CPL "Single Entity" system

PJSweet

Can someone here, through a short summary point form, please explain how the CPL single entity system is expected to work. I do know that several details were released during the Halifax press conference a few weeks ago. Is this single entity system different than MLS'?

Nobody has any clue. The only thing we have "heard" is that it will be single-entity and that they have learned from the MLS experience.

My guess is it will be more like the NFL where the league is responsible for marketing the league, administration and staffing, and revenue streams are shared. But that is just a wild-ass guess. :)

11 hours ago, ted said:

Nobody has any clue. The only thing we have "heard" is that it will be single-entity and that they have learned from the MLS experience.

My guess is it will be more like the NFL where the league is responsible for marketing the league, administration and staffing, and revenue streams are shared. But that is just a wild-ass guess. :)

I think that's probably the gist of it. Duane Rollins has mentioned it won't be as hands on as mls with player transfers and such.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:59 PM, lazlo_80 said:

I think that's probably the gist of it. Duane Rollins has mentioned it won't be as hands on as mls with player transfers and such.

So no flipping of coins to see which CPL club star players returning to Canada will play for ala Jermaine Jones in MLS?

• 1 month later...

I think it will be more like current NHL, NBA than MLS 1single entity where not everything is centralized to the league.

This allows for clubs while having revenue sharing scheme to help smaller markets to be competitive. Why do you think Phoenix Coyotes, Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes are still operating with empty arenas? Good old Gary Bettman figured it out.

For me, that makes more sense to me.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I think it will be more like current NHL, NBA than MLS 1single entity where not everything is centralized to the league.

This allows for clubs while having revenue sharing scheme to help smaller markets to be competitive. Why do you think Phoenix Coyotes, Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes are still operating with empty arenas? Good old Gary Bettman figured it out.

For me, that makes more sense to me.

But this is your opinion right? Not based on anything you've actually heard. 

This was one thing Bob Young said directly on twitter when I asked him quickly what his thoughts were on single entity. It could be just regular corporate speak, and nobody obviously will spill any significant business decisions publicly, but even just getting my thoughts quickly across to him, I even just appreciated the fact that he took the time to reply. Here's to hoping to avoiding pure single entity, and to go with a high degree of revenue-sharing instead, whatever that may specifically end up looking like.

55 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This and the Voyageurs/CPL FB pages are helpful too.  I am compiling dossiers on each of you...

I rarely use the FB page.  Pops up in my feed occasionally but rarely look.  Should check it out more often to at least share useful articles to friends.  As for my dossier man is that long and ugly lol

If you're looking for more of the quick discussions on the topic of the day, rather than the more detailed debates here on the forum, then the V's Facebook group is definitely the best place for that. The forum and the facebook group go pretty well hand in hand~

Archived