What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Actually that's one guy I'm surprised is missing now that you mention it. I haven't watched any of his club football but he seems to be progressing nicely and he played well in the Scotland match. Odd to rule him out of the GC completely in favour of a couple of the other players named. 

Now that I look at the FB's called, I'm surprised Tissot isn't there. Guess Zambrano is higher on Pasher than he is on Tissot and Corbin-Ong at the moment. I would imagine de Jong and Adekugbe are the final two

No Ouimette either, which is less of a surprise.

1 minute ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Kwame Awuah and David Choiniere have 6 MLS minutes combined. Hard to see how they earned a call over Chapman

I think a lot of people are ignoring the fact that OZ probably wants to keep a good relationship with the clubs and taking Ricketts, Edwards and Osorio and Chapman or Hamilton would be a lot. 

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I think a lot of people are ignoring the fact that OZ probably wants to keep a good relationship with the clubs and taking Ricketts, Edwards and Osorio and Chapman or Hamilton would be a lot. 

USMNT took more than half of the salary of Toronto FC.

24 minutes ago, Addona said:

No Aleman, Hainault, Corbin-Ong, Stanese ... just naming a few other guys; not necessarily huge surprises, but there are a few USL players are were called, so these guys not being there is a little puzzling.

In any case, this is about as close to a full strength squad that I've seen called in a long, long time!

Edit: This also shows that we have a little more depth these days, if these guys aren't making the 40-man squad.

I feel that this point shows we should start planning things for a B squad so that these fringe players are still associated with the coaching staff, tactics, etc. Makes them feel a part of it and allows for more seamless inclusion in case of an injury

Always something to whine about hey? Maybe we should have 80 man rosters so that everyone with a pulse gets called.

At least the complaints are about depth players who weren't going to be on the Gold Cup squad anyways, and not about someone who would have easily made the squad (e.g. Johnson or Osorio) being omitted as a part of a player / manager grudge.

22 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Kwame Awuah and David Choiniere have 6 MLS minutes combined. Hard to see how they earned a call over Chapman

They didn't earn a call yet. This 40 man provisional roster gets cut down to 23.

Chances are both those names aren't on the team that goes to the Gold Cup. 

25 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Ya but Osorio, Chapman, Hamilton, Choniere, Awuah are all part of the future. 

I like Rockets but if we're giving TFC a break let's take the guys who are future starters and don't play much.

Wow.  There is actual competition to make this 23 man squad.  The old heads (Ledgerwood, Straith, Jakovic, deJong, Jackson, Haber, Ricketts and Johnson) have lots of competition from the next generation. 

Only obvious cuts are Kaye, Choiniere, Awuah, Pasher, Fresenga, Galvis, and even then, you still have 11 guys that will be cut, all of whom are good players that could easily make the squad and contribute.  

I have a feeling we will finally score a goal in this competition. 

7 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Always something to whine about hey? Maybe we should have 80 man rosters so that everyone with a pulse gets called.

Seriously. I checked in on the USMNT Big Soccer forum to see how they felt about their Gold Cup call-ups and half the posts were "Wondolowski shouldn't be making this roster." and "What has McNamara/Polser/Pontius done to deserve a USMNT call-up? they aren't USMNT level". Yet we are here trying to work out our 30 best players not on a 40 man roster.

You don't build a good national team by letting every Canadian playing above PDL level onto the roster. Players need to know that a Canada call up isn't a right; you need to go out and earn it.

3 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Wow.  There is actual competition to make this 23 man squad.  The old heads (Ledgerwood, Straith, Jakovic, deJong, Jackson, Haber, Ricketts and Johnson) have lots of competition from the next generation. 

Only obvious cuts are Kaye, Choiniere, Awuah, Pasher, Fresenga, Galvis, and even then, you still have 11 guys that will be cut, all of whom are good players that could easily make the squad and contribute.  

I have a feeling we will finally score a goal in this competition. 

I personally would also cut Thomas , Jackson and Lefevre

Bottom line is that there's no winning for the roster naming.  

-Bring in youth and some will complain and bemoan that we aren't competitive.  

-Bring old and some will complain and bemoan about the youth being neglected

-Bring a mix and you've missed out on *Insert your favourite non-roster player here*

Let's just enjoy this folks (knowing this will fall on deaf ears lol)

Surprised Aleman is not on the 40-man roster.

Shame for him considering Zambarno had evaluated him. I wonder what's going on there. Conventional wisdom would put him ahead of several players just by virtue of earning playing time at Saprissa.

It could be a negotiation with Zambrano, were they agreed it is best for him to stay in Costa Rica, as I'm sure there will minutes to be had considering Costa Rica is likely to call on several players for this competition and WCQ. At least that is my hope.

I find it hard to imagine he wouldn't be useful, but I'm not the expert nor have I evaluated him close up as Zambrano has. 

Surprised Aleman is not on the 40-man roster.

Shame for him considering Zambarno had evaluated him. I wonder what's going on there. Conventional wisdom would put him ahead of several players just by virtue of earning playing time at Saprissa.

It could be a negotiation with Zambrano, were they agreed it is best for him to stay in Costa Rica, as I'm sure there will minutes to be had considering Costa Rica is likely to call on several players for this competition and WCQ. At least that is my hope.

I find it hard to imagine he wouldn't be useful, but I'm not the expert nor have I evaluated him close up as Zambrano has. 

Archived