What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

Surprised Aleman is not on the 40-man roster.

Shame for him considering Zambarno had evaluated him. I wonder what's going on there. Conventional wisdom would put him ahead of several players just by virtue of earning playing time at Saprissa.

It could be a negotiation with Zambrano, were they agreed it is best for him to stay in Costa Rica, as I'm sure there will minutes to be had considering Costa Rica is likely to call on several players for this competition and WCQ. At least that is my hope.

I find it hard to imagine he wouldn't be useful, but I'm not the expert nor have I evaluated him close up as Zambrano has. 

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The Cavalini bit is interesting.  It seems like it could either indicate that he is back in, or that we are simply naming him in the hope that he accepts the call.  The latter seems unlikely though since you would do that sort of vetting beforehand, no?  Why waste a spot - even one of the forty - on someone you just met with unless they indicated a willingness?  I can't help but see that picture of OZ and Cav smiling together and think happy thoughts.  Along with the Davies situation, this is probably the GC I am most looking forward to.

You are correct on your assumption of the latter. If they were going to save a spot andhope that he accepts, they would have done the same thing for Tabla

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

USMNT took more than half of the salary of Toronto FC.

But come on. Those are 2 of their best players. Should we not call up 2 of our best players in Johnson and Larin?

26 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Ya but Osorio, Chapman, Hamilton, Choniere, Awuah are all part of the future. 

I like Rockets but if we're giving TFC a break let's take the guys who are future starters and don't play much.

I'd rather have a good mixture of youth and experience compared to all youth

Edit: Sorry i made 3 separate posts

41 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Ya but Osorio, Chapman, Hamilton, Choniere, Awuah are all part of the future. 

I like Rockets but if we're giving TFC a break let's take the guys who are future starters and don't play much.

So you're advocating not bringing Ricketts, a proven threat at a good level who can help this team win now, so that we take another relatively unproven forward or an unproven mid because of "future?"

5 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I actually thought Elva was one of the better players in that Aspire Tournament and thought he might get a look.

I thought so too, but with him not seeing any action for the first team, I am not surprised he was left off. I think he's close though and I think he'll make his full senior debut sooner rather than later.

36 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think a lot of people are ignoring the fact that OZ probably wants to keep a good relationship with the clubs and taking Ricketts, Edwards and Osorio and Chapman or Hamilton would be a lot. 

Well we'll see who gets taken from the 40 man roster.....but there are 4 Impact players on the 40 man roster vs. TFC's 3. Granted the Impact are probably not expecting to lose any other players to the Gold Cup whereas TFC are likely to lose more to the US so maybe there was more of a concern from TFC's point of view. But at the same token Edwards may have "stolen" Morgan's spot on the roster and he may simply rate Choiniere (or Kay) higher than Chapman at this stage. Difficult to say.

What do we make of Petrasso?

Some of us have been critical (and perhaps rightly so) in Qatar with the U-23's, but he's included ahead of Elva, who arguably played better. I'm tempted to add Aleman to that list as well, but I don't know if his performance was any better than Petrasso's. Certainly he didn't score.

At any rate, I think he's an interesting selection. He did get some garbage minutes down the stretch for QPR, who do play in the Championship, and his Qatar showing did involve a goal, albeit paired with flashes of inconsistency. I guess Zambrano does believe in his potential though, otherwise he wouldn't have been selected.

Does anyone think make the final squad? Is he deserving?

Seems like Cordova and somehow Fresenga has already passed Dixon on the RB depth chart. Have to think its either Cordova or Ledgerwood at RB with no Ouimette. 

Does anyone else find it strange that none of the Deltas (Bekker, Tissot, Ouimette or Attakora) were called? Some people were talking about Attakora as a starter recently. 

So let me get this straight, after the friendly in Montreal, then they will announce the 23 man roster mid June, then camp opens up June 28??  My detective side wants to know who in the camp right now and on the 13th wins himself a spot on that initial roster.  Cordova, Froese, Edwards...AJH??  Seems like some of the longshot guys would have been invited to Montreal if Zam Bran 3000 really wanted to get one last look before deciding on the 23 man roster in mid June.  Non-established guys like Choinere, Kapor, Galvais, Adekugbe should have been at both if they were seriously looking at them this go round.  

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Always something to whine about hey? Maybe we should have 80 man rosters 

Speaking of whine, wine that is, red and white just like Canada ;) , word got to the PM a Canadian team is still in the running for the "cup" and he couldn't resist but sign a promo for a media op:

IMG_4501.JPG

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

They didn't earn a call yet. This 40 man provisional roster gets cut down to 23.

Chances are both those names aren't on the team that goes to the Gold Cup. 

Kwame did earn a call for the curacao friendly if you want to be technical. I guess the correct way to say it is " earned consideration"

8 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Seems like Cordova and somehow Fresenga has already passed Dixon on the RB depth chart. Have to think its either Cordova or Ledgerwood at RB with no Ouimette. 

Does anyone else find it strange that none of the Deltas (Bekker, Tissot, Ouimette or Attakora) were called? Some people were talking about Attakora as a starter recently. 

Yes, I do think that is odd. You'd think at least 1 of them would make the 40 man roster, but at least it's a sign of depth. I think having the luxury of omitting some of our NASL players is where we want to be as a program.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Wow.  There is actual competition to make this 23 man squad.  The old heads (Ledgerwood, Straith, Jakovic, deJong, Jackson, Haber, Ricketts and Johnson) have lots of competition from the next generation. 

Only obvious cuts are Kaye, Choiniere, Awuah, Pasher, Fresenga, Galvis, and even then, you still have 11 guys that will be cut, all of whom are good players that could easily make the squad and contribute.  

I have a feeling we will finally score a goal in this competition. 

Agreed.

As a matter of fact the CSA and Government of Canada signed The Weeknd to promote Canada 150 and the quest for the cup with this slogan. 

IMG_5316.JPG

Thinking about it there is no way those guys were not in our best 40 players. Pure speculation but are players 24-40 allowed to stay and train with the team despite not being on the active roster? Seems like Oz might have chose to fill spots 30-40 with guys that would A) be willing to do that and b ) benefit from the chance to train with the team. 

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

The roster needs to be cut to 23 a day before our Gold Cup camp starts.

Does that necessarily mean the rest can't train? Concept still applies even if it is just being around for meetings on tactics etc. I highly doubt they can stop players from that. 

2 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Does that necessarily mean the rest can't train? Concept still applies even if it is just being around for meetings on tactics etc. I highly doubt they can stop players from that. 

I think so. You can only travel with 32 people and 23 of them are players.

1 minute ago, IceCreamMan said:

After the roster deadline the CSA is only allowed to pay players on the roster. So, maybe if they train for free? I can't recall cut players from a roster ever training with the team though.

I'm pretty sure the CSA is allowed to have players train with them but just won't be on the roster. If for some odd reason, the CSA got a 11 Voyageurs to play against the national team on a daily basis what would Concacaf say?

Archived