Jump to content

Canadian Dual Nationals


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The FIFA World Rankings are in no way reflective of who are actually the best teams in the world. Chile are grossly overrated at 17th in the rankings. There's nobody who actually believes that Chile have been the 17th best team in the world over the past 5 years, and they're in a rapid decline compared to where they were in 2014. In fact, in a year, or so, from now, they'd make an ideal friendly opponent for us...an overrated, failing team that our young, dynamic team could catch out. 

I dunno, they won back-to-back Copa Americas in 2015 and 2016. Chile definitely have come down since being ranked #3 in the world in 2016, but I don't think 17th is as far off as you seem to think.

Anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ūü§ģ at the idea of Zavaleta playing for Canada.

With Borjan and Crepeau along with a bunch of young prospects, I have no desire to recruit Bush.  

Get in here   

Posted Images

ELO is obviously a much better ranking metric than FIFA and Chile has been ~top 20 there too for a while.

i think it’s fair to say Chile is a top 20 nation. Maybe that changes in the next year or so but for now they have earned that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Peter Shaale is fairly close to becoming eligible for Canada. He came here in 2016 and I have been really impressed with him. Hopefully he plays another year here in Canada. I think between him and Dunn they have been the most impressive CBs in the CPL and could play at a higher level. 

Auro has been here for a few years and would be a really good addition. I wonder if he would be interested. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Auro has been here for a few years and would be a really good addition. I wonder if he would be interested. 

I don't think Auro would be able to play for us even if he wanted to. He was capped by Brazil at the U17 World Cup and since that was an official game and he wasn't eligible to play for Canada at the time so it would mean he can't represent Canada. I could be mistaken tho.

Edited by Nate3322
Link to post
Share on other sites

What ever happened to Lucas Bijker? I remember hearing he was also possibly eligible for Canada a few years back but nothing came of it. This season he's the starting leftback for Mechelen  in the Belgium first tier and i'm pretty sure he would be a good addition to the program.

Edited by badname22
corrected spelling of name
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2020 at 6:53 PM, Nate3322 said:

I don't think Auro would be able to play for us even if he wanted to. He was capped by Brazil at the U17 World Cup and since that was an official game and he wasn't eligible to play for Canada at the time so it would mean he can't represent Canada. I could be mistaken tho.

And he is not better than what we currently have available at half back. He is not close to ZBG and Larea.  And, he is country miles behind Phonzie.  

PS.:   A few years ago,  FiFA changes the rules so that u17 matches do not cap-tie a player.  

Edited by Free kick
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Free kick said:

And he is not better than what we currently have available at half back. He is not close to ZBG and Larea.  And, he is country miles behind Phonzie.  

PS.:   A few years ago,  FiFA changes the rules so that u17 matches do not cap-tie a player.  

what? hes better than ZBG and beat out laryea for the starting RB spot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

what? hes better than ZBG and beat out laryea for the starting RB spot. 

 Yes, I’m saying he is not better than what we currently have.  And i havent seen any kind of quality from him in a while. I MIGHT buy the argument he has not been terrible.   But he not a standout becasue he delivers very little when comming forward.  So why do we need him for the MNT?  Did you watch the TFC - Mon game Friday night?   In particular ZBG and Larea?  They were the best players on each team.

 

Edited by Free kick
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Free kick said:

 I’m saying he is not better than what we currently have.  And i havent seen any kind of quality from him in a while. I MIGHT buy the argument he has not been terrible.   But he not a standout becasue he delivers very little when comming forward.  So why do we need him for the MNT?  Did you watch the TFC - Mon game Friday night?   In particular ZBG and Larea?  They were the best players on each team.

 

i dont base things off one game. laryea is a utility player who is playing left wing now and thats probably his best position. zbg was benched for piette at RB this year and hasnt even been a fulltime starter. ZBG has like 1 or 2 career assist so what does he offer going forward? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

i dont base things off one game. laryea is a utility player who is playing left wing now and thats probably his best position. zbg was benched for piette at RB this year and hasnt even been a fulltime starter. ZBG has like 1 or 2 career assist so what does he offer going forward? 

Does our MNT really need to look to cap tie someone like Auro Jr when there possibilities like Pozuelo or central defenders who play for Canadian MLS teams, or maybe even a keeper?   All these are areas of need for the MNT.  Our MNT needs central defenders, an experiened and proven Goalkeeper, and maybe a number 10. 
 

you must have not watched a lot TFC games this year.   Larea has basically become a very key component?  So far,  he is proving more essential than Osorio.  And i have always been a big fan of osorio.

Edited by Free kick
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Free kick said:

And he is not better than what we currently have available at half back. He is not close to ZBG and Larea.  And, he is country miles behind Phonzie.  

PS.:   A few years ago,  FiFA changes the rules so that u17 matches do not cap-tie a player.  

I agree about Auro being overrated. I don’t understand why he gets starts over Laryea.

