Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

7 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Hasn't Hakkinen already stated he wants to play for Finland as per prior discussion on this board? 

Yup, same as many on this list with their respective preferred country to rep; not everybody gets their wish.

Still worth following in this thread in my opinion and hasn't had any official matchea for Finland. He missed being a senior player on the U20s so might have a harder time playing for full Olympic Qualifiers against older competition. Hard to say yet if he'll end up good enough for full senior caps with Finland or Canada, but I feel he's worth tracking by supporters of both nations.

• 4 weeks later...

Ricardo Ferreira is out of contract with SC Braga as of June 30th, by the sounds of it he's blown out his knee three times and is unlikely to return playing again although you never know, if he signs somewhere that's a sign of him coming back 

Ayo Akinola was included on the U-20 US WC Roster but was ultimately ruled out by injury and replaced by Julien Araujo. Really unfortunate for him, this was a big opportunity for him to showcase himself. Hope he files his one time switch to Canada which he's kept in mind; to be a part of the Olympic Qualifiers in October and push for a call up to the NT eventually. As a 1999' he might not be good enough for USA's U23's but he is for ours 

Fikayo Tomori and England begin the U21 Euro championship from June 16-30

• 2 months later...

Expect him to be capped for the US unless he really blows up then maybe he will hold out for England. So optimistic HA. 

Edit: Looking back though - Ricardo Ferreira is without a club now. Interesting to see where he ends up or if he fully recovers. 

Edited by toontownman

On 8/2/2019 at 12:07 AM, Obinna said:

Sounds like an Igbo surname, so aside from holding UK and American citizenship, he's probably eligible for Nigeria as well.

" Odunze – who holds Canadian, United Kingdom, and United States citizenship –"

So I guess he managed to acquire citizenship before departing. Still hope.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:32 PM, Grandbloke said:

Cabrera is not starting regularly for Montreal. The starting CBs are Diallo and Raitala.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/08/09/montreal-impact-sign-defender-victor-cabrera-new-contract

Has played nearly 5 years for Montreal now. Not a game changer, but plays a position we are weak in and is still only 26. Could be a contributor for a bit.

Managed to catch Dominik Yankov match against Slavia. First time seeing him play.

Looked like he was playing as a ACM in the first half. Part way through the second half it looked like he was pulled back to a CM.

He was very comfortable with the ball, quick turns, skillful (drew quite a few fouls), looked comfortable with both feet, and showed decent vision at times. Pretty active.

His age  and inexperienced showed at times though. Over did it with the dribbling at times that caused turnovers.

Defending wise, he was pretty poor I have to say. shrugged off easily (evident in Slavia's first goal) and easy to get around him. Don't recall him winning a single tackle.

Edited by Colliedor

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I wonder how many dual nationals will be reevaluating their options tomorrow.

Finally a result that might light a fire. I remember the Honduras away game thinking that was the chance to get Hoillet and J DeGuzman on board . No need to remind everyone how that turned out.

It's not that big in terms of older players, I don't know that there are that many dual national impact players left out there that will commit to us.  For youth players that aren't really in the spotlight it could open some eyes and be huge though and thats what we need. This core of players that we have now could push us to unknown heights but we need to keep the production line growing.  

17 hours ago, toontownman said:

For youth players that aren't really in the spotlight it could open some eyes 

Ayo Akinola at the U23 level could be interesting; likely too little time for him to make the switch. Won't be eligible for the next U20 cycle or the even the 2024 Olympic U23 qualifiers (if that is the route they take).

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You mean choosing USA because Canada has so much depth up front and in the midfield??  Better chance of beating out Sargent and Mkennie than Davies and David.

I was thinking more about players such as Cristian Gutierrez or perhaps even someone like Ferdi Kadioglu. Akionla would be behind players such as Millar, Tabla, Bair and perhaps Shaffelburg or Borges on Canada's depth chart. I'm not thinking much about him at the moment.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:43 PM, Norrin Radd said:

I wonder how many dual nationals will be reevaluating their options tomorrow.

I know for a fact one on this list plays for another country because the national team rarely plays friendlies at his age group

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Ferdi Kadioglu is the only player who would deserve a look to the first team. Akinola doesn't make the u23 team for me right now. 

With Tomori likely out of the picture I believe both Ferdi & Gutierrez  are the two best dual nationals.  Both not seeing too much time but even making the 18 man squad for Fenerbahce at 19/20 shows real potential.  Even a 22 year old bench warmer for Colo Colo is right there as well.  If either can get a little more game time, it would be worth a look.  Especially U23

Edited by Corazon

15 hours ago, toontownman said:

Out of everyone Gutierrez is likely closest. Complete conjecture but the fact he was close to signing with Valour makes me think he has leaned towards the CNMT. Hard to displace Miller after last night but another great option with adekugbe and Cordova.

If Gutierrez was close to signing for Valour, can he really be holding out hope for a call up from Chile?

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars