Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

28 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

If Gutierrez was close to signing for Valour, can he really be holding out hope for a call up from Chile?

I never said he was holding out for Chile.  I just know he is a dual national that played for Chilean U20 program and yet to commit to a senior program.

If he was to join his brother at Valour, I would almost certainly expect him to commit to Canada.  However, at that point, it would also need to be seen if he is still of that quality to play for Canada.  But making the 18 for Colo Colo to joining an expansion league in Canada would be a significant drop for him.  But I would be all for it.

Edited by Corazon

21 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Guttierrez “liked” Cordova’s post match celebration picture on Instagram. I can’t imagine he’s still holding out for Chile but it’s always possible he just doesn’t want to commit to international football yet.

Maybe its an omen 😂.  Eustaquio "liked" CMNT post when Tabla committed to the program.  Then a year later, he joined the program himself.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I've read rumours that Gutierrez is a bit of a problem attitude wise.  I'd like him to commit and start with the U23 team first (obviously) - we just started a 22 year old at LB who didn't look too bad.  

He did have a few issues.

1) He isn't a teenager anymore.

2) The dude has a kid now (like 1 years old); being a father tends to calm a lot of guys down.

It might also explain his reluctance to move to CPL.

It's tough to move to Winnipeg with a baby only a few months old when the family is all in Chile. Even if he is riding the pine down there, Colo Colo is a big club and I'm sure they could compete with CPL on wages.

As an identical twin, there is also the psychological aspect of "finding your own path" as opposed to following his brother to Winnipeg.

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

As an identical twin, there is also the psychological aspect of "finding your own path" as opposed to following his brother to Winnipeg.

Very true, noticed that they hadn’t played together at the club level since their youth days.  Then on the other hand you have the Sedin twins who mirrored their careers.  😂

Edited by CanadaFan123

• 1 month later...

The tweet was deleted but Ilya Orlov (HC of UofT Varisty Blues) mentioned that he and his scouting network have identified a number of potential Canadian Dual nationals, including one in a Bundesliga academy. He goes on to say that the CSA simply don't have the ability to find these players and many are open to calls.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

That kid who posted here a few times a few years back came on as a late sub in Northern Ireland's ass-whooping by the Germans. Lavery is his name. Apparently, his 4th cap for them.

I think you're referring to Shayne Lavery, the 20 year old forward. But the Canadian I know who plays for NI is Caolan Lavery, who has never had a senior cap for NI. Are they related?

32 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The tweet was deleted but Ilya Orlov (HC of UofT Varisty Blues) mentioned that he and his scouting network have identified a number of potential Canadian Dual nationals, including one in a Bundesliga academy. He goes on to say that the CSA simply don't have the ability to find these players and many are open to calls.

I think the future capture of dual nationals will be done by the CPL and less by CSA. I think we will see more CPL teams bringing in one or two young int'l players i.e. from an African, Latin American or Asian country at a young age and then they will get their Canadian citizenship.  The CPL has a contract with the CSA and I am sure there must be some agreement to help the development and identification of  a . talent b. dual nationals

Edited by Boominbooty

45 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

I think the future capture of dual nationals will be done by the CPL and less by CSA. I think we will see more CPL teams bringing in one or two young int'l players i.e. from an African, Latin American or Asian country at a young age and then they will get their Canadian citizenship.  The CPL has a contract with the CSA and I am sure there must be some agreement to help the development and identification of  a . talent b. dual nationals

I dont know...it all sounds good but after all these years with MLS, how many duals have we naturalized??  I think maybe we have lost more to the US as the MLS clubs have steered potential CDN duals that way.  I wouldnt hold my breath on the CPL bringing in guys that can make our squad.  

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I dont know...it all sounds good but after all these years with MLS, how many duals have we naturalized??  I think maybe we have lost more to the US as the MLS clubs have steered potential CDN duals that way.  I wouldnt hold my breath on the CPL bringing in guys that can make our squad.  

Yeah - I also think the real trick is when we find gems hiding in foreign leagues that have FIFA-approved ties to Canada.  It isn’t about getting new citizens, it is about unearthing the Arfield’s and Eustaquio’s of the world. 

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah - I also think the real trick is when we find gems hiding in foreign leagues that have FIFA-approved ties to Canada.  It isn’t about getting new citizens, it is about unearthing the Arfield’s and Eustaquio’s of the world. 

Perhaps, but I think the CPL might be the route to get the semi-pro  or university player with dual citizenship who would otherwise never see the light of day on the field and developing and possibly playing for Canada. Won't say it will happen all the time but I think you'll see clubs picking up more young dual (multi) citizenship players whose citizenships and loyalties are up in the air and just need a place to play regularly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 6:51 AM, SthMelbRed said:

I thought it was the same guy.

Different person, much younger and more promising. No relation, at least not close if any. The Canadian Lavery hasn't been called up to NI in years - switching wasn't a good move for him. Like Teal's move, but worse.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

As tweeted by Canucks Abroad and reported by Diez.hn, Marco Dominguez has filed his one time switch for Guatemala, and is therefore no longer eligible for us.

http://www.diez.hn/centroamerica/1346530-498/marco-dominguez-seleccion-guatemala-canada-fifa-antigua-qatar-2022

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Dominguez

Not surprised. Happens every game of Football Manager, but I think to Dominican Republic. 😂😂😂

42 minutes ago, BCM said:

Different person, much younger and more promising. No relation, at least not close if any. The Canadian Lavery hasn't been called up to NI in years - switching wasn't a good move for him. Like Teal's move, but worse.

Caolan Lavery is playing with Walsall, who are mid-table in League 2 England (4th tier). He's jumped around plenty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caolan_Lavery

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Caolan Lavery is playing with Walsall, who are mid-table in League 2 England (4th tier). He's jumped around plenty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caolan_Lavery

Yes. Looked like he had some promise around 2015-16 and actually received a call up when he was at Wednesday but never featured. Now on the decline and miles away from the national team. He would have some caps with us but in retrospect not a great loss. Wonder if there's any regret with the switch...

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars