All Aboard the CMNT Fence Sitters for WC2026

Moldy9

I posted this question on the WC 2026 bid page and thought it would be a decent topic of discussion.

Should Canada secure automatic qualification via hosting the 2026 WC do you think this will attract more players from wanting to wear the Maple Leaf given they're assured to play in a WC? Do you think this will even be a factor in the equation given that many more Cdns will have developed in MLS academies, first teams and the CPL 6-8 years from now? Maybe we will see players who we never knew had a Cdn connection? And if this happens it would not only improve 2026 but as well 2030. 

3 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I love how everyone is essentially writing off qualifying for the 2022 WC.

I say this announcement does wonders for our chances of going to Qatar now. We will want to legitimize our hosting for 2026.

Yea we'll see some fence sitters come on board partly because of this. Everyone wants to actually play at the World Cup and not be on a bench. I'm thinking if Ferreira and Tomori don't see themselves as starters for Portugal and England they'll make the move to ensure they get to actually play in the World Cup.

For the record
Ferreira will be 33
Tomori will be 28
Davies will be 26
Tabla will be 27
Cristante will be 31

I think this forces players to commit to Canada sooner rather than later. They will have to EARN a spot on the starting XI of a World Cup, hopefully 2022 before 2026. If they help Canada qualify to 2022, they would have an edge to be recall in 2026.

All I'm saying, this will be a very interesting time for Canada and we should see lots of Canadian dual citizens switching allegiance to Canada. We have now became their greatest shot at ever playing in the World Cup.

Because of that, I'm liking our chances in 2022.

True never thought about the impact on the 2022 campaign. Having an injection of talent by players, coming out of the wood work, committing to the Red and White would improve the squad and player pool. 

2026 automatic qualification would definitely have a ripple effect on 2022. Hopefully. 

Assuming the same timelines we are used to, qualifying for 2022 will just be getting interesting after the 2026 host(s) is/are decided. If the bid fails, we might not see any impact in terms of dual nationals. It will be hard to tell though when someone commits if it wouldn't have happened without this bid, especially since we already have had some momentum in this aspect of our team building.

Archived