Funny real world soccer things

matty

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

The Community Shield counts as a trophy? There are only two teams in it!!

As for the Europa thing, isn't that the Champions League Failures Cup?

So, no major trophies for Man U this season then.

I'm maybe in the minority but I view Europa as a major cup. It's been battered over the last decade (since Intertoto, aka the most interesting cup ever to the point an award at my film fest is named for it, was merged into it) but it's still got a ton of history and should be seen as major.

Edited by matty

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

Na, you are in the majority matty, I was just being facetious. League Cup is also considered a major trophy. But as we both know, Man U's payroll ought to be able to hook bigger fish.

I think it really depends how you define major.

11 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Certainly! I suppose each individual can make his own definition if he wishes, but I can tell you that in England the League Cup is certainly considered to be a major trophy (although of course the least important of the three domestic ones), and ditto for the Europa thing, in spite of being a home for Champions League failures!

The League Cup is weird to me. While it is a major one, it's hard for many to view it as such: teams field youth players, there's no sponsor and the final is in mid season. I understand why it's viewed as lesser.

The Europa league hate I do not fully get.

• 3 weeks later...

Idiots https://www.rt.com/sport/393623-british-citizens-detained-pyrotechnics-kazan/

SUMMED UP

A group of British citizens were detained in the Russian city of Kazan on Tuesday with a bag filled with 61 flares. The group was allegedly planning to test security arrangements at the ongoing FIFA Confederations Cup in the city......

....The group claimed to local police they were representatives of the media company Bigballs, and said they had the fireworks with them in order to test the security systems at Kazan Arena, which is hosting Confederations Cup matches......

....Bigballs representative Ross Whittow-Williams later denied any connection with the group to RT, stating that no members of the company’s staff were involved in the incident.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...