But about the rules, U17 matches don’t cap tie you except you can never play for a country you weren’t eligible for at the time of that U17 cap. So Auro will never be eligible for Canada unless the rules change again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kent said:

I agree about Auro being overrated. I don’t understand why he gets starts over Laryea.

But about the rules, U17 matches don’t cap tie you except you can never play for a country you weren’t eligible for at the time of that U17 cap. So Auro will never be eligible for Canada unless the rules change again.

hes better defensively and has good link up play with pozuelo and piatti.

pozuelo would be amazing but he just got here a year ago so he would have to stay here for what? 4 more years ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, badname22 said:

What ever happened to Lucas Bijker? I remember hearing he was also possibly eligible for Canada a few years back but nothing came of it. This season he's the starting leftback for Mechelen  in the Belgium first tier and i'm pretty sure he would be a good addition to the program.

not elegible because his father is adoptive, under FIFA rules it has to be biological

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

i dont base things off one game. laryea is a utility player who is playing left wing now and thats probably his best position. zbg was benched for piette at RB this year and hasnt even been a fulltime starter. ZBG has like 1 or 2 career assist so what does he offer going forward? 

I’m confused, ZBG has started a lot of games this year at RB for impact and has been a definite bright spot for them there as well. Maybe I’m reading your comment wrong ? ZBG looks great going forward 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Free kick said:

when there possibilities like Pozuelo or central defenders who play for Canadian MLS teams, or maybe even a keeper?   All these are areas of need for the MNT.  Our MNT needs central defenders, an experiened and proven Goalkeeper, and maybe a number 10. 

I don’t see the dire need of a keeper and a number 10? Yes we need CBs but it looks like help could be coming with Scott Kennedy now in 2. Bundesliga and with young talent like Dunn and others. Also you never know what’s gonna happen with Ferreira .
There are three Young Canadian keepers in Serie A and Serie B, a bunch in MLS and we got Max.

We are loaded with offensive talent and we could possible get Ferdi Kadioglu and or Dominik Yankov. 
 

In my eyes there is no excuse why we can’t qualify for 2022, we have the talent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t see the dire need of a keeper and a number 10? Yes we need CBs but it looks like help could be coming with Scott Kennedy now in 2. Bundesliga and with young talent like Dunn and others. Also you never know what’s gonna happen with Ferreira .
There are three Young Canadian keepers in Serie A and Serie B, a bunch in MLS and we got Max.

We are loaded with offensive talent and we could possible get Ferdi Kadioglu and or Dominik Yankov. 
 

In my eyes there is no excuse why we can’t qualify for 2022, we have the talent. 

I'd like to see Dunn, waterman, Ferreira and Kennedy play for Canada. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2020 at 3:44 PM, Mikmacdo said:

I think Peter Shaale is fairly close to becoming eligible for Canada. He came here in 2016 and I have been really impressed with him. Hopefully he plays another year here in Canada. I think between him and Dunn they have been the most impressive CBs in the CPL and could play at a higher level. 

Auro has been here for a few years and would be a really good addition. I wonder if he would be interested. 

I’m pretty sure time here as a university student doesn’t count equal to time spent living/working here or does he not require citizenship to play for us.

Edited by SkuseisLoose
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I'd like to see Dunn, waterman, Ferreira and Kennedy play for Canada. 

If they get minutes they have to be in the conversation. Ferreira would still be a great get but before he was likely looking to get fit and a run of games and now he is looking for a club too. I think we will be low on his list of priorities. 

Dunn looked beastly in CPL. I really hope he gets some minutes for TFC if he is eligible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

i dont base things off one game. laryea is a utility player who is playing left wing now and thats probably his best position. zbg was benched for piette at RB this year and hasnt even been a fulltime starter. ZBG has like 1 or 2 career assist so what does he offer going forward? 

ZBG was carrying a knock. Remember Shome was also played at RB while they were waiting for his fitness to improve. Now he is fully recovered and is a full time starter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually feel that one area where ZBG can improve (and he's young enough where it is plausible to see it happenign) is that final end product (either scoring or the final pass).

But I'd say he's miles ahead of Auro in that regard already, Auro can't score and doesn't get the vast majority of his crosses/passes into the box. ZBG  is perhaps more raw/naive than Auro, but that will lessen with more matches under his belt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I actually feel that one area where ZBG can improve (and he's young enough where it is plausible to see it happenign) is that final end product (either scoring or the final pass).

But I'd say he's miles ahead of Auro in that regard already, Auro can't score and doesn't get the vast majority of his crosses/passes into the box. ZBG  is perhaps more raw/naive than Auro, but that will lessen with more matches under his belt.

ZBG showing no signs of rawness or naivety tonight. Has been a consistent threat going forward and his crosses have been very accurate.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Obinna said:

ZBG showing no signs of rawness or naivety tonight. Has been a consistent threat going forward and his crosses have been very accurate.  

His cross delivery and passing are very good. It's too bad Montreal has no decent forwards to finish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...