Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

8 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Well this is interesting, maybe we aren’t out of the Tomori sweepstakes after all.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/fifa-shapes-new-rule-help-players-switch-national-team/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"The new wording would let players switch eligibility if they played a maximum of three times for the first national team — including tournament qualifying games — before they turned 21, and at least three years earlier."

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this wouldn't help us since Tomori played for England after he turned 21.

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

"The new wording would let players switch eligibility if they played a maximum of three times for the first national team — including tournament qualifying games — before they turned 21, and at least three years earlier."

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this wouldn't help us since Tomori played for England after he turned 21.

But he might have a “case” to revert back to Canada since he only played 3 minutes.

This rule change would definitely favour him specifically.

@SpursFlu yea the line definitely has to be drawn. For instance, what happens when a player starts turning down call ups because he’s at the max in hope of switching to another country. 
I think of our dual nationals in this case who could use their second picks to get their firsts attention.

You want to talk corruption. Wait until you see the payola under the table to get players to switch countries. I wonder how many Nike China Neymar jerseys one could sell or USA Mbappe shirts. Not saying those players are corrupt im saying that system could allow for some funny business and agents are the ones to watch

Edited by SpursFlu

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

You want to talk corruption. Wait until you see the payola under the table to get players to switch countries. I wonder how many Nike China Neymar jerseys one could sell or USA Mbappe shirts. Not saying those players are corrupt im saying that system could allow for some funny business and agents are the ones to watch

It's like you didn't even read what is being proposed.

In more updating of eligibility rules, FIFA wants to clarify how long players must live in a country before they can play for its teams.

The proposal aims to help players who as children moved with their families to a new country for non-soccer reasons.

Three years residency would be required if a player moved before the age of 10, and five years residency if the move was aged 10 to 18.

FIFA’s existing rule already requires a five-year residency from the age of 18 if a player wants to acquire a new national eligibility.

That allowed Brazil-born forwards Elkeson and Aloisio to switch to the current China team after they were naturalized as citizens.

This bit might be good for us, in future.

34 minutes ago, Shway said:

But then you made Neymar China, and Mbappe USA comment, when the rule change would not allow this. It's actually impossible to manipulate it in this way when the rule change states that it doesn't apply to those who have played in a FIFA Final competition......

My friend.. im saying if the rule continued to evolve over the years. So if the rules continued to loosen. You know in the FUTURE.. let's all get in to our imagination station for a second 

Edited by SpursFlu

18 hours ago, Yoginess said:

slippery slope is a fallacy. I have to disagree with you on this one. 

It is only a fallacy if the claim is we would end up in that situation for sure. @SpursFlu is only saying he hopes the worst situation does not occur. I am not sure how people can argue with that line of thought.

Edited by Ruffian

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Just imagine if we could get Cristante and Tomori back omg 😳 

The only thing I hate about this rule is that we will continue clinging to ever-slimmer hopes that we may get people to commit after they have already clearly rejected us.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Look, I don't think that there are many people, unless Busti can play for another national team that is below our level. It's not like we've used that captie way on men because they were good enough to get multiple caps after that. I think that there are more women that would be interested with this rule then men. I can't think of any men we've captied that would fit the rules. We have women who do, because they have dual-nationality, got a go with the senior team, but disappeared. 

8 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

A partial list of who could play for Canada under the new rules.

I think some of these players are eligible to switch under the current rules never mind the new ones. Fernandes has never played in official competition for Portugal at the senior level.

Edited by Norrin Radd

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars