB--Johnson

Borjan

B: Tesho, RIcketts, Jackson-Hamel, Spoon, Osorio, Teibert, Aird, Edwards, Fraser, Stanese, CB, Thomas, Leutwiler

James would of course take up one of the CB spots. One CB will go to a newcomer, Sadiki, Didic, etc.  

Fill out the center backs, add Cristante, then see whichever flank defenders emerge, and you start to see the outline of the pool going forward to 2020. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of changes from the recent rosters. im not going to assume Zambrano calls the same roster as Floro. Sure, there are a handful of automatic choices, but after that handful there is a lot of parity in our pool and I wouldn't be surprised if Zambrano goes in different direction than Floro.

21 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Aird was our best player in Scotland so he needs to be in the mix.  It would be great if Zambrano could impress upon Hutch of the importance of showing up and helping Canada one last time.  Also Zambrano needs to put some pressure on Tabla and get him to commit to the squad.  Finally as mentioned above we need to pick guys who are actually getting minutes and playing meaningful games.

Zambrano said in a interview last week that he is going to talk to Tabla and explain to him why Canada is his best option (don't remember where I heard the interview) things like he grew up here etc.

5 hours ago, One American said:

Larin ---- Hoilett

Davies-----------Tabla

Arfield-Hutch

Cordoba-CB--CB--Johnson

Borjan

B: Tesho, RIcketts, Jackson-Hamel, Spoon, Osorio, Teibert, Aird, Edwards, Fraser, Stanese, CB, Thomas, Leutwiler

James would of course take up one of the CB spots. One CB will go to a newcomer, Sadiki, Didic, etc.  

Fill out the center backs, add Cristante, then see whichever flank defenders emerge, and you start to see the outline of the pool going forward to 2020. 

Who is the LB

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Zambrano said in a interview last week that he is going to talk to Tabla and explain to him why Canada is his best option (don't remember where I heard the interview) things like he grew up here etc.

The interview was on the RDS Impact poodcast Loin de s'en Foot by Patrick Leduc and Olivier Brett. Even though the podcast is French the Interview was done in English.

http://www.rds.ca/tele/loin-de-s-en-foot Semaine 8 - April 6 interview starts pretty much right away.

• 3 weeks later...

What about a 4-4-2 diamond

Hoilett-Larin 

Arfield 

?                   Johnson

Hutch

de jong    James     Atakora        ?

Borjan

------------------------Larin--------------------------
-----Tabla------------Hoilett----------Davies------
---------------Arfield-------Hutchinson-------------
--Edwards------Vitoria------James----Johnson-
-----------------------Borjan--------------------------

Wouldn't mind also Hoilett just being a second striker in a 4-4-1-1.

14 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Is there any chance the Henry or Edgar are able to play this summer?  (Various posters have included them in their lineups.)  Can't find any info about Henry...

Pretty sure Edgar is out until early fall. Not too sure about Henry

4 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Is there any chance the Henry or Edgar are able to play this summer?  (Various posters have included them in their lineups.)  Can't find any info about Henry...

Henry has a ruptured knee ligament and it was confirmed by his club that he was out for the season 

Archived