Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

58 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I understand the  The potential fear , do you think players would jump ship though,  We have a really good  roster pool and great chance at making the World Cup 2022 and we have the World Cup in 2026. 

Maybe but probably not based on our current form and momentum. Anyhow, before delve further into this, is this rule change seriously being considered by FIFA?

37 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Maybe but probably not based on our current form and momentum. Anyhow, before delve further into this, is this rule change seriously being considered by FIFA?

Nope, about as likely as us annexing France and taking all their players.

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I understand the  The potential fear , do you think players would jump ship though,  We have a really good  roster pool and great chance at making the World Cup 2022 and we have the World Cup in 2026. 

Sure they potentially could. David would potentially be eligible for USA right? Don't they have a great chance at making the World Cup in 2022 and hosting in 2026. If Eustaquio progresses a bit more he could potentially make Portugal, which you would think would also have a good chance at making the World Cup in 2022.

Let's just leave the worms in the can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Victor Cabrera joined the Montreal Impact in 2015, which means that he would have lived in Canada for five years come next year. He's 26 years old and has never been capped by Argentina at any level. Considering our lack of CB depth, he would be a perfect candidate for naturalization. Has anyone ever asked him about the possibility of playing for Canada internationally?

If he wants to play for Canada - then sign him up. Other than that, just let him be...I used to mention him, but now I rather wait for what the CPL might produce, and just rock with the current CB depth we have. Currently, he just won't make a difference. 

13 hours ago, Shway said:

If he wants to play for Canada - then sign him up. Other than that, just let him be...I used to mention him, but now I rather wait for what the CPL might produce, and just rock with the current CB depth we have. Currently, he just won't make a difference. 

(assuming we're talking cabrera) 26 and seeing pretty constant playing time year to year and has been good for montreal in stressful situations. he'd be pretty useful and likely a starter.

Edited by matty

6 hours ago, matty said:

(assuming we're talking cabrera) 26 and seeing pretty constant playing time year to year and has been good for montreal in stressful situation. he'd be pretty useful and likely a starter.

I would take him. We don’t have too many CB’s playing regularly at MLS level or higher. 

19 hours ago, matty said:

(assuming we're talking cabrera) 26 and seeing pretty constant playing time year to year and has been good for montreal in stressful situations. he'd be pretty useful and likely a starter.

Likely a starter? As a RB maybe, CB nah... I'll work with what we have. He's not better than Doneil or James for me at the moment. His career has stagnated a bit in what should be his prime years...  just last year he only played 15 games for whatever reason. So like I said, if he declares he wants to play for Canada then great... Other than that, I wouldn't campaign for him as I would Piatti, even if it's just for 2 games. 

Edited by Shway

Cabrera a starter for us?? Oh boy, I dont get to see many impact games but he has been unimpressive anytime I watched them.  He has a nice resume but has never broken through to be a full time starter in MLS.  And it seems like he isnt on an upward trend and is benefitting from having signed a long term contract. I'd still take Henry with james or bring back an old vet in a pinch. I also agree with SHway, and would rather wait for some others (TMG, Corneius, Montogmery, Kennedy, Dunn etc maybe even a CPL) to grow into the team.  

And isnt most of this talk just pie in the sky?? Do you know if he moves back to Argentina in the offseason, or have any desire to switch??  

If Doneil Henry scares a lot of people here with his mistakes then watch out for Cabrera, he is a mistake waiting to happen. He can wow you sometimes with a beautiful pass or a great tackle but just watch the highlights of the 7-1 defeat of the Impact against Sporting KC and you’ll see why we shouldn’t hope for him to play for the MNT. 

Last year he fell out of the starting lineup and as only started this year after Diallo was red carded and for the midweek games. He’s not the worst as a spot starter in MLS but like others have said, I’d rather give the chance to somebody else.

Edited by HochelagaFC

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

He would be a very solid addition to our team.  I disagree with the posters above .  He would be a starter for us at CB right now with Henry.  

He’s in his prime, in form and a starter at a good level.  Cabrera would really help our team qualify this cycle.

Cabrera is not starting regularly for Montreal. The starting CBs are Diallo and Raitala.

I'm kinda surprised he hasn't turned out for El Salvador yet. They have tried, I think, but he had declined in the past. Same with Nick deLeon and T&T.

Neither player is going to get into the USMNT, which shows that sometimes a player is just not interested in playing for another country just because they are eligible on a technicality.

Could be the case with Cabrera, we'll have to see.

And even if he does want to suit up for us, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he'd be selected.

Wotherspoon only has 1 cap thus far. I know the midfield is crowded compared to CB, but Spoony also has a better resume, so it evens out. If he can't get into our team, not confident Cabrera can.

I think Cabrera would be considered, but would ultimately be on the outside looking in.

Edited by Obinna

13 hours ago, Shway said:

Likely a starter? As a RB maybe, CB nah... I'll work with what we have. He's not better than Doneil or James for me at the moment. His career has stagnated a bit in what should be his prime years...  just last year he only played 15 games for whatever reason. So like I said, if he declares he wants to play for Canada then great... Other than that, I wouldn't campaign for him as I would Piatti, even if it's just for 2 games. 

he's played in 9 games this year already and missed like 2 months last year with injury. i'd say he's in range of james so starter isn't radical to picture for me.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I'm kinda surprised he hasn't turned out for El Salvador yet. They have tried, I think, but he had declined in the past. Same with Nick deLeon and T&T.

Neither player is going to get into the USMNT, which shows that sometimes a player is just not interested in playing for another country just because they are eligible on a technicality.

Could be the case with Cabrera, we'll have to see.

And even if he does want to suit up for us, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion he'd be selected.

Wotherspoon only has 1 cap thus far. I know the midfield is crowded compared to CB, but Spoony also has a better resume, so it evens out. If he can't get into our team, not confident Cabrera can.

I think Cabrera would be considered, but would ultimately be on the outside looking in.

True, but Zavaleta's case is interesting - it's not just a technicality - his father apparently represented El Salvador.  

Agree on your commets re Cabrera.

Vancouver product Jonas Hakkinen listed as the number 4 hottest breakthrough player in the entire Finnish League on this list:

https://www.suomifutis.com/2019/04/top-5-seuraa-heita-tassa-tulevat-veikkausliigan-kuumimmat-lapimurtopelaajat/

He's played mostly CB to rave reviews but played at least part of a league match this week at DM, I think. Has featured in each of the club's first five league matches, and played 90 in their last cup match, taking them to the League Cup semis later in May.  The article mentions his parents are from the Turku region and that he speaks Finnish well. He already had a sniff this past winter from a Finnish U21 B side; at this rate he's likely to get a look again at this level or higher sometime this season, I'd imagine. Just turned 20, 186 cm. 

Edited by nolando

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars