Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

We have really done well getting our Duals, still work to be done but the CMNT revolution continues, this will go a long way in getting a dual like Akinola or Tomori, talent wise we might be #3 in Concacaf now and we’re young.

Don't really need akinola but tomori would be great. 

Eustaquio is a pretty great get for our player pool.  He’s not going to become an immediate starter like Arfield was but he really helps fill in our high quality depth.

We now have very good depth even after Hutch retires post gold cup.

Everything seems to be going more or less right with our talent development pool lately.

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Are we in a place where we can hard pass on anyone??  An injury here and there and we are back to struggling to find a striker.  I'd rather cast a wider net and not be kicking myself later on  because you never know who will take off in their mid 20's.  

I agree.  I mean, is this the same Akinola that has 7 goals in 7 games for USA U20 including 5 goals in 5 games in qualification (albeit against weak opponents.  Canada's U20 squad had 10 goals in qualification and came up short behind Panama.  So while our U20 squad is watching, there's a very good chance Akinola is playing the in the U20 World Cup this year.

Akinola may not currently be at the quality to play for our Canada's MNT right now.   Perhaps he may never been in the fold for our Senior squad but at 19 he still a lot of potential.

14 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I agree.  I mean, is this the same Akinola that has 7 goals in 7 games for USA U20 including 5 goals in 5 games in qualification (albeit against weak opponents.  Canada's U20 squad had 10 goals in qualification and came up short behind Panama.  So while our U20 squad is watching, there's a very good chance Akinola is playing the in the U20 World Cup this year.

Akinola may not currently be at the quality to play for our Canada's MNT right now.   Perhaps he may never been in the fold for our Senior squad but at 19 he still a lot of potential.

Akinola would have, and still would, helped out youth team. If his career progresses he will help our senior team. I can see him switching, and to be honest maybe his time spent with the Americans will have developed him better than with our team (which as many often point out, barely gets together).

Yikes, I don't think Canada should be passing on any even remotely promising prospect! Plus who knows, maybe Akinola explodes the next couple years and ends up the first choice striker at Real Madrid (hey, technically it could happen lol). Then we'd look dumb!

Although I agree with the general feeling around here that Tomori is the dual national that really fits a need for Canada positionally. Especially since Ferreria can't stay healthy.

• 3 weeks later...

For however little it's worth, 2005-born attacker Mataeo Bunbury of Minnesota United was just called up to the United States U14s. He's apparently the son of Alex and either the brother or half-brother of Teal.

2004-born Toronto FC goalkeeper Adisa De Rosario, son of Dwayne, is listed on the Development Academy site with US nationality. You'd assume he was born in California when Dwayne was playing there, then eventually raised in North York (listed as his hometown).

2004-born Montreal Impact attacker Medgy Alexandre is listed on the Development Academy site with US nationality, apparently born in the US and raised in Montreal. Unclear if he has Canadian citizenship, but he probably does. He was just named the Impact U15 player of the month. He and De Rosario might be ones to watch if the US federation attempts to pull another "Akinola" in the near future. US-born Jonathan David is more than good enough for the USMNT right now so the US might be happy to call in some US-eligible talents from Canada.

Edited by ChuckMe92

Great info Chuckme92, thanks.

Like most players of this day, duals will probably wait, until they have to absolutely decide, as to which the best option of which country to play for.  I don't think that's right, but it is what it is.  Just like it seems Akinola is doing right now.  Luckily, there never seemed to be a decision point for David, who is looking like a great player for us.  We have been on the right side of most of these decisions  lately so hopefully the CMNT can continue to improve and those that were were born or raised here will stay and represent us.

32 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Great info Chuckme92, thanks.

Like most players of this day, duals will probably wait, until they have to absolutely decide, as to which the best option of which country to play for.  I don't think that's right, but it is what it is.  Just like it seems Akinola is doing right now.  Luckily, there never seemed to be a decision point for David, who is looking like a great player for us.  We have been on the right side of most of these decisions  lately so hopefully the CMNT can continue to improve and those that were were born or raised here will stay and represent us.

I wonder if we will see some young players switch for the U23  Olympics. Like LB Bassong, CB Martín Amuz, LB Gutiérrez

29 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t get why Gutiérrez hasn’t switch yet. His chances with Chile are very slim but with us he would be in the running for the starting minutes. Also he’s got a chance to play with his brother. 

In Herdman's interview on TSN (Gianluca posted it somewhere), he stated that he has secured another dual national that has played youth soccer for another major country.  My gut says it is Gutierrez.

6 minutes ago, Ivan said:

In Herdman's interview on TSN (Gianluca posted it somewhere), he stated that he has secured another dual national that has played youth soccer for another major country.  My gut says it is Gutierrez.

Pretty sure he was referring to Stephen Estaquio’s recent declaration to play for Canada.

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Pretty sure he was referring to Stephen Estaquio’s recent declaration to play for Canada.

Don't think so.  Estaquio decision came out a few weeks ago.  The interview was a few days ago.  When Wileman and Caldwell pressed Herdman for who it was, Herdman said he couldn't say.  If so, why would it be Estaquio?  He is now public knowledge.

8 hours ago, Ivan said:

Don't think so.  Estaquio decision came out a few weeks ago.  The interview was a few days ago.  When Wileman and Caldwell pressed Herdman for who it was, Herdman said he couldn't say.  If so, why would it be Estaquio?  He is now public knowledge.

Unless he did two similar interviews, with Wileman and Caldwell, sitting about 20 feet in front of a podium and backdrop, where he talked about another dual national committing, coming from a traditional soccer nation, and it being like Christmas, and Wilemand asking for a hint? That was Feb 11 I think. What video are you referring to?

16 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t get why Gutiérrez hasn’t switch yet. His chances with Chile are very slim but with us he would be in the running for the starting minutes. Also he’s got a chance to play with his brother. 

This was said a few years ago. Replace Gutiérrez with de Guzman and Chile with Netherlands

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars