Ryan Telfer

Dub Narcotic

17 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

I think with the two games against Cuba we should look to be calling some CPL players regardless. I think it would be silly to ignore 

I would like to see a couple players get an opportunity, perhaps even earn a cap.

However, we shouldn't go full-on experimental mode, in my humble opinion. We need to win both games and cream Cuba. If we can rack up the goals and split with the US, they'll be under pressure to match it when they play Cuba.

I think we are getting too broke up over Telfer, the way things are going its a real stretch to say he might be important to the CMNT, get 20-30caps etc.  Maybe, but he would really have to up his play though.   

Ie: Akindele is a solid MLS quality player, only has 14 caps, and might not get to 20 the way things are going.  Edwards has 50+ Mls games, a fistfull of goals and assists with some lively play on the wing, still only 24, 4 caps, and might not hit 10caps.  AJH, 70+ mls games, 15 goals, 26years old, only 14 caps and prob wont get to 25.  The competition is getting fierce for spots, for games.  The guys that havnt broken into the CMNT by their mid 20's are in real danger of being passed over because the under 20 kids are looking so promising.  

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The article makes it sound like Canada has reached out to him, which I would find surprisingly. I would be happy if that was the case.

I never knew his TFC contract expires this year. Looks like he has more than one tough decision on the horizon.

Like you said earlier Obinna, it could have been last year with TFC when someone contacted him.  At least we know that Herdman and company are doing the right things and talking to fringe players.  Now it would be nice to hear they were talking to Ranjitsingh....who is a guy in  a similar situation, but it probably closer to getting a call than Telfer.  And at a position we have less depth at.    

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Like you said earlier Obinna, it could have been last year with TFC when someone contacted him.  At least we know that Herdman and company are doing the right things and talking to fringe players.  Now it would be nice to hear they were talking to Ranjitsingh....who is a guy in  a similar situation, but it probably closer to getting a call than Telfer.  And at a position we have less depth at.    

Funny enough, Ranjitsingh is not a player I care too much about. If we can cap him too, that'd be great, but I would much rather cap Telfer if I had to choose.

First of all, he is a keeper and keepers can literally only play 1 position. True we have less depth at goalkeeper than winger, but Telfer can also play fullback and possibly (though unlikely) inside as well. Therefore, Telfer has much more potential impact to Canada than Ranjitsingh, who at best may find himself as the 3rd string Canadian keeper. Even if he got that far the impact of a 3rd string keeper is very small compared to an outfield player, generally speaking.

Secondly, I see Telfer getting more T&T caps, which means more of a chance to face us and being an offensive player there's more of a chance he can score on us or making a play to impact the game and make it difficult for us. That is more likely than Ranjitsingh actually playing in a game against us and shutting us out with all the attacking weapons we have.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

The article makes it sound like Canada has reached out to him, which I would find surprisingly. I would be happy if that was the case.

I never knew his TFC contract expires this year. Looks like he has more than one tough decision on the horizon.

The fact that his contract expires makes the loan even more idiotic. @Vanneyout

19 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

The fact that his contract expires makes the loan even more idiotic. @Vanneyout

Except that Telfer would not be able to sign with another MLS team without compensation to TFC, so if his contract runs out, his only real option where he can choose where he plays would be CPL

59 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Except that Telfer would not be able to sign with another MLS team without compensation to TFC, so if his contract runs out, his only real option where he can choose where he plays would be CPL

Stupid MLS rules. Why is everything so convoluted in this league?

2 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Which is why with CPL I haven't watched a single MLS game this year. Mind you, it would be nice to have a little more clarity on the CPL roster rules

I really hope the CPL doesn't look to the MLS for any kind of inspiration. The MLS has a good successful thing going and it's growing but it's not the league I would model anything off of

4 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Which is why with CPL I haven't watched a single MLS game this year. Mind you, it would be nice to have a little more clarity on the CPL roster rules

Not a rule per se, but they need to change the criteria for qualifying for the Championship.

If you win the spring and fall, you should be CPL champion. Plain and simple.

Cavalry have nothing to play for at this point. It's a real shame and I am definitely not paying as much attention to the CPL as I would have otherwise.

Really hope the change that for next season.

3 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

I really hope the CPL doesn't look to the MLS for any kind of inspiration. The MLS has a good successful thing going and it's growing but it's not the league I would model anything off of

After perusing the MLS roster rules real quickly, the only thing I would really take from them is the salary cap (at least for the early days) but I'd prefer it to be more luxury tax based. I think an argument could be made for a DP spot as well though I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but other than that I completely agree

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not a rule per se, but they need to change the criteria for qualifying for the Championship.

If you win the spring and fall, you should be CPL champion. Plain and simple.

Cavalry have nothing to play for at this point. It's a real shame and I am definitely not paying as much attention to the CPL as I would have otherwise.

Really hope the change that for next season.

Agreed, though I imagine as we get closer to the date there will be a bunch of marketing of the Championship.

