Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

10 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Great for him.  Didn’t realize he was getting consistent run outs with the Azzurri.  Thanks for correcting.  

Imagine Bryan had committed to Canada our midfield would be outrageously good.

This could have happen !!! ?

1A8C7051-C17E-4FA3-95B9-B4636ADAB889.jpeg

Hey Victor get off your fat Canadian Italian  Caribbean nations ass kisser ass and change the rules for one time switches #OperationGetCRISTANTE!

Edited by SpecialK

18 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

This could have happen !!! ?

1A8C7051-C17E-4FA3-95B9-B4636ADAB889.jpeg

Hey Victor get off your fat Canadian Italian  Caribbean nations ass kisser ass and change the rules for one time switches #OperationGetCRISTANTE!

Go easy, last thing we need is George Weah paying up Phonzie and flying him off to Liberia! ?

UK based here, you will get Tomori eventually, based on his youth representation for Canada

He is nowhere near the full England national team, Derby Countys form has nosedived too

I would be more concerned he chooses to switch to his other eligible nation, Nigeria.

However, Chelseas transfer embargo is still up in the air. But if they choose to retain him, he has zero chance of getting minutes, therefore stunting his career path.

Edited by Jmhutchinson

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

Ranjitsingh not even in the squad for T&T. I don't know what they have against this guy but we should pursue him. Problem being he's not going to shove Borjan aside obviously, but as a back-up he's better than Thomas (and maybe Crepeau). Let's get him in the Gold Cup. 

I'd take him over Thomas, but certainly not Crepeau

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

Ranjitsingh not even in the squad for T&T. I don't know what they have against this guy but we should pursue him. Problem being he's not going to shove Borjan aside obviously, but as a back-up he's better than Thomas (and maybe Crepeau). Let's get him in the Gold Cup. 

Isn't it the other way around? Greg is pissed at their FA for not paying him and some of the other players?

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Isn't it the other way around? Greg is pissed at their FA for not paying him and some of the other players?

Even more reasons for him to jump ship. The fact is he hasn't been capped at all by them. I just don't get it, they should be lucky to get a good young goalkeeper-prospect like him. 

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

Even more reasons for him to jump ship. The fact is he hasn't been capped at all by them. I just don't get it, they should be lucky to get a good young goalkeeper-prospect like him. 

What i meant is that he's not accepting call-ups from them. Probably waiting for Canada to call him.

24 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I get it, but he was with them for a couple of years so they had plenty of chances to do it. I know he's back-up atm but often we see MLS-coaches switch goalies mid-season. I bet he'll end up as the #1 goalkeeper at OCSC.

This.^^  If he can be a top USL keeper, make a MLS roster/be in the running for a starting MLS job he cant be much behind Crepeau as a #3-4 keeper for CMNT.  Why wouldnt we call and cap him? Only a few years older than Crepeau, at 26 who knows where his ceiling is if he can breakthough this season.  And cynically it would take away from T*T, if they arent going to call him we should.  

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

This.^^  If he can be a top USL keeper, make a MLS roster/be in the running for a starting MLS job he cant be much behind Crepeau as a #3-4 keeper for CMNT.  Why wouldnt we call and cap him? Only a few years older than Crepeau, at 26 who knows where his ceiling is if he can breakthough this season.  And cynically it would take away from T*T, if they arent going to call him we should.  

Pull a USA with Teal Bunbury.  Essentially playing a guy in a couple games and tying him to the country for life.  Even if not a big part of Canada's future, you do prevent another nation from potentially becoming a stronger team.

Besides Borjan is getting up there in age.  After Borjan, our keeper position is really up for grabs.  A few young goalies all very close in quality as the backup currenly.

Friendlies won't captie, so that's a whole different argument. 

More to your point: we have capped lot's of players who didn't end up becoming meaningful attributes. Aleman, Froese, Bustos, Leutwiler, Wotherspoon come to mind. There will always be one that escapes, however much you  try to prevent that. Sames goes for every nation, I think the US would like to have had a chance with David as well. 

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Our player pool has started to become deep enough, with more youth pushing through, that I really only want to cap tie guys who can be clear starter quality guys for us.

So maybe Tomori is one but the Evan Bush’s of the world aren’t who we should go after.  

I am a bit more cynical.  For anyone with options, if you wait until they are clearly going to be starter quality, other nations will also likely be sniffing around.  I am all for offering promising young prospects a chance to play and get capped when the opportunity arises.  They aren't naive - they know what it means to accept the call.   They are pros with people advising them - it isn't  like we are tricking them.  And they always have the option of declining to keep their international options open.  

I say we build the player pool where the opportunities exist to do it, and where young prospects are willing to make the commitment in the belief that they will get to the level required to secure a spot going forward. 

Cap tying a guy or two that are big prospects is fine and everything, but I think we should be mostly obsessed with calling up our best squad. Today we are talking about Mikael Cantave and Greg Ranjitsingh, a couple years ago we were talking about Fraser Aird and "I still want to call him Jeremy" Wotherspoon. We got Aird and Wotherspoon, but they don't get called up. I'm not saying it was a wasted effort, but just maybe we shouldn't get too worked up about it.

