What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

According to the 2017 Gold Cup regulations the list shall be published and made public by the CONCACAF General Secretariat. Doesn't say that member associations have the obligation to publish their list. 

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CANADA’S 40-MAN PROVISIONAL LIST
GK- Milan Borjan | POL / MKS Korona Kielce
GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Shrewsbury Town FC
GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / FK Bodø/Glimt
CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / New York Cosmos
CB- Manjrekar James | HUN / Vasas Budapest
CB- Milovan Kapor | Unattached
CB- Wandrille Lefèvre | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
CB- Adam Straith | CAN / FC Edmonton
CB- Steven Vitória | POL / Lechia Gdańsk
FB- Samuel Adekugbe | ENG / Brighton Hove & Albion
FB- Juan Córdova | CHI / CD Huachipato
FB- Marcel de Jong | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
FB- Andrés Fresenga | URU / Cerro Largo FC
FB- Nik Ledgerwood | CAN / FC Edmonton
FB- Tyler Pasher | USA / Sporting Kansas City
M- Fraser Aird | Unattached
M- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas
M- Scott Arfield | ENG / Burnley FC
M- Kwame Awuah | USA / New York City FC
M - Patrice Bernier | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
M- Marco Bustos | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- David Choinière | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
M- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- Raheem Edwards | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Kianz Froese | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf
M- Nicolas Galvis | Unattached
M- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Louisville City FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
M- Samuel Piette | ESP / CD Izarra
M- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / CA Peñarol
F- Marcus Haber | SCO / Dundee FC
F- Anthony Jackson-Hamel | CAN / Impact Montréal
F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Walsall FC
F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC

5 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Milovan Kapor makes it; and Cavalinni called!

Not exactly. This is the 40 man roster that OZ will pull our GC roster from. If they're not on the list they can't be on the final roster, although there is an injury substitution at some point.

It also doesn't mean that because a player is on this list he will be at the GC.

3 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Call me an optimist, but I really think this roster is capable of making the final four.

You're an optimist :)

But then again so am I.  Can't wait to see who gets the final call....

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

Not exactly. This is the 40 man roster that OZ will pull our GC roster from. If they're not on the list they can't be on the final roster, although there is an injury substitution at some point.

It also doesn't mean that because a player is on this list he will be at the GC.

understood

10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No big surprises. No Tabla. No Gaspratto. No Weatherspoon.

Edit: No Occean, he must have told OZ he's retired.

No Gasparotto.  That one is really strange to me given how much PT he's gotten at his club ...

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

No Talba, No Wotherspoon (wonder hats up ?) no Henry ? No Chapman, No Hamilton, No Morgan

Hamilton I am not that surprised. Hasn't proven to be better than the five forwards on the list. Maybe Simeon Jackson, but Jackson has a lot of experience and has played at a very high level in the past.

Just now, harrycoyster said:

I'm sure Wotherspoon and Tabla were offered call-ups. Table looks uninterested in representing us and Wotherspoon is a complete mystery.

Looks like we won't get Ballou, his interview puts it to bed.

I guess Cavalini was convinced to to return ? Wonder if there was progress on Ferreira and Cristante.

I think some of the interesting questions are:

1) Is Edwards seen as a full back? I know he's listed as a midfielder but if they see him as available to fill in at left back then one of Adekugbe/De Jong doesn't make it. Then there's also Cordova which leads to...

2) What happens at right back? I wouldn't be surprised if Ledgerwood is a starter or if he's cut. OZ seems to love Cordova, but who could be back up if he's starter? Not sure if OZ wants to waste a spot on a backup RB if he takes Straith for example because suddenly we have many legit options at mid/forward...

3) So who gets left behind? Three keepers and eight defenders leaves us with twelve mids/forwards. Quick check: Arfield, Johnson, Bernier, Piette, Osorio, Hoillet, Ricketts, Akindele, Edwards, Davies, Aird, Larin, Cavallini, Jackson-Hamel... that's thirteen. You could certainly leave a couple home, but you could also leave out a defender and have some of the mids be your back up defenders (Edwards? Aird?).

The Cavalini bit is interesting.  It seems like it could either indicate that he is back in, or that we are simply naming him in the hope that he accepts the call.  The latter seems unlikely though since you would do that sort of vetting beforehand, no?  Why waste a spot - even one of the forty - on someone you just met with unless they indicated a willingness?  I can't help but see that picture of OZ and Cav smiling together and think happy thoughts.  Along with the Davies situation, this is probably the GC I am most looking forward to.

5 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I'm sure Wotherspoon and Tabla were offered call-ups. Table looks uninterested in representing us and Wotherspoon is a complete mystery.

Considering how long it took Arfield to appear for the MNT after the rumours where first published I'm not surprised. We don't know what his status is and his eligibility only came to light in March. 

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Looks like we won't get Ballou, his interview puts it to bed.

I guess Cavalini was convinced to to return ? Wonder if there was progress on Ferreira and Cristante.

I agree on Tabla. It's looking very unlikely. There were rumors Cavalini would return because he wants the exposure (perhaps to MLS teams?). It's been quiet on the Ferreria and Cristante front, but since they aren't on this roster, I'd doubt they'd play for us before the 2019 Gold Cup/2022 WCQ

No Aleman, Hainault, Corbin-Ong, Stanese ... just naming a few other guys; not necessarily huge surprises, but there are a few USL players are were called, so these guys not being there is a little puzzling.

In any case, this is about as close to a full strength squad that I've seen called in a long, long time!

Edit: This also shows that we have a little more depth these days, if these guys aren't making the 40-man squad.

3 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I agree on Tabla. It's looking very unlikely. There were rumors Cavalini would return because he wants the exposure (perhaps to MLS teams?). It's been quiet on the Ferreria and Cristante front, but since they aren't on this roster, I'd doubt they'd play for us before the 2019 Gold Cup/2022 WCQ

By then both will likely get there one time cap for Italy/Portugal

1 minute ago, Addona said:

No Aleman, Hainault, Corbin-Ong, Stanese ... just naming a few other guys; not necessarily huge surprises, but there are a few USL players are were called, so these guys not being there is a little puzzling.

In any case, this is about as close to a full strength squad that I've seen called in a long, long time!

I forgot about Aleman, that's kind of surprising as well

3 minutes ago, Addona said:

Actually that's one guy I'm surprised is missing now that you mention it. I haven't watched any of his club football but he seems to be progressing nicely and he played well in the Scotland match. Odd to rule him out of the GC completely in favour of a couple of the other players named. 

This is an exciting pool of players and it really gives me some hope. I'm curious to see what can become of Galvis. Our central midfield is one of our more deep positions. OZ must see something to put a relatively unknow player on the provisional roster ahead of the likes of Chapman and Aleman.

Archived