One thing I would like to see changed though is it being a 2 legged game. I would much prefer the Spring Champ get the home date in a one off game like what NASL was doing

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not even a salary cap? ;)

A salary cap can be important for the early years of the league to keep up the financial viability of the clubs. As far I'm concerned though if an owner has deep enough pockets and is willing to spend the money they should be allowed the option. I don't have an issue with it though for the time being 

13 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

The MLS has a good successful thing going and it's growing but it's not the league I would model anything off of

You think?  Word on the street is the only reason they're surviving is the expansion fees.  League is already huge, and isn't slowing down, its a bit out of control really.  Not sure where they'd be if it weren't for the millions in expansion fees. 

They need a major broadcasting contract soon, or this might implode sooner than we think.  The existing model worked to get started, but they'll need millions from broadcasting rights to take the next step and take the handcuffs off, let the teams own their own players, remove the cap in order to compete with Mexico in champions league, etc...  until then the league and owners will remain in the red and dangerously close to folding.

I don't see anyone lining up to offer anything remotely close to what they'll need to stay afloat any time soon.  Breaking point will surely be at 30 teams.

9 minutes ago, costarg said:

You think?  Word on the street is the only reason they're surviving is the expansion fees.  League is already huge, and isn't slowing down, its a bit out of control really.  Not sure where they'd be if it weren't for the millions in expansion fees. 

They need a major broadcasting contract soon, or this might implode sooner than we think.  The existing model worked to get started, but they'll need millions from broadcasting rights to take the next step and take the handcuffs off, let the teams own their own players, remove the cap in order to compete with Mexico in champions league, etc...  until then the league and owners will remain in the red and dangerously close to folding.

I don't see anyone lining up to offer anything remotely close to what they'll need to stay afloat any time soon.  Breaking point will surely be at 30 teams.

I figured they had a good thing going because they were expanding so quickly. I wish American sports leagues weren't so large but I figured it was just a sign of their success but now that you mention expansion fees it makes sense. 

13 minutes ago, costarg said:

Very astute observation.

I think their end game is to merge with Liga MX. Whether that's in the form of the leagues cup or an official merger remains to be seen.

Either way, MLS is probably in a bubble dependent on expansion fees propping it up.

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Agreed, though I imagine as we get closer to the date there will be a bunch of marketing of the Championship.

One thing I would like to see changed though is it being a 2 legged game. I would much prefer the Spring Champ get the home date in a one off game like what NASL was doing

It should be the fall champ as they are more games in the fall season which makes it harder to be on top at the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

It should be the fall champ as they are more games in the fall season which makes it harder to be on top at the end of the season.

Agreed. It should definitely be the winner of the longer season. That said, I kinda like the two-legged format. Leaves a little more room for error. A little more drama.

I just want to see the qualification change. You win the spring and the fall? You are champion.

Anyone know how they handle it in Liga MX if a team wins the Apatura and Clausura?

Expansion fees are going to net the Canadian MLS teams something like $50 million USD over the next 5 years.  If the teams could then sell their “franchise” slot to a US based relocation team for $200 million USD they will be feeling very good about themselves.

After that $250 million USD payday I wouldn’t be stunned to see them move to MLS after 2026.  It would be the sports investment of a lifetime for them.

11 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I mean yeah, with the way they have split the season. But with it 50/50 I would rather it be the Spring Champ as it gives much more time to ensure the game is sold out

On 8/20/2019 at 9:27 PM, Bison44 said:

I think we are getting too broke up over Telfer, the way things are going its a real stretch to say he might be important to the CMNT, get 20-30caps etc.  Maybe, but he would really have to up his play though.   

Ie: Akindele is a solid MLS quality player, only has 14 caps, and might not get to 20 the way things are going.  Edwards has 50+ Mls games, a fistfull of goals and assists with some lively play on the wing, still only 24, 4 caps, and might not hit 10caps.  AJH, 70+ mls games, 15 goals, 26years old, only 14 caps and prob wont get to 25.  The competition is getting fierce for spots, for games.  The guys that havnt broken into the CMNT by their mid 20's are in real danger of being passed over because the under 20 kids are looking so promising.  

Not to be harsh on the guy - I am quite happy for him that he is finding success in CPL - but this is my sentiment as well.  It would be different if he was a defender that was really elevating his game in CPL - but we are pretty deep in attack.  We are no longer in the position (IMO) where a guy like Telfer - playing at his present level - is in the mix for any sort of significant playing time.  He is tied for 10th in CPL scoring, so it isn't like he is tearing up the league.  And Akindele is the perfect example of a guy who is clearly ahead of Telfer, is only 2 years older than Telfer, and still can't get into the nat team. 

35 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not to be harsh on the guy - I am quite happy for him that he is finding success in CPL - but this is my sentiment as well.  It would be different if he was a defender that was really elevating his game in CPL - but we are pretty deep in attack.  We are no longer in the position (IMO) where a guy like Telfer - playing at his present level - is in the mix for any sort of significant playing time.  He is tied for 10th in CPL scoring, so it isn't like he is tearing up the league.  And Akindele is the perfect example of a guy who is clearly ahead of Telfer, is only 2 years older than Telfer, and still can't get into the nat team. 

+1.

Also, further to that, doesn't Pasquotti play a similar position?  Wouldn't Telfer be in competition with him as well?  And Borges?  I don't even think he's the best Canadian at that position in CPL, so not sure why the hand-wringing over capping him.