In recent years we have gotten Akindele, Hoilett, Tabla, Eustaquio, Arfield, plus guys that technically were duals but were seemingly no-doubters (Davies, Millar, James, Larin?, David). Who have we lost in that time period (since 2015) that is actually good enough to be on the first team? I know there was Cristante, who only had tenuous ties to Canada I believe. Ferreira and Tomori are still technically up for grabs but not with us at the moment. Is there anyone else?

Akinola started for the USA U20s in their final pre-World Cup camp as they had a very impressive 2-2 draw against France U20. France tends to only play up potential superstars in age groups since their pool is so deep, thus their U20 team consists of many very good professional players, such as Dan-Axel Zagadou, who starts for Borussia Dortmund, and Jean-Clair Todibo, who recently earned a transfer to Barcelona. I believe that's their central defense pair. And France U20's fullbacks "only" start in Ligue 1 and the Eredivisie. That's the caliber of defenders Akinola was facing in the match.

Akinola also showed very well in TFC's last match and was named to the bench for the MLS Team of the Week for Week 3. Clearly a prospect worth pursuing. Except for Tomori, I'm not sure if there's another more important prospect currently representing another country's youth team.

Edited by ChuckMe92

23 hours ago, shamrock said:

Friendlies won't captie, so that's a whole different argument. 

More to your point: we have capped lot's of players who didn't end up becoming meaningful attributes. Aleman, Froese, Bustos, Leutwiler, Wotherspoon come to mind. There will always be one that escapes, however much you  try to prevent that. Sames goes for every nation, I think the US would like to have had a chance with David as well. 

Everyone knows they can't be cap-tied in friendlies. But what having more friendlies does, it allows for more squad rotation. Meaning if we have 2 games. 1 CNL and another friendly...players aren't cap-tied will play in the CNL. 

The thing is, those players you listed weren't on there other nations radar... So to me its not really cap-tieing moment the way we are suggesting. 

20 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Our player pool has started to become deep enough, with more youth pushing through, that I really only want to cap tie guys who can be clear starter quality guys for us.

So maybe Tomori is one but the Evan Bush’s of the world aren’t who we should go after.  

Evan Bush would be a clear number 2 keeper for us in a position we have very little depth or quality at. If he was interested in playing for us (I have seen no indication that he is) I don't know why we wouldn't want to encourage him to take citizenship and play for us. Even if Crepeau manages to establish himself as a MLS starting keeper we still have very little depth at this position. I dislike how FIFA determines eligibility and in the long term we want to develop top notch Canadians in each position but as long as the rules are what they are we should be using them to our advantage to the full extent just like all the other countries are.

12 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Everyone knows they can't be cap-tied in friendlies. But what having more friendlies does, it allows for more squad rotation. Meaning if we have 2 games. 1 CNL and another friendly...players aren't cap-tied will play in the CNL. 

The thing is, those players you listed weren't on there other nations radar... So to me its not really cap-tieing moment the way we are suggesting. 

Everybody wants more friendlies, so I leave that out of it. Saying they weren't on the radar isn't an argument 'cause I hear it the other way around all the time: why wasn't so-and-so on our radar?? It just means we were first and the reason most of them got their one feature was to prevent them from playing for another country, 

13 hours ago, Kent said:

Cap tying a guy or two that are big prospects is fine and everything, but I think we should be mostly obsessed with calling up our best squad. Today we are talking about Mikael Cantave and Greg Ranjitsingh, a couple years ago we were talking about Fraser Aird and "I still want to call him Jeremy" Wotherspoon. We got Aird and Wotherspoon, but they don't get called up. I'm not saying it was a wasted effort, but just maybe we shouldn't get too worked up about it.

In recent years we have gotten Akindele, Hoilett, Tabla, Eustaquio, Arfield, plus guys that technically were duals but were seemingly no-doubters (Davies, Millar, James, Larin?, David). Who have we lost in that time period (since 2015) that is actually good enough to be on the first team? I know there was Cristante, who only had tenuous ties to Canada I believe. Ferreira and Tomori are still technically up for grabs but not with us at the moment. Is there anyone else?

I think there's someone in South Korea's program but can't remember what the fucking story was or even who it was (I think his mom was born here). Anyone got anything on that?

Also just to be that guy, Cristante's ties were stronger than tenuous iirc. He's visited Canada for family reasons a good number of times and apparently still does as of 2017.

5 hours ago, matty said:

I think there's someone in South Korea's program but can't remember what the fucking story was or even who it was (I think his mom was born here). Anyone got anything on that?

Also just to be that guy, Cristante's ties were stronger than tenuous iirc. He's visited Canada for family reasons a good number of times and apparently still does as of 2017.

67C6B002-147E-4F46-9976-8C06BA68E69C.jpeg

0B54E066-CCAB-48F6-ADAA-3A1BFD81F015.jpeg

AF89C287-FB9E-44F7-896F-0F1842C95443.jpeg

5 hours ago, shamrock said:

Everybody wants more friendlies, so I leave that out of it. Saying they weren't on the radar isn't an argument 'cause I hear it the other way around all the time: why wasn't so-and-so on our radar?? It just means we were first and the reason most of them got their one feature was to prevent them from playing for another country, 

Look all im saying is more game opportunities, allows us to prevent/mimic Teal Bunbury type situations.

He may not get another sniff for the US team but he would be depth at least for CMNT. 

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars