What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

David was the kid from Ottawa that was scoring with u-17 and one of the V's who has seen him play was saying he could be better than Davies in the long run.    Maybe Ottawafan74 as inside info, ie] if he is eligible for other countries, but his profile does not mention anything like that.  

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just what I heard. He might have access to another passport so the thinking might be to get him involved before he can commit somewhere else. 

I think with his skill set, understanding of the game and ability he has the potential to be better than Davies, who I think has a very bright future. Let's see how they develop. 

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So Johnny David = Jonathan David - the guy who played in some of the the U17 games last year?    Seems like an interesting inclusion.

I believe he was playing for Canada very recently in those games against MLS academy teams and FC Edmonton. Think he scored a goal or two as well.

Edit: I am totally wrong.

10 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

When will they announce the squad?

Last night on Twitter someone asked and they said the initial 40 man roster would be out this week. My guess would be Thursday to pair it with the Woman's game on TSN.

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

It looks very likely that it will be Larin and AJH for Canada now that Ricketts is hurt. Unless Zambrano goes with 1 up top, but i have a feeling he will go with 2.

Ricketts should be back by the time the Gold Cup starts though (or were you referring just to the Curaçao game?)

Even if Hoilett is played in the middle, which is something that should be tried at some point, I dont see Edwards starting.

I like Edwards and he deserves his chance, but I'd be shocked if he is able to be a difference maker at the Concacaf level in the same way he is in MLS.  Im still waiting for Larin to prove he can raise his game.   

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Even if Hoilett is played in the middle, which is something that should be tried at some point, I dont see Edwards starting.

I like Edwards and he deserves his chance, but I'd be shocked if he is able to be a difference maker at the Concacaf level in the same way he is in MLS.  Im still waiting for Larin to prove he can raise his game.   

I'd rather have him than Aird.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=t319l

3-5-2, inspired by TFC. This is something I'd like to see tried out. I wish we had more time before the Gold Cup for OZ to try out some different things. 

There are some unproven players here but they aren't in there just because of recent hype, every player has a reason. I've put Jr in the middle because I believe that is where he is more of a goal threat, his crossing has never been his best asset. He's more of a danger running directly at goal. I've chosen Aird and Edwards as the wingbacks as they have proven to be very good at delivering balls from out wide and aren't one dimensional as they can also run at players so defenders will have to respect that. Our other options as wingbacks are more one dimensional. But the key here is that they will be able to send in dangerous balls for Larin and Jackson-Hamel. Jackson-Hamel might not be proven but it's impressive how he physically dominates in MLS, and we all know how physically dominant Larin is. It might seem a little backwards as we'd be basically trying to out-thug our opponents in the box. But I think its our best chance to score goals. Just think of defenders trying to control Larin and AJH while Aird or Edwards are sending in dangerous crosses and Jr is making late runs and being a poacher in the box. Airfield (with bernier also able to play this role) in the middle to control the pace of the game and calm things down and starting plays in the Michael Bradley role. Johnson (piette) as the destroyer. Tosaint Ricketts could play his familiar role of super sub. 

The only problem is that we are particularly short on CBs right now. Henry and Edgar being injured really hurts our ability to play this. I trust Vitoria and James but the last spot is probably Jakovic or Straith whom I'm not convinced can do it. But then again TFC have Hagglund and Zavaleta looking really good playing this formation so who knows. 

17 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Edwards may not be a difference maker at the international level yet but he is playing at a comparable or higher level than some of the players we have started in recent times. I am not sure Canada would beat Toronto FC at this point. They should be able to beat them if they want to compete in CONCACAF though.

3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

So, now that Davies is officially becoming Canadian today, I would have to think he is in the Gold Cup squad. IMO he's a late game sub on the wing replacing Arfield, Hoilett or Akindele at this point.

I'm almost thinking they were waiting to see if he passed the test to release the roster.

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm almost thinking they were waiting to see if he passed the test to release the roster.

I assume so since the tweet had him and the new CSA president getting his jersey.

Archived