David Wotherspoon

IceCreamMan

On 3/28/2017 at 6:52 PM, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Not sure how accurate but his Wikipedia say him Mom was born in Azerbaijan and he qualifies to play for their national team. 

On 3/28/2017 at 7:54 PM, Zem said:

I think that might just be bogus, the article cited for his supposed Azerbaijan eligibility on Wikipedia makes absolutely no mention of it.

No one ever took the Azerbaijan thing seriously but he confirmed it was wikipedia bullshit here: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/812298/st-johnstones-david-wotherspoon-reveals-all-in-this-weeks-special-a-to-z/

Says his mum was indeed born in Canada.

( Not that the Scottish Sun as a "paper" is reliable mind you! ;) )

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Bully said:

He'll be in an upcoming camp.

Where do folks rate him on our depth chart?

He's a winger? I imagine if Arfield goes into the middle he is competing with Aird and Petrasso and Edwards if Zambrano opts to use him as an RM rather than a left back. If Edwards is at RM I think hes a starter. The left is Hoilett's to lose.

• 5 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Anyone else surprised not to see him in Gold Cup squad?

9 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I am, maybe FIFA paper problems. Scott Arfield said it took about a year to get everything in order for him.

It takes a few months but it's quicker when you already have a passport. We don't know if Wotherspoon already had one - I suspect not. His mum may not even have had one - they may have had to start from scratch and get all the documentation together to get Wotherspoon a passport and then file a one-time switch.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

He's never played a game for us and plays a position where we have some depth. If he was called up against curaçao and proved himself, then maybe I'd be surprised. But as of right now, his suggested positions are filled by guys like Aird, Davies, Edwards, Arfield, etc. All of which earned their spot in the squad.

22 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

He's never played a game for us and plays a position where we have some depth. If he was called up against curaçao and proved himself, then maybe I'd be surprised. But as of right now, his suggested positions are filled by guys like Aird, Davies, Edwards, Arfield, etc. All of which earned their spot in the squad.

With the exception of Arfield, all the guys who listed are far less experienced and likely lesser players at the current time and two have one 1 cap (one of those guys actually looked meh in the game), Wotherspoon would easily jump them on the depth chart and hold the spot until they're ready to take it back (should he play for Canada).

Edited by matty

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

His goal against Kilmarnock here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJpjq9kOmk

We are under 4 weeks out from our Jamaica friendly, does anybody know if he will be in the squad for September?

It was an alright goal

I personally think Zambrano will call up a North American based squad for this friendly against Jamaica. Doesn't make sense to have guys from the Europe who's season is in full swing for just one match. They must focus in their respective leagues 

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

It was an alright goal

I personally think Zambrano will call up a North American based squad for this friendly against Jamaica. Doesn't make sense to have guys from the Europe who's season is in full swing for just one match. They must focus in their respective leagues 

Yeah, I agree that it'll probably be a North American based squad, with maybe a few players from abroad sprinkled in (Cordova, James, etc).

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

It was an alright goal

this is the mentality towards why our team's chemistry is so shite. Let's continue to call the B-team for friendlies and let our A team figure it out when the real games start

3 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

David is arguably in our starting 11 from Day 1, certainly 23.

I wouldn't put him straight in 11. Haber is a SPL regular and he doesn't make our 23

10 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I wouldn't put him straight in 11. Haber is a SPL regular and he doesn't make our 23

Because he plays in a position where we have better players than him. I'd take Wortherspoon over all our CMs except for Piette, Arfield, and Johnson.

28 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Because he plays in a position where we have better players than him. I'd take Wortherspoon over all our CMs except for Piette, Arfield, and Johnson.

he plays out wide though...